Quantcast
Has your office/company laid people off? PART 3 - Page 66 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: .

Voters
284. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, people have already been laid off but there will not likely be anymore layoffs

29 10.21%
  • Yes, people have already been laid off and there will probably be more layoffs as well

128 45.07%
  • No, no one has been laid off yet but there will likely be layoffs in the coming months

16 5.63%
  • No, no one has been laid off yet and likely will not be any layoffs

96 33.80%
  • I WAS laid off, but have since found other employment

15 5.28%
Page 66 of 71 FirstFirst ... 56 65 66 67 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 1412

Thread: Has your office/company laid people off? PART 3

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by Cos

I was speaking with one of your classmates who worked at my office for his summer job last year. He already has a firm offer with Kiewit and Shell just called him asking if he was still looking.

Point being there are still jobs out there, just got to find them.
    And be a higher performer than your competition. I agree, there are jobs out there,they're just not being handed to any engineer with a heartbeat like they have been in the past.

Originally posted by Zifnab
    Ugh this is a depressing thread haha. As a fresh 2015 Electrical Engineer from uofc, employment opportunities have been absolutely horrible. 100+ applications and a less then 10 rejections. Doesn't seem like companies are gonna be hiring back anytime soon
    Electrical in Calgary isn't in hot demand at the best of times though. You sorta got the wrong degree for Calgary. If you move out of province or states side your prospects will look rosier... States side you can write your own cheque down in the valley if you are willing to do embedded type development.
    Last edited by mazdavirgin; 12-12-2015 at 06:16 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Ugh this is a depressing thread haha. As a fresh 2015 Electrical Engineer from uofc, employment opportunities have been absolutely horrible. 100+ applications and a less then 10 rejections. Doesn't seem like companies are gonna be hiring back anytime soon
    I didnt find much for electrical opportunities when I graduated. I ended up getting started in automation / controls instead and its worked out pretty good so far.

My Ride
    Bicycle

My cousin was a EE grad of 2009. Jobless for 1, took master for 2, another 6 month before he landed 1st job.

My friend is ME grad of 2000, took him also a year and tough it out in Med hat for 3 years before getting his P.Eng and comes back to Calgary.

It may take time and you may have to find something else for the time being.

So the company i'm at is looking for a P.Eng with about 10yrs of experience in EPCM type work. If you're interested please PM me for details.

Word on the street is Trican laid off again today... Can anyone confirm?

My Ride
    Toyota’s

Originally posted by vengie
    Can confirm, mostly engineers this time. A dozen or something like that.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    I've posted this in multiple threads over the last couple of years, but it's worth repeating.

Your first job out of university is often very hard to get. You'll work harder to land it, and it'll be less glamourous, then you were led to believe during university. That's not a new phenomenon, and it has nothing to do with the economy. So suck it up and work harder.
    Definitely true on every aspect I spent months looking for a glamorous engineering job and ended up doing budgeting quoting and procurement for a panel fab company. Moved somewhere bigger and still had to work my way up doing rough starter jobs and studies. But do it the best you can and it does pay off

My Ride
    Family Hauler

There is a need for good electrical engineers at all EPC's because a rule of thumb all their electrical work blows.... at least for the 5-6 that have done work for me

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Originally posted by vengie
    Originally posted by birdman86

Can confirm, mostly engineers this time. A dozen or something like that.
    Only a few of the people laid off were actual engineers. It would be more accurate to say that the layoffs were in their technical services group. At least 3 were EIT's with ~6months with the company.

Not the massacre that they experienced earlier in the year but the layoffs were significant. Who knows if this is precedence for further cuts or just thinning out the technical group based on work load? There were a few people at their field bases too but it was only a couple here and a couple there.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

I've posted this in multiple threads over the last couple of years, but it's worth repeating.

Your first job out of university is often very hard to get. You'll work harder to land it, and it'll be less glamourous, then you were led to believe during university. That's not a new phenomenon, and it has nothing to do with the economy. So suck it up and work harder.
    It wasn't always like this. Just had lunch with a friend today who graduated out of University in the 80's and most of the graduates had 10+ job offers as they were getting ready to graduate.

Times have definitely changed, and the competition is higher and greater then ever.

A definite key to success these days is getting involved in the O&G community. Make friends, join clubs, network. Who you know is just as important as what you know.

My Ride
    NC1

5pm Global News Royal LePage Calgary is closing today it went bankrupt?! Some realtors aren't gonna get their commissions?!

But I can't find any link anywhere else. Am I seeing things?!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by max_boost
    5pm Global News Royal LePage Calgary is closing today it went bankrupt?! Some realtors aren't gonna get their commissions?!

But I can't find any link anywhere else. Am I seeing things?!
    Yup, 163 realtors and staff affected. Royal LePage foothills is no more.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2401060/ro...erta-branches/
    Last edited by Xtrema; 12-14-2015 at 07:04 PM.

Well, thankyou for the helpful feedback. It's definitely nice to hear some different views of the situation. I'm sure there are still quite a few jobs for EIT's out, but the vast majority of my classmates i've kept in touch with haven't been so lucky including myself. @ExtraSlow, It's true i might be making excuses for myself, but having my offers rescinded right before graduation does feel like it is partly the economy. With so many senior/intermediate/experienced engineers laid off fighting for entry level positions, I feel like new grads are definitely at a slight disadvantage at the moment.

I'd be pretty scared if I had zero experience graduating right now. If you have some experience there could be opportunities as you are cheap labor. Gotta keep trying!

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by lasimmon
    I'd be pretty scared if I had zero experience graduating right now. If you have some experience there could be opportunities as you are cheap labor. Gotta keep trying!
    No kidding, I graduated in 2011 and had a hard enough time getting my foot in the door.

TBH the job I got I was in no way qualified for either, they were desperate to fill a position in a certain time frame and only had a handful of applicants who were all new grads. Very thankful though because it sorta threw me in the deep end and helped me progress quickly thus far.

With so many senior/intermediate/experienced engineers laid off fighting for entry level positions, I feel like new grads are definitely at a slight disadvantage at the moment.
    Keep in mind you have one advantage that the more experienced engineers don't: You're cheap labor and probably won't be looking to jump ship for a more senior position.
    Last edited by pheoxs; 12-15-2015 at 10:29 AM.

My Ride
    Z

Always do internship
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by g-m
    Always do internship

My Ride
    TL

Originally posted by g-m
    Always do internship
    i always suggest people to go to U of A or waterloo to participate in the co-op program. it offers a chance to do 4 month terms with different companies and build a way massive network than one 16 month internship. I may be unique, but I had a 16 month internship at a smaller company, by the end of my term the company got acquired and removed all employees I knew so I had no connections to get back at that company.

summer terms are a lot tougher unless you have a relative in the company or extremely high GPA (which I never did)

Originally posted by dandia89

i always suggest people to go to U of A or waterloo to participate in the co-op program. it offers a chance to do 4 month terms with different companies and build a way massive network than one 16 month internship. I may be unique, but I had a 16 month internship at a smaller company, by the end of my term the company got acquired and removed all employees I knew so I had no connections to get back at that company.

summer terms are a lot tougher unless you have a relative in the company or extremely high GPA (which I never did)
    I didn't do co-op, but did summer terms. Didn't know anyone at companies or had a really high GPA. Just applied to job postings and got the jobs.

Page 66 of 71 FirstFirst ... 56 65 66 67 ... LastLast