Quantcast
Pet Stores - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pet Stores

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Default Pet Stores

We are getting a new puppy in a couple of weeks, and was wondering where everyone goes to get their food, toys, supplies, etc? We are in the SW if that helps.

We fed our last dog Acana, so that's most likely what we'll go with unless there's something that is better value(Orijen is a quite a bit more money/protein). But what is everyone feeding their dogs these days?

My Ride
    K20A2

we feed ours blue buffalo chicken and rice one the lamb ones make our dog farts too stinky so chicken in rice it is for our dog.
    Built with Chopsticks

My Ride
    '11 Titan/01 RC51

petsmart - royal canin.

once every couple weeks we also alternate a cesars cuisine pack.

My Ride
    550i, X5

I have fed my dog every brand of high-end dog food under the sun...from Orijen, to Royal Canin, to Blue Buffalo etc etc etc. He got ear infections from every single brand.

I took him to the vet several times, hundreds of dollars in visits, always giving antibacterial medication and suggesting a change in diet etc.

After hearing a story from a friend that had a similar situation with their dog (allergy but not ears), they said they tried Iams because they figured if every brand was going to cause an infection anyway, he might as well buy the cheap shit from Wal-Mart. He claimed all infections and allergies went away 2 weeks into using Iams.

I figured what the heck and applied the same logic, if all foods are causing the ear infections I might as well only pay $35 a bag instead of the $95 I had been paying since he was a puppy. Well, what do you know...infection went away completely. Has been gone for 2 years now on Iams. My wife actually bought Pedigree once cause they were out of his style Iams and he got an infection in 3 days.

It sounds crazy, but I will always swear by Iams from now on. As well as pay less than half of what I did for 6 years. Truth.

Originally posted by rage2
    Of course, a perfectly good explanation is boring, so the answer is, it's fucking voodoo.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

I recently switched to Blue Buffalo for my 8 year old Pomeranian. She seems to enjoy it and as gross as it sounds, her stools look much healthier. I go to PetSmart for all my supplies.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by E46..sTyLez
    Iams got a bad rep after their food killed pets in 2007. I'm surprised they are still around but good that it worked out for you.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Originally posted by E46..sTyLez
    I have fed my dog every brand of high-end dog food under the sun...from Orijen, to Royal Canin, to Blue Buffalo etc etc etc. He got ear infections from every single brand.

I took him to the vet several times, hundreds of dollars in visits, always giving antibacterial medication and suggesting a change in diet etc.

After hearing a story from a friend that had a similar situation with their dog (allergy but not ears), they said they tried Iams because they figured if every brand was going to cause an infection anyway, he might as well buy the cheap shit from Wal-Mart. He claimed all infections and allergies went away 2 weeks into using Iams.

I figured what the heck and applied the same logic, if all foods are causing the ear infections I might as well only pay $35 a bag instead of the $95 I had been paying since he was a puppy. Well, what do you know...infection went away completely. Has been gone for 2 years now on Iams. My wife actually bought Pedigree once cause they were out of his style Iams and he got an infection in 3 days.

It sounds crazy, but I will always swear by Iams from now on. As well as pay less than half of what I did for 6 years. Truth.

Sounds like it worked out for you, but based on their(Iams) track record(potential animal cruelty, and numerous pet food recalls) I can't ever see myself using Iams. Glad you found something that worked though.

Back on topic: I was looking for stores other than the big box stores.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

I usually go to global pet foods since it's located close to my house (northmount location)and have found them to be pretty knowledgeable and friendly. They have pretty decent selection of stuff too. They're a little more expensive than the big box stores but it evens out at the end since there aren't any chain stores near me.

I feel my dog Acana as well since it's decently priced for higher end food and has generally good reviews. Might try blue next time since I've been hearing good things about the stuff

Global - chain but most locations are owner operated franchises.

Optimal Pet Food - independent with 2 or 3 locations in Calgary.

The Barking Lot - independent in Midnapore.

Fairplay - independent in Parkdale

Chewsy Pets - independent in Avenida shopping complex.

Especially for Pets - independent in Tuxedo Park.

PAWSitively Natural - independent in Mission.

PAWS Pet Food - independent with 2 locations in Calgary.

There's obviously more independents out there but I've focused on the smaller ones and not the ones that are just like big box places.

Good Canadian made foods - include Champion (Alberta - brands are Orijen and Acana), Horizon (Saskatchewan - brands are Legacy, Pulsar, Amicus and Complete), Petcurean (British Columbia - brands are Go, Now and Summit) and Canadian Naturals (British Columbia). There are other Canadian made brands but these IMHO produce the best quality pet foods in Canada - best bang for the buck are probably Legacy, Complete and Go.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

IIRC there's a beyonder with a pet store. Who is that?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

I'll speak for Paws Pet Food.

They have one location on 17th near 33rd and the second is at Heritage @ Elbow.

Third location is in Olds

Originally posted by A790
    IIRC there's a beyonder with a pet store. Who is that?
    Was, different line of work now.

My Ride
    383 Camaro LT1

My cousin is a vet at Copperfield Veterinary Clinic in the South. Highly recommend. He really knows his stuff.

-Grip

P.S. Don't tell him about this board. No sense of humour. :p

Acana and Orijen are VERY high in protein. Probably don't need that much. I feed our dogs Nutrience from Pet Smart.
    93 Camaro Z28 (The fast one)
    01 Trans Am WS6 (The cute one)
    Esla T6 Dog Sled (Not cute, not fast, scary as hell)

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Originally posted by Xtrema

Iams got a bad rep after their food killed pets in 2007. I'm surprised they are still around but good that it worked out for you.
    Similar thing with Blue Buffalo, I forget when.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Eagle Holistic weight management for my older Golden girl, from Pet Planet in Douglas Square.
    Great service, handy location. I used to go to Paws, but not a convenient location.
    Then Barking lot, but got really bad service from the lazy younger staff a number of times, then my local Pet Planet started carrying it.

My youngest Golden who has a lot of allergies gets a special Kangaroo-based food from the vet.
    Made a big difference in her coat, and seems to help the allergies a lot.

We have been feeding our three dogs on raw food for a few years now and will never go back... It has made a huge difference in their health! All the issues they had while feeding kibble, of which we tried many premium brands and formulations trying to sort them out, went away 100% within weeks after starting raw feeding.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

My parents dogs we had tried every expensive thing under the sun which never really agreed with him or helped his health. Eventually switched to giant Costco bag pedigree and not only does the dog love it but his health was better. Vets opinion was just feed the cheap costco food based on the results. When they got a new puppy he went straight on pedigree from day 1 with no issues.

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 02:22 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride

I feed Acana. Lower protein content than Orijen (but made by the same company), so stools are good. As for where, I would use the list that Speedog provided. Probably your best bet

I had to switch to Raw food to get a good poop. I used to use Acana but since they were bought out by bedford capital, they changed the formula and are obviously focused on profits and not quality of food any more. Sad. Raw food is so much better for my two, poops are dark brown and well formed, they barely fart (Frenchies are known for farting) and it has fixed allergy issues and skin issues. I use coconut oil and fish oils as well for healthy fur.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast