Page 73 of 105 FirstFirst ... 63 72 73 74 83 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 2092

Thread: Recession car deals

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, used.

I personally am not worried about it whatsoever and most owners don't as they're just enjoying the car. Not planning to sell the car at all and I've seen some of them in pretty bad shape (cracked/damaged front ends and fender liner from winter driving, etc.). Also I would be too scared to buy one on the used market just because it was a big ordeal even ensuring your head gasket repair was done properly. Lots of shitty dealers out there who fucked up the repairs.

Still one of the most smiles per gallon cars I've driven in my life in the winter.

If you can get one $45k all-in brand new, that's a steal. I doubt anyone will do that though.
    How does one know if the headgasket fix was done right? Did you sit in the shop and watch them?

My Ride
    Grimace

It seems fairly simple for them to screw up. That would be worrisome though.
    https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...asket-failure/

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post
    It seems fairly simple for them to screw up. That would be worrisome though.
    https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...asket-failure/
    However, the automaker will not refund owners for previously completed repairs.
    This just reminds me why I hate Ford (and other domestics)

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    How does one know if the headgasket fix was done right? Did you sit in the shop and watch them?
    Technically you don't and you'll just have to hope they did it properly and watch your coolant for the next while. But there could be red flags if they did not do the pressure test properly. The shop has to confirm if the pressure loss during a 5 hour test of 20 psi is greater than 4 psi or less. If less, only head gasket replacement. If more, replace both head and gasket. I've heard some shops hastily do the pressure test and determined that only a gasket was needed (whether rightly or wrongly), and some who "erred on the side of caution" and replaced the both head and gasket (could cause more problems later as it's way more work than just gasket replacement). So first things first for me was to ask the shop to describe what they're going to do on the test; surprisingly I had no confidence in many places and did not want to be the guinea pig.

If anyone is buying a used RS, these are some questions/checks you should be asking:

- Has the head gasket recall been complete; if so: was it just the gasket, or the head replaced as well?
    - Have you experienced coolant loss since the repair? (Coolant and oil is replaced as part of the recall so they would have only needed to top up coolant once just because of the air in the system)
    - Check for oil seepage at the block to head surface. Ford has acknowledge this is an issue post-repair and the solution was to modify the procedure to add more silicone sealant.
    - Do you have documentation of this repair? (Some shops go above and beyond on the documentation side and have taken photos too upon owner request in addition to detailed descriptions of the work they did).

And after all that, hopefully there wasn't other issues with misfires, throwing codes, having to replace the gasket or head again, oil leaks, etc. I feel more comfortable if I'm the original owner and have dealt with it all from the beginning. I wouldn't buy used unless it was from a meticulous owner who kept up with this stuff.

My Ride

I took my car to Cam Clark Ford as it appeared to be better than a lot of other dealers in Calgary doing the repairs. They had the experience of working with many of the repairs already so I felt more confident with them. I only had the head gasket done, and so far no issues. But I haven't put too many miles since the repairs. Hopefully if I can put another 5-10k before my warranty ends with no issues, I'll feel pretty confident lol.

The Focus RS forums is a great resource so I encourage anyone thinking about an RS to visit and check out the Post head gasket install review and other issues thread.

My Ride
    V8s

Technically you don't and you'll just have to hope they did it properly and watch your coolant for the next while. But there could be red flags if they did not do the pressure test properly. The shop has to confirm if the pressure loss during a 5 hour test of 20 psi is greater than 4 psi or less. If less, only head gasket replacement. If more, replace both head and gasket. I've heard some shops hastily do the pressure test and determined that only a gasket was needed (whether rightly or wrongly), and some who "erred on the side of caution" and replaced the both head and gasket (could cause more problems later as it's way more work than just gasket replacement). So first things first for me was to ask the shop to describe what they're going to do on the test; surprisingly I had no confidence in many places and did not want to be the guinea pig.

If anyone is buying a used RS, these are some questions/checks you should be asking:

- Has the head gasket recall been complete; if so: was it just the gasket, or the head replaced as well?
    - Have you experienced coolant loss since the repair? (Coolant and oil is replaced as part of the recall so they would have only needed to top up coolant once just because of the air in the system)
    - Check for oil seepage at the block to head surface. Ford has acknowledge this is an issue post-repair and the solution was to modify the procedure to add more silicone sealant.
    - Do you have documentation of this repair? (Some shops go above and beyond on the documentation side and have taken photos too upon owner request in addition to detailed descriptions of the work they did).

And after all that, hopefully there wasn't other issues with misfires, throwing codes, having to replace the gasket or head again, oil leaks, etc. I feel more comfortable if I'm the original owner and have dealt with it all from the beginning. I wouldn't buy used unless it was from a meticulous owner who kept up with this stuff.
    Good info. Another reason I'd probably go for a GLA45 on the used market.

Also, asking a guy selling a used car if his car is losing coolant, that's a good one

My Ride

Also, asking a guy selling a used car if his car is losing coolant, that's a good one
    Exactly

IMO the safer option would be to buy an RS built after July 2017.

My Ride
    ute

Good info. Another reason I'd probably go for a GLA45 on the used market.
    I'm a year out, probably. Depends on what the Rs6 and/or the new GLA look like.

My Ride
    Macan GTS

Quote Originally Posted by ganesh View Post
    Lol. I am talking to the guy. It is too good to be true kind of deal. But lets see.....
    ganesh, i've not been understanding your activity lately looking at these lease takeovers etc... you've said specifically many times you want the macan GTS. but you're holding out for the refreshed GTS which is fine but it hasn't even been announced yet. the base and S refreshed models announced this past fall still aren't in showrooms, possibly by this summer but that is anyone's guess. so that would put the GTS/turbo models at least 12-18 months from now if porsche follows their typical cadence.

why wait man? you can get a good deal on a GTS today, esp if it's a lot car. then in 2022 they're gonna release the 2nd gen macan and this whole thought process could start over.

My Ride
    Has wheels

Yes, used.

I personally am not worried about it whatsoever and most owners don't as they're just enjoying the car. Not planning to sell the car at all and I've seen some of them in pretty bad shape (cracked/damaged front ends and fender liner from winter driving, etc.). Also I would be too scared to buy one on the used market just because it was a big ordeal even ensuring your head gasket repair was done properly. Lots of shitty dealers out there who fucked up the repairs.

Still one of the most smiles per gallon cars I've driven in my life in the winter.

If you can get one $45k all-in brand new, that's a steal. I doubt anyone will do that though.
    Quote Originally Posted by swak View Post
    This 100%.
    Never had more fun in any car than I have had in my RS....
    Can either of you compare it to a Golf R? I really enjoy the R but haven't driven a RS. Don't know about having a manual for a daily though, I like most of the time having an auto.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by bruceod View Post
    Can either of you compare it to a Golf R? I really enjoy the R but haven't driven a RS. Don't know about having a manual for a daily though, I like most of the time having an auto.
    If you haven't seen it, Motortrend did a Head 2 Head with these cars. It was a pretty good watch actually.

Long story short, they picked the RS over the R since it was a little quicker, handled better.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by bruceod View Post
    From what you said, I think you'll like the Golf more. The Golf has more refined interior, available DSG and less stiff suspension for a daily. For the RS, I can see the large turning radius being a little annoying if you are in tight parking lots often.
    Requirements for myself were mainly fun factor and looks. It has this minimalist but aggressive look about it that stands out and you don't see too many of them on the road.

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by kJUMP View Post
    ganesh, i've not been understanding your activity lately looking at these lease takeovers etc... you've said specifically many times you want the macan GTS. but you're holding out for the refreshed GTS which is fine but it hasn't even been announced yet. the base and S refreshed models announced this past fall still aren't in showrooms, possibly by this summer but that is anyone's guess. so that would put the GTS/turbo models at least 12-18 months from now if porsche follows their typical cadence.

why wait man? you can get a good deal on a GTS today, esp if it's a lot car. then in 2022 they're gonna release the 2nd gen macan and this whole thought process could start over.
    I am looking for a short term (12 to 18 Months) lease take over so that I can get the Facelift GTS. As you pointed out my guess is that the GTS is going to be at least 18 Months away. I sold my car and I am driving a POS beater right now. It is getting on my nerves and that is why I am looking for a lease take over.

The GTS I ordered showed up here in September and I took a gamble and someone bought that. There is not a Single GTS in any where in the country with the spec I am looking for. When I am spending this kind of money I don't want to compromise.
    Last edited by ganesh; 01-17-2019 at 10:25 AM.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

If you haven't seen it, Motortrend did a Head 2 Head with these cars. It was a pretty good watch actually.

Long story short, they picked the RS over the R since it was a little quicker, handled better.
    Most comparisons use a manual Golf R even though the DSG is a fair bit quicker, just something to keep in mind.

I've driven both cars back to back in a competitive environment (autocross) and found that the Focus RS is a tiny bit quicker in terms of all out pace but I couldn't stand how unpredictable the car was. The way the RS vectors torque when driven at 10/10th's seems to change from corner to corner and run to run, in the same corner on one run it would push a bit and next time around it would want to swap ends, the AWD system seems to have a mind of it's own. I also couldn't stand the panic brake assist or whatever Ford calls it. The Golf R in stock form definitely behaves a bit more like a FWD (a RSB really helps these cars a lot) and definitely has more understeering tendencies but at least it's consistent and easy to drive around. If you're not going to be doing autocross or track days I think it's a no brainer that the Golf R interior is a far nicer place to spend time and resale value on the R's seems to be holding quite strong. That being said the RS is definitely a cool car.

All of the above should be taken with a grain of salt as I own a Golf R so I there is some inherent bias

My Ride
    6.2 / 690

2002 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ationFlag=true

shouldn't this be $100k+?

nvm noticed it's a body kit
    Last edited by tcon; 04-02-2019 at 07:07 AM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by tcon View Post

Its just a Gt2 body kit, not a real one.

My Ride
    6.2 / 690

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Its just a Gt2 body kit, not a real one.
    Yeah just noticed that lol gad dangit

Would make a great swap candidate. Too expensive though.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

It's also an automatic

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Whats out there for lease deals these days?

TLX is going back in mid-October. Acura discounts aren't as solid as they were 4 years ago (and inventory appears to be low). B/W payment were $170 on a base AWD, and jumping into the $250/BW range for a AWD Tech ASpec which seems high.

Drove the 2.0T Accord on the weekend and its nicer then the TLX is every regard (except FWD). Its also terrible on the lease. $235/BW.

Page 73 of 105 FirstFirst ... 63 72 73 74 83 ... LastLast