Quantcast
LF: Garage door repair recommendations - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: LF: Garage door repair recommendations

My Ride
    4x4

Sorry folks, no door tools really haven't come out in 6 months, very unlikely I'll have time in my schedule for new work. (I work on call 24hrs 5days a week - my 40ish hours off already aren't enough)

My Ride
    M

Does anyone have any recommendations for garage door repair? Our door usually closes with no problem. However, on very bright sunny days and some cold winter days, it doesn't close. When you press the button to close, it closes a little bit then opens again. And the light attached to the motor flashes a few times when this happens.

I called Tony @ Best Doors based on a few other threads, he called me back same day and is gonna pop by today for measurements and stuff. Seems nice enough.

My Ride
    M

Thanks, Mibz.

Originally posted by YokoNanami
    When you press the button to close, it closes a little bit then opens again. And the light attached to the motor flashes a few times when this happens.
    Are you referring to the LED light on the opener head unit that is flashing? If so, count the number of times it flashes and search for it online. It will help narrow down your search for the problem.

I helped a buddy diagnose his with very similar problems. The LED code on his Chamberlain was a 4, which means the sensors were misaligned (SOURCE: http://chamberlain.custhelp.com/app/...button-mean%3F)

The weird thing is that the lights on both sensors were steady and the correct colour.

Turns out that the spring-type of mount the sensors used would bounce around a bit as the door moved on a slightly misaligned track, causing the sensors to not 'see' each other properly.

This is the type of mount used:

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

We corrected the track misalignment and snugged up the sensor mount, and it's been working perfectly since.

My Ride
    M

Thanks, Raceman6135. It is actually the light attached to the motor hanging from the ceiling. The flashing of the light just indicates that the door cannot be closed properly. I did check the light on the sensor, it does not flash at all when opening or closing the door.

My Ride
    4x4

Sunlight can blank em out... Chamberlain sells a fancy cardboard origami shield kit to help if really needed (usually I just swap them side for side)

The green LED will go on/off - yellow always lit. Bright sunlight at just the right angle, green can appear lit - get closer its actually a ~60hz flicker.

They have a 20° field of vision - not a laser by any means, eyeball straight 99% of the time will fix it. But if the tracks flopping all over the place - something else needs repair.

I'm not recommending anyone right now, those I trusted seem to have bailed on the industry as well...

My Ride
    M

Thanks for the tips, AndyL. I have put a lid of a small box on top of the sensor this morning when the sun was shining (just a little bit) into the garage. It closed ok. Will keep trying for a few more days.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2