Quantcast
Time for a new lawnmower - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Time for a new lawnmower

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Default Time for a new lawnmower

I haven't been able to cut the lawns for 2 months due to an injury.
    Mrs. Penguin can't start our 20 year old Toro (it always starts for me on 3 pulls - it likes me) so she wants to get a new one.

She likes the idea of the cordless electric, particularly the Greenworks 40v twin blade. Looks good to me but knowing Lithium Ion packs don't last forever, I tend to think twice. Personally I'll do another gas powered, or battery, but not corded, friggen hate those.

Have any Beyonders used one of these battery units?

Also, any late-season deals out there? Budget is up to $600 but prefer cheaper.

My Ride
    is broken

Cant speak for battery mower but I have a Reel mower from Lee & Valley and its fricken awesome.
    No maintenance ever. Self sharpening blade. $150 for life.

Yes it requires slightly more effort to use but if you keep up with weekly/bi-weekly mows then its no different from a regular mower.
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

At this time in the season, check the sears.ca clearance and outlet sections as it's often half price. I scored a $600 6.5hp electric start RWD mower for $300 and a half price trimmer as well. That said, I'm thinking about the reel mower jacky4566 mentioned as I think it might be easier on my steep front hill working around my trees than the super heavy gas mower.

Had a battery one given to me from relatives. It's quiet but that's where the benefits end.
    It's heavy with the massive battery and if it's in a unheated garage over winter... battery life will die off quickly.
    I'd do gas powered. Newer ones are easier to start. Although I still love my family relic that's 30 yrs old and still works fine. Tougher to start but only if you don't know what you're doing. Keep the gas fresh and it's fine.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

I had a craftsman gas powered unit and recently replaced it with a self propelled battery powered unit that was given to me. Despite the value of the battery powered one being 3x what I paid for my gas job, I still prefer the gas powered one. I have a smaller yard so the self propel feature is a huge pain in the ass as it just makes it harder for me to go back and forth around tight spots. Its also heavier than my gas unit and feels much more cheaply made. The Mrs. would probably have an easier time getting the battery powered one started but IMHO its an inferior unit.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

My lawnboy starts first pull even after winter, lol. Yknow what sucks? Hit something metal in the grass, crank is bent =( . Not worth replacing. but it was awesome.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Thanks for the replies.
    These heavy battery units must be lead-acid batteries?
    The li-ion ones are very light.

My Ride
    Horse

Had a battery fail recently on a customer and replacement was $250 +, they had paid that for the mower so another mower in the scrap yard. Lead Acid battery packs are usually cheaper but still $100+

My suggestion is get a name brand unit with electric start, Sears no longer services mowers, they do some warranty repairs however sometimes booking/scheduling can be insane. Other big box stores do sell reliable name brands but at the same time do not service them so PLEASE even if you see a smoking deal at a box store call a dealer and see if they can match it or not.

A good gas mower cuts far superior to an electric as well (mulch/bagging is also better)

So TLDR: buy name brand mower with electric start from a dealer (not a box store) if they can match the price you need to pay or a good manual reel mower (cut amazing)

Schurchill: husqvarna 7021p, honda engine, large rear wheels, no self propel, around $399.99 never have to buy another mower
    Originally posted by rage2
    Ya, I built some crazy ass shit with Lego as a kid. I had a thing for AMC Eagle AWD's as a kid for some bizarre reason, so I spent a lot of time going to the library and reading up on how AWD works in that car. I even hitchhiked to the library once cuz my parents were too lazy to drive me haha. Ya, I'm a nerd.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Originally posted by MrSector9

My suggestion is get a name brand unit with electric start, Sears no longer services mowers, they do some warranty repairs however sometimes booking/scheduling can be insane. Other big box stores do sell reliable name brands but at the same time do not service them so PLEASE even if you see a smoking deal at a box store call a dealer and see if they can match it or not.

A good gas mower cuts far superior to an electric as well (mulch/bagging is also better)

Thanks. Electric start may be a good compromise, as I really want to stay with the power of gas. Looking at the state of my lawn right now, I'd bet a battery mower would not handle it well.

Any suggestions on dealers? Arn's is on the way home from work, may stop in there.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

i have never used anything but an electric. Have a nice black and Decker one. Pretty convenient to just plug it in in the garage and never have to worry about having gas on hand or anything.

Corded electric is more powerful if that's a compromise you can handle.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Originally posted by The_Penguin
    Thanks for the replies.
    These heavy battery units must be lead-acid batteries?
    The li-ion ones are very light.
    My neighbour has the Gardena 4043 lawnmower and if she lets the lawn grow too long it takes her 3 full charges (10-12 hrs per charge) to cut around 4000 sq ft.

She is buying a gas mower at the end of the season.

http://www.amazon.ca/GARDENA-Electri.../dp/B001P4LZIG
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Honda

Once my yard is finished, this will be the one i will be getting. The youtube reviews are fantastic. Li-ion, fast charge, 45 min cut time.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/20-i...n-mower/865553

My Ride
    Horse

My suggestion for a dealer would be me but that being said even if you go somewhere else like arms let me know the price they give you and I can let you know if it is a good deal or what else to ask for.
    Ya, I built some crazy ass shit with Lego as a kid. I had a thing for AMC Eagle AWD's as a kid for some bizarre reason, so I spent a lot of time going to the library and reading up on how AWD works in that car. I even hitchhiked to the library once cuz my parents were too lazy to drive me haha. Ya, I'm a nerd.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

I have a Kobalt 19" cordless electric. I love this thing. Came with two batteries- one lasts about an hour, the other for half an hour. I can do my entire front/back and trim on a single battery.

The batteries plug into any other Kobalt cordless electric product, from mowers to trimmers.

I'm very happy with it. Starts in 3 seconds, is quiet, and does a great job.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

I have a Craftsman RWD 22" gas mower, got it on sale for $300 (~half price) in December or something. No complaints so far, cuts very well and the B&S engine starts on the first pull every time. I considered an electric unit, but I didn't want to have it taking up space in the garage over winter and the longevity (and associated replacement cost) of batteries turned me off.

With that said, we were given a Ryobi 4-stroke trimmer and while it's good and powerful, it's noisy as all hell and if I were buying a trimmer it'd be a cordless electric, no question.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/arie...n-mower/916274

They sell these in the store for $250.

It's nothing fancy by any means but it has a wicked motor with enough torque to get the job done. No complaints at all.

My Ride
    335i

The electric mowers don't seem to hold a charge for long enough and eventually need a battery replacement, which is expensive. I picked up a craftsman gas mower with key start last year end of season for $300 and it's been fantastic. It's awesome not having to pull start it each time.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Thanks for all the replies.
    Didn't another lawnmower thread (I always find them after I start a new one) mention that Briggs and Stratton engines are no longer the decent quality they once were?

My Ride
    Horse

Briggs were never a quality engine but the new ones are better for sure. They still run forever but they are usually noisier and have more vibration compared to a Honda or a Kawasaki. Look after it and they will still last 20+ years.

Sent you a pm penguin regarding mower pricing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast