Quantcast
Ram 1500 Ecodiesel - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Ram 1500 Ecodiesel

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

Default Ram 1500 Ecodiesel

So, now that it's been out for ~1.5 years, who has purchased a Ram 1500 with the 3.0 Ecodiesel and what do you think?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I would like to hear some real world experience as well. I'm a Ford Fanboy, but this sounds like a fantastic powertrain for a lot of folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Trucks

A good friend has one, not myself. He lost a good chuck of towing capacity going from the 5.7 gasser to the Ecodiesel but he says it gets fantastic fuel mileage for general commuting, as one would expect. He has a farm and has larger diesels for actual work. He has had repeated problems with the emissions equipment on the truck, not sure if that has been straightened out yet.

My Ride
    Ferrari

I also have a good friend with one and the only problems he has had is repeated trips to the dealer for the emissions equipment. I haven't really heard anything else about it other than good mileage claims.
    Life is too short to drive boring cars.

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

I've got the same engine in the Jeep, and I've been problem free so far in terms of emissions system. Never had a problem with any of the DEF brands, and its been great on fuel, great for towing, and has tons of power in the Cherokee. No regrets buying it so far, but I only have 21000km on it so far. I average 10.2L/100km for my mostly city driving average.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Originally posted by TurboMedic
    I average 10.2L/100km for my mostly city driving average.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    '16 Civic

I worked at an FCA dealership awhile back and all the techs would comment on how these would come in only for electrical and emmisions problems. The fuel systems seem reliable.

As a lot guy, I had to take all the Ecodiesel demos out on the highway once a week to burn out the filter so it can be a chore sometimes. Don't know if that is a regular thing with diesels...?

Good torque, slow compared to the Hemi though. Runs out of steam past 3500rpm.
    2016 Honda Civic Touring

Originally posted by Jonathanl10
    I worked at an FCA dealership awhile back and all the techs would comment on how these would come in only for electrical and emmisions problems. The fuel systems seem reliable.

As a lot guy, I had to take all the Ecodiesel demos out on the highway once a week to burn out the filter so it can be a chore sometimes. Don't know if that is a regular thing with diesels...?

Good torque, slow compared to the Hemi though. Runs out of steam past 3500rpm.
    Though I think it is a great multi-platform engine, I do think that a 4 - 5L diesel would have been a better application for a half ton, though then you are encroaching on the HD territory

Originally posted by TurboMedic
    I've got the same engine in the Jeep, and I've been problem free so far in terms of emissions system. Never had a problem with any of the DEF brands, and its been great on fuel, great for towing, and has tons of power in the Cherokee. No regrets buying it so far, but I only have 21000km on it so far. I average 10.2L/100km for my mostly city driving average.
    Have you towed its rated load yet? If you have, how's the fuel economy?

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

Slow compared to the hemi, ridiculously weak compared to the cummins, what the hell's the point? To fit in with the big man in a truck scene and get good commuting economy?

Gas is cheap, get a hemi.
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by adamc
    Slow compared to the hemi, ridiculously weak compared to the cummins, what the hell's the point? To fit in with the big man in a truck scene and get good commuting economy?

I'm pretty sure that's exactly the point haha

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Gas is cheap, get a hemi.
    It tows 9200lbs which covers about 85%+ of the truck buying public.

And it doesn't just get "good" commuting economy, it gets OUTSTANDING commuting economy. I have a good friend with one and its a great all around rig. Unless you're one of the people that believe you can get 21usmpg on the highway in a hemi

And what does that even mean, "slow" compared to the hemi? In a straight line? I guess, I didn't realize it mattered how fast a truck was when commuting But it makes more torque at a lower rpm compared to the hemi for doing, ya know, truck stuff with it. Would sell my dmax in a heartbeat for one if I knew I wasn't going to be towing 10-15k lbs.

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

I've got a Ram Hemi and I get 22+ mpg highway all the time?

My Ride
    '16 Civic

I've got a Ram Hemi and I get 22+ mpg highway all the time?
    My record was a dealer trade to Red Deer. Empty Quad Cab. 7.8l/100kms or just over 30MPG
    2016 Honda Civic Touring

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

Originally posted by Jonathanl10
    My record was a dealer trade to Red Deer. Empty Quad Cab. 7.8l/100kms or just over 30MPG
    I thought I was doing well from Calgary to Kelowna in my 5.7 Crew Sport at 9.2/100.

I work for Chrysler and most of the people Ive talked to with the 3.0's are really happy with them. For the average truck user, it can handle everyday duties with great fuel economy. There is a bunch of new product coming for the emissions systems to keep the common issues down as well. Ive driven it and I like it. my 5.7 pulls harder under WOT but I drive like a grandma so that really doesn't matter to me.
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I would love to have a comparison event with the EcoDiesel, the Hemi, the 2.7L EcoBoost and the 3.5L EcoBoost, and why not the 5.0L Ford as well.
    Be awesome to drive them all back-to back, both empty and loaded with say a small TT, around 5000lbs.

What a great time to be a truck person, so many stellar powertrain options.

Ram may have an edge these days just due to the extra gears, Ford is supposed to have a 10-speed out in 2017. Be interesting to see how things look once that arrives. I'm a huge fan of more gears for towing.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

For me, the Ram has had the best interior by a country mile for the last number of years. Really is no comparison to even Ford's 2015 top of the line config.

Will continue to be a Ram customer for that reason. Truck has never let me down, either.

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 02:12 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Interior is so subjective. Because I'm a fanboy, I like the Fords best. Very hard to be objective.

My Ride
    bus

For me, the Ram has had the best interior by a country mile for the last number of years. Really is no comparison to even Ford's 2015 top of the line config.

Will continue to be a Ram customer for that reason. Truck has never let me down, either.
    This is one of the reasons I bought my ram sport.
    Just did a round trip from calgary to osoyoos, myself and two other adults with about 500 pounds of gear in the back, i averaged about 11.7km/100 hand calculated. Truck calculated 10.5 so it's off a bit from real world numbers.

This was a 5.7L hemi with the 8 speed and 3.92 gears

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast