Quantcast
Let's talk WINTER tires 2015/16 - Page 13 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk WINTER tires 2015/16

My Ride
    E90, FD, STI

Originally posted by max_boost
    Can anyone comment on studs vs no studs on the same tire?

I'm more curious on the results of that. Hankook iPike RS W419 studded vs non studded for example lol Maybe that extra $25 per tire is totally worth it. For the record I have never driven on studs before but my best experiences have been the Blizzak studless MZ02/WS50 tires.

i found the Hankook W419 without studs to be decent but I suspect majority of the reviews out there that give it 4.3-4.6/5 is because it's studded.
    Studs definitely take a tire to the next level on ice, but you are going to sacrifice some dry/clear road grip. Ever seen an idiot spinning his studded tires going up a bare cement ramp in spring at a mall? Ya….. shitty grip on smooth surfaces that they can’t dig into lol. That means that you will also be stopping worse on bare pavement… As I always have said tires are a trade off between factors. You want the best at one thing? You’re going to have to sacrifice something else heavily. There is no one tire that does everything well (but if there was it would be a bridgestone imo).

Hankook winters I’m not really a fan of (especially because their icebears were the only ‘winter’ tire to be rated as ‘not suitable for winter’), but if you want a good studded tire that is cheap, Gislaved are pretty awesome, especially for the price. I have a set on the wife’s 5 series and she has yet to complain about it being the rwd death sled she claimed it would be . They actually wear pretty good too, as I did a lot of drifto dorito stuff in my winter beater RX8 with a set, and then drove deep into spring on them, and they were maybe down 1.5/32nds on the worst tire, which is nothing.

Personally I think studded are a bit overkill for Calgary, and a set of WS80s are more than good enough. I think a really good non studded tire is probably best for most people.

Also, if a tire has an option to be studded, IMO its often because it needs that option to be a good winter tire on ice (more so with cheap 'studdable tires'). The hankooks for example, the i-pikes were shitty on ice, being more like an old school snow tire then anything. They became decent only when studs were added. Winterforce tires were the same deal. shitty on ice until studded
    Last edited by Zhao Kan; 11-03-2015 at 05:56 PM.

Originally posted by killramos

No kidding. My 2014 BMW doesnt have TPMS lol.
    Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    neither does my 2014 Audi.... Thank god.
    It should have it but it's indirect vs direct.

AFAIK everything built after 2007 in North America will have some form of TPMS system due to the regulations passed in the USA.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 01:43 PM.

Looking at getting Federal Himalayas 205/55R16 installed for $605.

Is it worth getting those or should I spend more getting xice3 or blizzaks?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    No sensors for sure, and it doesn't freak out when I drop the PSI 10 below the sill rating on icey weeks.
    That's because you drop all of the tyres 10psi. You'll see it if you only drop one.

My Ride
    FJC, S30

Originally posted by mazdavirgin

It should have it but it's indirect vs direct.

AFAIK everything built after 2007 in North America will have some form of TPMS system due to the regulations passed in the USA.
    My wife's 2014 rav4 doesn't. It's available on higher trim options but not standard.
    Submaker.Illest.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Yeah I called Hyundai Canada today and asked about it. None of their vehicles have TPMS sensors because it's not mandatory in Canada like it is in the US.

GF is trying to do this the cheapest way because I'm basically forcing her to get winter tires (especially with no chinooks up here in Deadmonton).

Best option seems to be dropping down to a 14" wheel and getting the Michelin X-Ice Xi3's on steel rims. Costco seems to have the best price but if Kal Tire can beat it by 5%, why not

Personally I'd rather her go with the cheapest set of alloys and some Hakk 8s but it's not my money

Interestingly, the Nokian Hakk 7s and 8s are the same price! Didn't know about the Hakk R2s which are studless but cheaper and they're offering the same $70 rebate that many other brands have available at the moment.
    Last edited by msommers; 11-03-2015 at 06:30 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by Zhao Kan

Studs definitely take a tire to the next level on ice, but you are going to sacrifice some dry/clear road grip. Ever seen an idiot spinning his studded tires going up a bare cement ramp in spring at a mall? Ya….. shitty grip on smooth surfaces that they can’t dig into lol. That means that you will also be stopping worse on bare pavement… As I always have said tires are a trade off between factors. You want the best at one thing? You’re going to have to sacrifice something else heavily. There is no one tire that does everything well (but if there was it would be a bridgestone imo).

Hankook winters I’m not really a fan of (especially because their icebears were the only ‘winter’ tire to be rated as ‘not suitable for winter’), but if you want a good studded tire that is cheap, Gislaved are pretty awesome, especially for the price. I have a set on the wife’s 5 series and she has yet to complain about it being the rwd death sled she claimed it would be . They actually wear pretty good too, as I did a lot of drifto dorito stuff in my winter beater RX8 with a set, and then drove deep into spring on them, and they were maybe down 1.5/32nds on the worst tire, which is nothing.

Personally I think studded are a bit overkill for Calgary, and a set of WS80s are more than good enough. I think a really good non studded tire is probably best for most people.

Also, if a tire has an option to be studded, IMO its often because it needs that option to be a good winter tire on ice (more so with cheap 'studdable tires'). The hankooks for example, the i-pikes were shitty on ice, being more like an old school snow tire then anything. They became decent only when studs were added. Winterforce tires were the same deal. shitty on ice until studded
    Ahhh thanks for this post. Good stuff. After all these years I went back to Blizzaks hehe
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Hankook winters I’m not really a fan of (especially because their icebears were the only ‘winter’ tire to be rated as ‘not suitable for winter’)
    I loved the IceBears. Ask anyone that's ridden with me in my 911 Turbo in deep snow and what a monster it was with the IceBears. They're also the best winter tire I've used for dry roads.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Put the Blizzak DM-V1's on the truck today. Let it snow!

My Ride
    NC1

Studs definitely take a tire to the next level on ice, but you are going to sacrifice some dry/clear road grip. Ever seen an idiot spinning his studded tires going up a bare cement ramp in spring at a mall? Ya….. shitty grip on smooth surfaces that they can’t dig into lol. That means that you will also be stopping worse on bare pavement…
    Can anyone else comment on this? ( I believe you Zhao Kan) I just don't recall anyone else saying something similar all these years on Beyond. All I read is how great it's on ice and noisy on the dry roads but never anything about worse stopping or lack of grip on dry roads.
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

All I read is how great it's on ice and noisy on the dry roads but never anything about worse stopping or lack of grip on dry roads.
    I think the difference is dry asphalt VS wet (possibly epoxied) poured concrete. Our hangar tug has studs, and always slips a bit on the floor when its wet.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Can anyone else comment on this? ( I believe you Zhao Kan) I just don't recall anyone else saying something similar all these years on Beyond. All I read is how great it's on ice and noisy on the dry roads but never anything about worse stopping or lack of grip on dry roads.
    Noticed a similar thing. Big difference on ice, no difference in snow, but slightly worse stopping distance on dry roads. Not a huge difference, but it was noticeable

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I loved the IceBears. Ask anyone that's ridden with me in my 911 Turbo in deep snow and what a monster it was with the IceBears. They're also the best winter tire I've used for dry roads.
    +1 loved the Ice Bears we ran on Subarus.

My Ride
    FJC, S30

I love my hakka 7 studded. Difference is in the dry but it's acceptable. I don't "spin" my tires or have trouble gripping anything when it is dry. It is a bit louder.

On ice or super cold conditions the hakka own.
    Submaker.Illest.

My Ride
    NC1

Well I figured out the strategy. Have a couple winter vehicles, one for the chinook and rock performance winters and one for the freezing cold days and rock studdable or studless Blizzaks. lol
    I am user #49

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

This is the solution. A performance winter tire with retractable studs.

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    NC1

OMG do want!
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I noticed yesterday (occasional rain here) that my new x ice were spinning a fair bit on damp clean roads when starting. Had to lighten up the foot a touch.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by msommers
    Yeah I called Hyundai Canada today and asked about it. None of their vehicles have TPMS sensors because it's not mandatory in Canada like it is in the US.

So how was Kal Tire going to install TPMS on a car that doesn't have that feature to begin with?

Have had studs on the van for 4 years now. Never spun the tires on dry or wet roads once. Same thing with my parents' 2013 Golf. It has General Altimax studded tires. I had those same tires non studded on other cars and honestly I've never noticed any difference in dry stopping or starting. The noise is the worst part about them, takes some getting used to at first.
    Last edited by Aleks; 11-04-2015 at 08:36 AM.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 LastLast