Quantcast
Let's talk WINTER tires 2015/16 - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk WINTER tires 2015/16

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 08:15 PM.

Hankook iPikes are on order for Oct 30th.

My Ride
    Lariat

Originally posted by dj_rice
    How about them Federal Himalayas. Had numerous customers rave about how well they perform and surprised as these are dirt cheap.
    Had them on my R32 and they were awesome, great price and even better tire
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    Model S

Need actual data. Everyone has winter tire opinions, nobody has objective data.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

DO NOT put these on anything even remotely performance oriented. I had these on my 135i and it was barely drivable because the tread blocks were so soft it would trigger traction control immediately anytime you even tickled the throttle.
    Good point! LOL Most of the customers that raved about them were in Versa, Sentras, Civics. So anything under 200HP :P but yes they are very soft almost soft as the X-Ice/Blizzaks.

For myself, I'm cheap as F, so I bought some GT Radial Winter IcePro's and got them studded for my 4x4 Pathfinder. Works good enough.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by googe
    Um, both Tire Rack and Consumer reports have pretty good testing methodologies. Tire Rack's is the best, but they obviously only test tires they sell.

General Arctic Altimax's when studded are basically the best on ice and close to the best on snow. There isn't much of an argument on that subject, but then you are running studded tires which some people don't like

They have plenty of non-studded tire tests that are very helpful.

Edit-
    As I always say, rather than running $300 Yokohama special rally-tires of doom on the race car, the A034, I run studded altimaxes and they have worked out swell.

You can probably guess what I run on everything from my trucks (studded arctic LT's) to my cars.

My Ride
    something green

Ordering 6 scorpion atrs from Costco, they go on sale Sept 14, 21 bucks a tire off. My go to winter tire, the last set went 100k kms with average 2000 lb payload and some trailer towing.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

Can we please put some reviews for current cheap tires to discourage people from buying Motormaster/Goodyear/Tiger Paws/Champero/dunlop winters. Goodyear has one good winter tire, but the rest are absolute junk.

Originally posted by googe
    Objective data is truly difficult... you can test every tire on the same car in the same conditions with the same driver and come up with a set of results, but next time do the exact same testing with the same tires, but put them on a car that weighs a lot more or a lot less, has a lot more or a lot less horsepower, with a driver that drives differently, and the temperatures are colder or warmer, etc, etc, etc, and I will gurantee you 100% that the results will be dramtaically different...

That is why it is important to not pigeon hole any product as good or bad in every situation. What is the right tire for one person, place, situation, vehicle will vary constantly from one person to the next. You need to assess you specific set of needs and let someone who gives a crap and actually knows what they are talking about help you evaluate your options honestly and objectively...

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
    Can we please put some reviews for current cheap tires to discourage people from buying Motormaster/Goodyear/Tiger Paws/Champero/dunlop winters. Goodyear has one good winter tire, but the rest are absolute junk.
    The Goodyear ice wrt's on my truck work great. At least as good as the blizzaks I replaced with them.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Bang Bus

I scored on kijiji a brand new set of Hankook ipike rw11 studdable 265/70/16 for $350 last week very happy to buy winter tires before the busy season. Anyone have any feedback with the hankook?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by Maxt
    Ordering 6 scorpion atrs from Costco, they go on sale Sept 14, 21 bucks a tire off. My go to winter tire, the last set went 100k kms with average 2000 lb payload and some trailer towing.
    These?

http://www.pirelli.com/tire/ca/en/su...rpion_atr.html

I hope not. Most terrible tire in winter ever.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by lee88
    I scored on kijiji a brand new set of Hankook ipike rw11 studdable 265/70/16 for $350 last week very happy to buy winter tires before the busy season. Anyone have any feedback with the hankook?
    Shit those are exactly what I need. Cost on them is closer to $900 studded

My Ride
    AP1

I'm thinking about putting Toyo Observe Garit KX winter tires on my AP1 S2000 since they come in the stagger size that I need. Are these good winter tires?

Are there any other winter tires that come in the AP1 S2000 sizes that others would recommend?

Tuner1 is offline Tunerworks Guru (E36S50B32)
    My Ride
    ///MPower, 4x4, Bianchi & Trek

Originally posted by EF9 Sedan
    I'm thinking about putting Toyo Observe Garit KX winter tires on my AP1 S2000 since they come in the stagger size that I need. Are these good winter tires?

Are there any other winter tires that come in the AP1 S2000 sizes that others would recommend?
    Yes they are good winter tires and should work well on an S2000. The biggest knock against them is the design/technology is a bit dated and they are fairly expensive but they come in a few fairly unusual sizes - thanks Toyo!

My Ride
    something green

Originally posted by benyl

These?

http://www.pirelli.com/tire/ca/en/su...rpion_atr.html

I hope not. Most terrible tire in winter ever.
    Yes those are them, and this will be my third set of these on this truck, and I had them on my old service trucks as well.. I've had 5 different brands on the current truck, including Blizzaks, the Atr's on my truck perform almost the same in winter, but last 5 times longer. I was sold when I towed a car hauler through BC to Vancouver in the middle of winter on ATR's and didn't have to chain up in snow deeper than my ground clearance. It may be that this tire just needs weight to work well, I won't put anything else on this truck...
    I have also had General ameritracs,BFg commercials and bridgestone duravis 700's, all those tires were pretty scary in snow, I ended up using them as summer treads. The siping is very shallow on those tires.
    Last edited by Maxt; 09-12-2015 at 07:13 PM.
    Too loud for Aspen

Anybody ever try the Kumho Izen KW27?

Just got a sick deal on 235/35/19". I will have them, on a 335i and drive less than 5,000km in the winter months

I've run the BSB DM-V1 for my RX, great tire. Had the BSB LM-60 on my cayman and they seemed pretty good in the snow, and prety good on dry as well. Worst tire has been the BSB LM-25 I had on my IS a while back.

The boy has a set of the Hankook i*pike RC01 studded on his civic, don't know if they're any good since I haven't personally driven on them, bt they seem decent

Going to go with a set of BSB WS-80 for his newer car this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

LM-25 get my vote for worst winter tires I've ever tried.

My Ride
    '16 Civic

Does anyone know where I can buy Federal Himalayas for cheap and without getting robbed on shipping? Big box stores like Costco, CT and even Tirerack don't carry it. Or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough?
    2016 Honda Civic Touring

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast