Quantcast
Let's talk WINTER tires 2015/16 - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk WINTER tires 2015/16

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Just ordered BF Goodrich AT K02 for the truck. Can't wait to get them on for the looks and gravel performance alone. The fact they can manage in the snow is a great extra.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by Jonathanl10
    Does anyone know where I can buy Federal Himalayas for cheap and without getting robbed on shipping? Big box stores like Costco, CT and even Tirerack don't carry it. Or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough?
    I got mine a few years ago from Gary at UrbanX at a good price.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Originally posted by SkiBum5.0
    Just ordered BF Goodrich AT K02 for the truck. Can't wait to get them on for the looks and gravel performance alone. The fact they can manage in the snow is a great extra.
    Have you ever used those tires before? I haven't used the KO2, just the KO, but gravel and snow is definitely not where they shine in my experience. I think they're good on dry dirt and that's about it.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

The KO2 is one of the few off-road tires that is 3 peak certified.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by Jonathanl10
    Does anyone know where I can buy Federal Himalayas for cheap and without getting robbed on shipping? Big box stores like Costco, CT and even Tirerack don't carry it. Or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough?

Anyone who has Trican Tire Distributor as their supplier can get you Federal's. Which means most of the car dealerships and tire stores like UrbanX
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-14-2019 at 02:18 PM.

The 300c I bought this spring came with studded Hakka's.. will get to see what the hype is all about this winter.

I'm not sure studded winters are absolutely necessary ... would be nice if they had an option with the Hakka's for a non-studded winter.

I got around more than just fine last winter with Blizzak's on my QX60 - didn't need to adjust much for winter conditions which shows how good the tires are.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by SKR

Have you ever used those tires before? I haven't used the KO2, just the KO, but gravel and snow is definitely not where they shine in my experience. I think they're good on dry dirt and that's about it.
    I liked the KO. Jack of all trades but master of none. Haven't tried the KO2 either

My Ride
    XT6

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Nokian

/thread

I am running a set of studded Hakka's on my Q5, and they are hands down the best set of winter tires I've ever run by at least a factor of 2.

Runner up would be Michelin X-ice

Everything else is a a sub-par choice IMO

Toyo takes my vote for worst winter tires for passenger cars. They make some tires that work ok for larger trucks, but as a dedicated winter tire I'd never run Toyo's again.
    How long do the Nokian studded tires last? If I can get three seasons out of I intend to buy.

Only answer I can seem to get out of people is it depends on your driving habits.

They're going on an MDX - 6 months of the year, 6,000km/ year and no hard driving. Mostly highway..

you just can't beat a set of Winter tires... but you can get away with snowflake rated A/T's on LT tires with enough weight (i.e. halfton or heavier)

I have to say that my duratracs are good, but aren't the best A/T's I've used... Surprisingly the LT/X for on-road snow conditions I think are the best... but I wouldn't say for deep stuff.

For the deep stuff, I'd say a mix ranging from:

toyo a/t2
    hankook dynapro at/m
    wild country radial xtx
    the new KO2
    GY Duratrac
    Nokian rotiva a/t

but... these from cooper look proming:

http://ca.coopertire.com/Tires/Light...sup-4-sup.aspx vs... LT/X

Actual proper light truck winter tires with A/T type tread:

http://ca.coopertire.com/Tires/Light...verer-M-S.aspx

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-14-2019 at 02:18 PM.

My Ride
    FJC, S30

Originally posted by Chandler_Racing

How long do the Nokian studded tires last? If I can get three seasons out of I intend to buy.

Only answer I can seem to get out of people is it depends on your driving habits.

They're going on an MDX - 6 months of the year, 6,000km/ year and no hard driving. Mostly highway..
    4th winter coming up on the hakka 7 studs. The tire thread indicator is between 6 and 4. Studs are still there. Not as sharp as new but I didn't expect them to last through 3 years. Can't wait to buy hakka 8 studs once I ditch these after this winter.
    Submaker.Illest.

I had the KO's for maybe 1 week of winter driving, scared the bananas out of me, even in a 4wd 4runner. bought general altimax artics. very good tires for winter and reasonable price.

the generals were so good, bought another set for the wife's 4wd rav4. again super happy.

Just washed my winters' off all the mud for the 4runner last night and tadda, find a nail on the sidewall of one of the tires. because it's 4wd, have to get 4 new tires. Probably going for the Altimax Artics again.

Reading on Redflagdeals, try quattrotires.com. They are based in Quebec and do shipping. Easily cheaper than any retailers around here by 25% (1 tire).

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

I bought Hankook Ipike RW11 studded tires online for the Tundra. Our minivan has been on General Altimax Arctic studded tires for 3 winters now. Wanted those but had trouble finding the proper size.

My Ride
    2015 GMC 2500HD Dirtymax

I've been quite impressed with the Duratrac on the Titan last winter. Was sure nice not to have to worry about getting pulled over in BC with the sled trailer on. Had a few deep snow days having to bomb through some deep stuff and they didn't let me down. They do wear quite a bit through the summer though with the soft compound.

Really looking forward to trying out the Toyo Open Country C/T. Doesn't look quite as aggressive, but hoping this will mean a bit better wear life while still being decent in the winter. A new option against the KO2 to consider as well.

http://www.toyotires.ca/tire/pattern/open-country-ct

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I drove on bald BFG Mud Terrains last winter for a while, that was downright scary.

My Ride
    Subaru WRX

I ran two winters with studded Federal Himalayas from UrbanX - best bang for buck. Couple that w/ AWD and it was actually enjoyable to drive in the winter. Tons of tread life when I sold them too.

This year I'll be trying out Hakka8 + studs.

My Ride
    Nissans and a Subaru

Anyone run the Cooper weathermaster WSC? I'm thinking about those this winter, or am i better off just running himalayas?

Hi there,
    question, Mustang GT 2014 winter tires, X-ice 3 or Hakka R2 ?

Thank's for your info!!

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Anyone heard of the Westlake sw608? They get really good reviews and are less than $500 for a set of 4
    http://www.tirestest.com/wintercar_t...608/index.html

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast