Quantcast
2017 S4 Revealed at Frankfurt - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 S4 Revealed at Frankfurt

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Default 2017 S4 Revealed at Frankfurt

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...furt-auto-show

Joining the new A4 sedan in showrooms next year will be the sporty S4 variant, which made its debut today at the 2015 Frankfurt Auto Show in both sedan and Avant wagon bodystyles. We’ll only be getting the sedan, which Audi says will run from 0-62 mph in 4.7 seconds and easily reach its governed top speed of 155 mph.

The S4 still features a 3.0-liter V-6, however, the previous model’s supercharger has been replaced by a turbocharger. Sadly, there isn’t any electrical assistance for the turbo, as had been rumored. Nevertheless, the newly developed engine spits out a stout 354 horsepower and 369 pound-feet of torque, with the latter delivered from 1,300 all the way up to 4,500 rpm.

The engine is paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission, and drive is to all four wheels via a permanent all-wheel-drive system. During normal driving conditions, 60 percent of the drive torque is sent to the rear wheels to create a rear-biased feel for the S4. However, when needed, up to 70 percent of the torque can be sent to the front wheels and as much as 85 percent can be sent to the rear. Audi’s Sport Differential is available; this allows the torque to also be distributed between the rear wheels as well.

Also aiding handling is the sports-tuned suspension. The new setup is 0.9 of an inch lower than on the A4, and to further improve its performance there is an available set of active dampers. The performance of the suspension, along with various other dynamic settings, can be controlled from the cabin with the Audi Drive Select system, which is fitted as standard. The standard wheels and tires are 18-inch alloys with 245/40-size rubber.

Being based on the latest MLB Evo platform, the S4, like the new A4 and Q7, benefits from lightweight construction and an extensive package of the latest technologies. The intelligent use of high-strength composite materials in the body leads to exceptional rigidity. Yet the car is also light, weighing in at less than 3,600 lbs—not bad for a luxury sedan with all-wheel drive.

Inside the cabin are supportive bucket seats for the driver and front passenger. The trim is a combination of pearl Nappa leather and Alcantara in the colors Ebony, Rotor Gray and Magma Red. The standard inlays are made of matte brushed aluminum. Details such as the illuminated door sill trims with S4 logos, the embossing in the seats, and the special S4 start screen further set the S4 apart from the regular A4.

A conventional gauge cluster is standard but Audi is offering its 12.3-inch Virtual Cockpit digital cluster as an option. Other tech options include the MMI Navigation Plus infotainment system, Audi Connect high-speed Internet and a Bang & Olufsen premium audio system with 3D sound.

On top of this, there is also a wide range of driver assistance systems. In addition to the conventional lane departure and blind spot warning systems, there is also adaptive cruise control with a traffic crawl function (works up to 40 mph), a traffic sign recognition system, and an efficiency system that helps you to drive more efficiently, for example with optimal gear change prompts.

For more from the Frankfurt Auto Show, head to our dedicated hub.
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

click for larger version

Looks pretty damn good. The exterior isn't quite up to my tastes but i think it will grow on me. Love the interior.

3600 lb, 354 HP Turbo V6, 369 lb-ft.

Cant wait to hear some first impressions.

click for larger version

Dat illumination
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Not a fan of the interior, but knew that when the new A4 was released. Nothing revolutionary, but the gap has widened because MB stepped it up in this class.

Really liked the S/C V6, good power across powerband, the turbo is a step down IMO. Same goes for transmission, the DCT was the best thing about the S4, unless the automatic is a stunner, it'll take away some of the sportiness that the S4 had and make it more bland.

I'll reserve final judgement when I drive one.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

They gonna slap a 3.0S or V6S badge on the side now?

But yeah, not a fan of the interior. MB elevated the game. Audi and BMW interiors look similar or worse to some non-luxury interiors now. I'm sure the quality is there, but is that enough anymore?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by rage2
    Not a fan of the interior, but knew that when the new A4 was released. Nothing revolutionary, but the gap has widened because MB stepped it up in this class.

Really liked the S/C V6, good power across powerband, the turbo is a step down IMO. Same goes for transmission, the DCT was the best thing about the S4, unless the automatic is a stunner, it'll take away some of the sportiness that the S4 had and make it more bland.

Didn't even read about the DCT. That sucks. At least the sport diff is still available

The car seems a lot more appealing to me in S4 trim than A4 but then again it should.

I still think the edges on the exterior are too sharp. There needs to be some happy medium between organic and pure straight lines.

I assume the 8 speed with be a ZF unit like every other manufacturer on the plant so that is a bit of a saving grace. In general i imagine a big focus was fuel economy for this.

RS4 could still be very good?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    550i, X5

Love it. So glad they went back to turbo!
    Of course, a perfectly good explanation is boring, so the answer is, it's fucking voodoo.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Looks boring. Any word on an RS4?

A MB-style eye sore dash LCD?

Took away DSG? Hopefully you can still get a manual.

WTF Audi?

Looks pretty good otherwise though. At least the motor is looking good, and I bet it's very under-rated as per usual. A simple chip will probably get you 420HP/450TQ. If you're going to chip it, the Auto tranny might handle the power better than a DCT anyway. Hopefully the new auto at least has rev-matched downshifts.

As usual I think everything will look a better in person - the press photos are a bit boring.

My Ride
    Grimace

I am OK with the turbo, but a big WTF on the transmission. DCT is a huge selling feature, now it has an 8spd like the 340i when audi makes excellent dual clutch trannies. I am still a few years out from one of these level vehicles and was hoping for the S4 but this really makes me prefer the MB even more even though I am giant vw/audi fanboi #1.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    A MB-style eye sore dash LCD?

I have done a little bit of research into this, and the reasoning is due to NTSHA and that with the mandatory back up cams, you cannot allow for the time to bring the screen out of the dash to display the camera view.

I am OK with the interior though as it is a more simple, driver oriented set up where if you want cushy I would get the MB. Really love the cluster with the big display though.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I had to do a WTF when I read the release this morning.

No DSG. Uglier seats. At least they kept Sport Diff.

Originally posted by schocker
    was hoping for the S4 but this really makes me prefer the MB even more even though I am giant vw/audi fanboi #1.
    I also don't see much improvement in material grade of interior.

Unless it's proven to be underrated rating by a wide margin, I think Audi lost this round to MB.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-15-2015 at 10:22 AM.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

At comparable price, the C450 gets my vote.

Originally posted by schocker

I have done a little bit of research into this, and the reasoning is due to NTSHA and that with the mandatory back up cams, you cannot allow for the time to bring the screen out of the dash to display the camera view.
    Interesting - how do they get away with it in the A3/S3 then? The screen only takes about 2 seconds to come out.

They could also just build it into the dash like everyone else for that high-end look and not have it look like a soccer mom's aftermarket GPS screen. At least with the Infiniti Q30 they built it in properly.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Interesting - how do they get away with it in the A3/S3 then? The screen only takes about 2 seconds to come out.

They could also just build it into the dash like everyone else for that high-end look and not have it look like a soccer mom's aftermarket GPS screen. At least with the Infiniti Q30 they built it in properly.
    I think a retractable screen where the back up cam is shown is a liability going forward.

May 2018 is when the law goes in. I'm sure by then, all Audi's will have fixed screens and/or virtual cockpit.

My Ride
    Grimace

^^Yeah, it hasn't taken effect yet, they are just getting ready for it so they don't have to do an early refresh and incorporate a new screen setup. My favorite screen right now is the BMW setup where it is kind of more integrated into the dash.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Such a boring looking car. I miss the old aggressive fender flare.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

What the hell have they done to their interiors?!!?

I'm a massive, massive Audi fanboi.... but yikes... the duct taped tablet to the dash look has got to go. It's awful.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

For those bitching about the tablet screen, go for a drive in one. In 10 mins you won't even notice it anymore. You will notice being able to look at the screen while driving and still seeing the road and obstacles with your peripherals.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

click for larger version
    click for larger version

Not being a fanboy of either brand I can't say I think one is better than the other. The thing that looks out of place is that long vent across the dash.

Still prefer Audi exterior over MB one.
    Last edited by Aleks; 09-15-2015 at 11:47 AM.

Originally posted by Aleks
    Still prefer Audi exterior over MB one.
    For sedan, yeah, for sure. But godamn the new C-coupe has the looks to match the interior.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-14-2019 at 02:28 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by BavarianBeast
    Looks boring. Any word on an RS4?
    I bet it would be S4 with fender flare and same engine with electric turbocharger for more low end response.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast