Quantcast
Not your BMW! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Not your BMW!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Not your BMW!

How does this even happen? I feel bad for the chick, but holy fuck lol. Had to triple check that it wasn't an onion article.

http://www.rt.com/usa/315229-police-...an-psych-ward/

A black New York woman is suing the city and a hospital after being injected with heavy drugs and forced to spend eight days in a psych ward – all because police did not believe she owned a BMW. She was slapped with a $13,000 hospital bill upon release.

In her first on-camera interview since the incident, the 32-year-old African American banker, Kamilah Brock, told PIX 11 the whole ordeal was a “nightmare.”

Brock was pulled over by police on September 12, 2014, while waiting at a red light in Harlem, according to the lawsuit. An officer asked her why her hands were not on the steering wheel.

She responded: “I was dancing, I am at a light.” She was asked to get out of the car and then taken into custody.

After arriving at NYPD’s 30th precinct, Brock was held for several hours and then released without charge, but was told she could only pick up her 2003 BMW 325Cl the following day.

However, ensuing events totally spiraled out of control – once Brock returned to ask for her car back, police officers refused to believe that the black woman could be the owner of such a luxurious vehicle.

“I just felt like from the moment I said I owned a BMW, I was looked at as a liar,” Brock told PIX 11. “They put me in handcuffs and said they just need to put me in handcuffs to take me to my car. And I said OK, whatever it’s gonna take to get to my car.”

“Then EMS approached me. And they said we’re gonna take you to your car. And I’m like, in an ambulance? I’m going to my car in an ambulance? I was just so confused.”
    Her next destination, however, turned out to be the psychiatric ward at Harlem Hospital, where medical records revealed she was forced to take lithium and injected with powerful sedatives.

“He held onto me and then the doctor stuck me in the arm and I was on a stretcher and I woke up to them taking my clothes off, specifically my underwear,” Brock said. “Then I went back out again. When I woke up the next day, I felt like I was in a nightmare. I didn’t understand why that was happening to me.”

During her eight-day stay, hospital staff tried to force her to deny that she owned the car, that she was a banker, and that US President Barack Obama followed her on Twitter – all true facts.

To make matters worse, Brock was sent a $13,000 medical bill after she was released.

Brock has filed a suit against the City of New York and the NYC Health and Hospitals Corporation (HHC) seeking unspecified damages. She claims that her constitutional rights under the Fourth and 14th Amendments were violated, and that she suffered “unwanted and unwarranted intrusion of her personal integrity, loss of liberty [and] mental anguish.”

Police claim that Brock was “acting irrational, she spoke incoherently and inconsistently, and she ran into the middle of traffic on Eighth Ave,” according to new filings by the city.

According to Brock’s lawyer, Michael Lamonsoff, race played a big part in the case.

“If a white woman was trying to reclaim her BMW impounded by police, would she have been made a victim?” he told the Huffington Post. “Would she have been questioned? Would she have been subject to sarcastic comments? Would she be made to justify who she was in order to ask for help? I don’t think so. I do think race played a part in this.”
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Last edited by codetrap; 01-01-2017 at 10:51 AM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    V8s

I just read this on Autoblog. There's got to be more to the story; i.e. she must have been actin' a fool.

It would be so easy to prove that it's her car, if she just rationally said "compare my registration to my DL", would it not be a simple problem to solve?

But who am I to say. Maybe they just discriminated the shit outta this woman, and fully deserve to be sued

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

May be she was dancing to some white people music.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

The fuck?

That car is worth like $4k, why would that be hard to believe lol.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

I dunno guys... 2003 BMW 325Cl is a pretty obscenely luxurious ride.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-14-2019 at 02:28 PM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by lilmira
    May be she was dancing to some white people music.
    You can't line dance in a car!

My Ride
    M3P

I'd really like to believe this was 100% a racial crime and say good riddance NYPD.

However, I feel like she was acting some type of way.

Originally posted by hurrdurr
    I'd really like to believe this was 100% a racial crime and say good riddance NYPD.

However, I feel like she was acting some type of way.

Well, when this is all said and done, she will be able to afford MUCH more than just a 2003 BMW... Holy fuck!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Rich Homey Quan should be driving a Mercedes.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

My Ride
    09 WRX

Originally posted by rage2
    Rich Homey Quan should be driving a Mercedes.
    The man couldn't even afford a shirt for this video, how he gonna afford a Mercedes?

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I would love to see some video of this. I'm guessing it would be reminiscent of that crazy dentist lady from up by Edmonton that said the cop shit kicked her for no reason (or something like that) when in the end, bitch was crazy.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

This is one of those stories where you hope the victim is just plain crazy, because otherwise it means the NYPD itself has gone totally batshit crazy.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    BMW 428i Gran Coupe

Interesting to see how this develops.

The lady might just walk away with a fat enough check to guarantee her early retirement. Well worth the 8 days spent in psyc id say.

My Ride
    550i, X5

I have a hard time believing the hospital workers just played along with the racism no questions asked. This completely innocent and calm woman was just pumped full of drugs cause the cops said she was crazy...yeah, bullshit.
    She probably snapped and got all Maury Povich on them, probably pulling the race card herself.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Of course, a perfectly good explanation is boring, so the answer is, it's fucking voodoo.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Geez, that's pretty awful.

I have my doubts that this story is 100% true. This whole war on police thing is getting old.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast