Quantcast
Leap Manifesto backed by NDP supporters - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Leap Manifesto backed by NDP supporters

Default Leap Manifesto backed by NDP supporters

Everyone loves a thread with the word manifesto in it.
    Falls in line with the NDP vision for Alberta, you know the non embarrasing cousin one.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/elect...nomy-1.2563937

OTTAWA -- Just as Tom Mulcair attempts to convince Canadians that the NDP is a safe, moderate choice in the Oct. 19 election, some of his party's highest profile supporters are issuing a manifesto calling for a radical restructuring of the country's economy.
    The "leap manifesto," signed by more than 100 actors, musicians, labour unions, aboriginal leaders, environmentalists and other activists, aims to pressure the next federal government to wean Canada entirely off fossil fuels in as little as 20 years and, in the process, upend the capitalist system on which the economy is based.
    The drivers of the manifesto are best-selling author Naomi Klein and her husband Avi Lewis. It echoes the theme of Klein's latest book: "This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. the Climate," which was turned into a documentary of the same name, directed by Lewis.

Today's release of the manifesto coincides with the debut of the documentary over the weekend at the Toronto International Film Festival.
    The dramatic transformation envisioned in the manifesto is in stark contrast to the pragmatic platform Mulcair is offering: balanced budgets, an openness to free trade deals, sustainable development of Alberta's oil sands, no tax hikes except for a "slight and graduated" increase in the corporate tax rate.
    Yet among the celebrity signatories are a number of prominent NDP supporters, including former Ontario NDP leader Stephen Lewis, father of Avi, who gave a rousing introduction for Mulcair at a campaign event in Toronto last month.
    Others signatories who've declared their NDP sympathies include pop duo Tegan and Sara, singer-songwriter Leslie Feist, Canadian Labour Congress president Hassan Yussuf and Paul Moist, president of the Canadian Union of Public Employees.
    Stephen Lewis doesn't see his support for Mulcair as inconsistent with the manifesto, which he notes is also signed by people from other parties, including Roy McMurtry, a former Ontario chief justice and one-time provincial Conservative cabinet minister.
    "For the New Democrats, it's an extension of the kinds of things they've been talking about," Lewis said in an interview.
    "When Tom Mulcair talks about climate change and the importance of dealing with global warming in Canada and internationally, this is an extension -- admittedly a dramatic and vivid extension -- of the kinds of things that many of us yearn for."
    Starting with the premise that Canada's record on climate change is "a crime against humanity's future," the manifesto argues the country needs to make the leap from fossil fuel dependence to getting 100 per cent of its electricity from renewable resources -- a feat it maintains is feasible within two decades.
    This means adopting a new "iron law" of energy development: "If you wouldn't want it in your backyard, then it doesn't belong in anyone's backyard," to be applied equally to pipelines, fracking, increased oil tanker traffic and Canadian-owned mining projects abroad.
    In the process, the manifesto envisions a transformation of the entire capitalist system into a Utopia in which the economy is "in balance with the earth's limits," jobs "are designed to systematically eliminate racial and gender inequality," agriculture is "far more localized and ecologically based," and low-carbon sectors of the economy, like caregiving, teaching, social work, the arts and public-interest media, flourish.
    The signatories declare their belief in "energy democracy," in which energy sources are collectively controlled by communities, rather than "profit-gouging" private companies.
    They call for an end to "all corporate trade deals" that interfere with attempts to build local economies and regulate corporations.
    In contrast to Mulcair's insistence that running deficits puts an unfair economic burden on future generations, the signatories declare that "austerity -- which has systematically attacked low-carbon sectors like education and health care, while starving public transit and forcing reckless energy privatizations -- is a fossilized form of thinking that has become a threat to life on earth."
    The signatories assert that the money to pay for the transformation they envision is readily available. All it requires is for the federal government to end fossil fuel subsidies, cut military spending and impose financial transaction taxes, increased resource royalties and higher income taxes on corporations and wealthy individuals.
    Other manifesto signatories include actors Ellen Page, Rachel McAdams, Sarah Polley, Pamela Anderson and Donald Sutherland, singers Bruce Cockburn, Neil Young, Gord Downie, Sarah Harmer and Leonard Cohen, novelists Michael Ondaatje and Joseph Boyden, environmentalist David Suzuki, anti-free trade activist Maude Barlow, artist Robert Bateman and film director Patricia Rozema.
    Last edited by phreezee; 09-15-2015 at 04:41 PM.

Last edited by vengie; 09-15-2015 at 03:41 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

It's good for people and parties to be transparent about their goals and plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

NDP ------> entrance door

capital investors -------> exit door

My Ride
    You Crazy

Has nothing to do with NDP.

But anything that was signed by Pamela Anderson, can't be all bad. Haha.

Maybe I'll read it now that I know she did.

signed by more than 100 actors, musicians, labour unions, aboriginal leaders, environmentalists and other activists, aims to pressure the next federal government to wean Canada entirely off fossil fuels in as little as 20 years
    Can somebody please tell these self-entitled "celebrities" to go fuck themselves.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

20 Years? Have they even quantified the amount of power from renewables they'll need to do this?

If they plan to include nuclear, perhaps it's doable. But nuclear is a scary topic that no one understands.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

The delusion is real, anyway to gamble on the election because I know my portfolio is going to shit the bed the day after if NDP wins.

I want to put a hedge on the ndp lol

My Ride
    You Crazy

NDP will win. No question. Dictator be gone! ha

I wonder what Pamela Anderson looks lime naked today? Is that how they got the other signatures?

Originally posted by Toma
    NDP will win. No question. Dictator be gone! ha

I wonder what Pamela Anderson looks lime naked today? Is that how they got the other signatures?
    Care to wager?

My Ride
    Nothing

yea, that's um .... scary ... lol
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Last edited by codetrap; 01-01-2017 at 10:51 AM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Originally posted by Canmorite
    20 Years? Have they even quantified the amount of power from renewables they'll need to do this?

If they plan to include nuclear, perhaps it's doable. But nuclear is a scary topic that no one understands.
    Alberta is one of the perfect places for a Nuclear plant...it's not like we can have an earthquake to destroy it. Just need to weather protect the facility for winter and boom, no more coal or NG needed for power in the province.

Originally posted by codetrap
    Hey phreezee, you're starting to get into toma territory with your thread title..

"Manifesto backed by NDP supporters calls for overhaul of capitalist economy", is a far cry from "Manifesto back by NDP"
    When you're right, you're right.. I changed it to "Leap Manifesto backed by NDP supporters"

My Ride
    Nothing

Originally posted by Type_S1

Alberta is one of the perfect places for a Nuclear plant...it's not like we can have an earthquake to destroy it. Just need to weather protect the facility for winter and boom, no more coal or NG needed for power in the province.
    yea, until it leaks radiation into the ground

coal > *
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Originally posted by Canmorite

The future will run on rainbows and unicorns farts and everyone will be happy!

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Why do people out east get so worked up about what goes on out here? I'd feel like an asshole demanding that they change to suit my beliefs. But it doesn't bother them at all.

I think that it will be very difficult to farm without any fossil fuels, and that's a pretty big part of the west.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by SKR
    Why do people out east get so worked up about what goes on out here? I'd feel like an asshole demanding that they change to suit my beliefs. But it doesn't bother them at all.

I think that it will be very difficult to farm without any fossil fuels, and that's a pretty big part of the west.
    Haven't you seen interstellar, the combines are all electric/solar and run using GPS so no farmers either.

Originally posted by M.alex

yea, until it leaks radiation into the ground

coal > *
    Oh is that what happens? You have researched nuclear energy before and the effects it would have in a remote are of Alberta?

I personally have no idea but don't pretend I do and make eye roll emojis. Nuclear energy is the only future if people want to stop the use of hydrocarbons. If Alberta and Canada are so concerned on stopping the oil industry and tar sands they should begin to invest I'm nuclear.

Originally posted by codetrap
    Hey phreezee, you're starting to get into toma territory with your thread title..

"Manifesto backed by NDP supporters calls for overhaul of capitalist economy", is a far cry from "Manifesto back by NDP"
    It is quite the rabbit hole to go down if you hold the party accountable for what their supporters believe.

"Green Party supporters endorse yogic flying."
    "Conservatives supporters believe Jesus rode dinosaurs"
    "Liberal supporters want Trudeau's hair to be national haircut"
    "Bloc supporters want to cut bills in half to protect local economies"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast