Quantcast
Alberta school language question - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alberta school language question

My Ride
    2017 Nissan Morano/2018 Chevy Cruze/2001 Dodge2500

Default Alberta school language question

Good morning all

I have a question about language in the school system now a days. When I was younger we had to learn French from elementary school up to grade 8. Is that still the same rule or are you able to put your child through a different language?

My Ride
    G6

I think it's K-6, then optional.

My Ride

Is French mandatory here in Alberta or can my child learn a different language?

My Ride
    2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GT

there are spanish and mandarin immersion schools

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by snoop101
    Is French mandatory here in Alberta or can my child learn a different language?
    in a normal public school its just french. I don't think there are language options until high school ( imersion / special programs aside).

I think they made changes requiring french up to grade 9 in the last 5 years or so. I didn't have to do it but my friends sister who just graduated high had to in grade 9 i think?

Once you are in high school they don't make you take french though.

Personally I managed to get through 12 years without taking any of it here. I don't speak a word of french.

edit: I think this is the intiative. Its not about your kid learning a language. Its about promote french and ensuring Albertans are moderately bilingual.

http://www.education.alberta.ca/fran...compl/fsl.aspx
    Last edited by killramos; 09-18-2015 at 09:11 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My coworkers kids go to a Spanish immersion school for what its worth.

My Ride

I live in Cochrane so might be a bit harder, but going to take a look at Spanish immersion.

Thank you all

My son's in grade 6 and only done French for the last couple years but hes not in a public school. I don't understand why French should be mandatory in the early years if it's not later on. The majority of kids skip French the first chance they get. If French was important as a parent you should put them in a French immersion school. I have 5 or 6 nieces and nephews who do just this in a small town but their parents goal is for them to be bi lingual for different jobs and schools for when they are older. They have a long term goal as opposed to just taking a class you'll soon forget.

Without a goal like that learning French is useless. Once you stop using it you'll forget it all. Personally I wish my son could learn Spanish in schools so he could translate on all of our vacations.

My Ride

Originally posted by gwill
    My son's in grade 6 and only done French for the last couple years but hes not in a public school. I don't understand why French should be mandatory in the early years if it's not later on. The majority of kids skip French the first chance they get. If French was important as a parent you should put them in a French immersion school. I have 5 or 6 nieces and nephews who do just this in a small town but their parents goal is for them to be bi lingual for different jobs and schools for when they are older. They have a long term goal as opposed to just taking a class you'll soon forget.

Without a goal like that learning French is useless. Once you stop using it you'll forget it all. Personally I wish my son could learn Spanish in schools so he could translate on all of our vacations.
    I think that is our goal is that we would like our daughter to learn another language (granted I wish programming was considered another language), but would rather her learn something she will use and enjoy.

In the CBE system, the only immersion schools are French. Spanish, German and Mandarin are all bilingual schools meaning the child is taught some courses in English - French immersion is all taught in French.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Originally posted by speedog
    French immersion is all taught in French.
    Is that how it is now? I took French immersion K-12 and only about 3/4s of our classes were taught in French.

My Ride
    2008 Nissan Titan

Why would't you want your child to learn French. It's the most useful second language in Canada and you seem a little ignorant when people find out you can't speak your official second language.

I do wish my schools offered other Languages in Junior high though.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by lil*tymer
    Why would't you want your child to learn French. It's the most useful second language in Canada and you seem a little ignorant when people find out you can't speak your official second language.

I know exactly one person who is fluent in French. Most places in Quebec you can get away with only speaking English, in fact, the hardest place to get service in English in Canada seems to be northern f*&king New Brunswick.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Honestly the first time I used French since HS (almost 15 years ago) was this summer in France and Belgium It sure as hell helped (even though almost over half the people I met or spoke to there knew English as well, especially in Belgium), but other than those 2 countries, Quebec + pockets of Maritime provinces and half of the African continent are the only other places in the world it's used, places that aren't really high on the 'want to visit' list for me at at least.

edit: On a side note knowing more languages than just English is always a plus, you never know when you might need it. Also in terms of French, a lot of the Romantic languages (French, Italian, Spanish, Romanian etc) have very similar spelling overall, helps if you want to additionally learn one of those too thereafter.
    Last edited by n1zm0; 09-18-2015 at 12:06 PM.

Why would't you want your child to learn French. It's the most useful second language in Canada
    And the most useLESS 2nd language outside of Canada.

In my limited travel experience, knowing Spanish as a 2nd language would be much, much more useful overall.

And as for within Canada, obviously it depends where you are. Vancouver? Better to know some Cantonese.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

I thought it depends on the school district?
    I was only required to take it in grade 5 when I moved into the city. Maybe things have changed recently?

I couldn't do french to save my life.... Spanish is way easier to learn and IMO way more useful.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

Some of my family lived in a French town all their life. They fluently spoke French most of their child hood and early years as an adult. Once they stopped using it they forgot everything. Unless you plan to live in Quebec or get a job that requires French there is little to no reason to learn it. There's next to no incentive for our kids to use it once they are no longer required to learn it in school.

I would be curious to see the number of kids who continue with French once it's not required. I bet the number is ridiculously low. It's a waste of resources when this is considered.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    Most METROPOLITAN places in Quebec you can get away with only speaking English
    Fixed

I spent 2 weeks in Quebec once. Loved it but you wont get anything done in English once you leave the cities.

Montreal - yes
    QC - usually
    Laval - 50/50

Outside the St. Lawrence region - no

My Ride

Out of curiosity does anyone know if it's mandatory for kids in California and other southern US states to learn Spanish or is it optional?

I know there is far more Spanish speaking population in the US then French speaking in Canada.

As for my daughter learning French I think it's just a big waste of time and resources as others have said. People that push their kids into French now at a young age are just gambling that French will be an official secondary language in Canada when they grow up. The small % of careers that must have french is so slim that it makes no sense. I would rather my kid learn a language that she will use in the future that may not even matter if her career is affected by it.

I speak French and use it far more often than one would imagine. Also, learning French does make it easier when trying to understand Spanish and other Latin based languages as they share many aspects. When I go to Mexico etc it amazes me how quickly I pick up conversation and I can attribute that to having learned French...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast