Quantcast
CDL Flooring Calgary - Avoid - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: CDL Flooring Calgary - Avoid

Exclamation CDL Flooring Calgary - Avoid

Hello homereno'ers,

Just a heads up to those out there to avoid CDL Flooring Calgary (also known as CDL Carpet & Floor Centre). Run by Colin Haugrud.

Homestars review of CDL Flooring Calgary
    BBB review of CDL Flooring Calgary

We had employed them to do a rip out of existing flooring to ship lap, installation of a new plywood sub flooring (3/4" ply on top of existing ship lap) as well as the flooring product itself (Karndean vinyl). Unfortunately there is one 2-3 linear foot area where the new sub floor wasn't leveled out so there is a noticeable ridge that you can feel and can visibly notice. They refuse to stand by their work and are claiming that it was a structural defect. However this issue wasn't present with the existing solid wood flooring.

We feel that as we have employed them to do all the work that they could have notified us that there was an issue during installation instead of completing the work. They were given our contact information for any concerns. The install crew would have had three opportunities to catch this. During the 3/4 in plywood installation, during the application of a leveling compound, and during the installation of the vinyl flooring.

Once receiving our compliant they sent out the original crew who claimed that there was a high point in the flooring joist. CDL Flooring offered to come up with a quote to come fix it. After having another independent crew come out at our cost they disagreed with the first. We informed CDL Flooring and Colin came out and said that the joist has a low point and that the work would not be covered.

We feel that the issue is that during the 3/4" plywood installation the crew did not bother to conduct any leveling efforts either by sanding or shimming the plywood sub floor. The linear ridge in the floor just so happens to be where two plywood sheets meet. Instead of doing something to minimize the the height difference a leveling compound was used to feather the transition which has lead to the creation of a ridge.

Additionally we have found that the crew did not install the vinyl flooring to the manufacturers specifications which state that the existing floor or sub floor must be level.

We have been very reasonable throughout this and have even offered to cover the material costs, mistakes happen. They have been less accommodating which has earned them this post on beyond.

If there are any flooring crews out there who have worked with Karndean vinyl and would like to earn some money send me a PM. We will pay out of pocket to correct CDL Flooring's mistake. We will not be paying CDL Flooring to correct their own installation issue.

This thread will remain active until compensation is received from CDL Flooring Calgary with an apology for our wasted time.
    Last edited by LOLzilla; 09-18-2015 at 04:52 PM.

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

What was the price you paid per sq ft for install? What does your contract say in regards to additional work required?

I can see both sides... You are upset they never charged you $500 extra (or whatever amount) and fixed it, but many times things like this get fixed and then the homeowners complains about getting charged.

All comes down to what is in the contract...btw, I am a contractor and have installed thousands of sq ft in numerous homes. Often times we're damned if we do and damned if we don't....

Would you like to come out and fix it?

We just used CDL recently as well - not impressed with them at all.

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 02:04 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Originally posted by Cos

Silly question, but why not as a contractor inform the customer "Hey, so this spot is low, I should fix it for $500. However you CAN leave it but you'll notice this ridge. Up to you and I'm sorry it wasn't noticed before but you can't tell until the existing floor is ripped up".

Why have to fight with anyone at all?
    In my business, if you don't say anything and start to tile over a substrate you've "bought it". Meaning if there is a problem with that substrate, it's on you as the professional.
    When I sub'd for flooring companies we had to let someone know if something wasn't kosher. If the customer/general contractor didn't want to pay to properly fix it, then they had to sign off on it.
    But if you starting tiling without saying anything, anything after that is on your dime.

Originally posted by Cos

Silly question, but why not as a contractor inform the customer "Hey, so this spot is low, I should fix it for $500. However you CAN leave it but you'll notice this ridge. Up to you and I'm sorry it wasn't noticed before but you can't tell until the existing floor is ripped up".

Why have to fight with anyone at all?
    Excellent question. This sounds like actual customer service to me. Unsure how it was lost on CDL Flooring though. But hey, the contract didn't clearly state they have to inform of us any issues. (This is legit one of the reasons they have given us.)

In addition, apparently at CDL Flooring the customer is considered a contractor and is supposed to notify the installation crew of high and low spots. (Again, a legit excuse they have given us.)

I'm left with the impressions that CDL is a amateur flooring shop.

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Originally posted by C_Dave45

In my business, if you don't say anything and start to tile over a substrate you've "bought it". Meaning if there is a problem with that substrate, it's on you as the professional.
    When I sub'd for flooring companies we had to let someone know if something wasn't kosher. If the customer/general contractor didn't want to pay to properly fix it, then they had to sign off on it.
    But if you starting tiling without saying anything, anything after that is on your dime.

That's how I deal with it also. I was just referring before to the fact that many homeowners don't like when you add to their quote after the fact, somehow believing I should be able to see under subfloors and through walls and include these unknown problems in the original quote.

West Valley Carpet & Flooring is another one to avoid at all costs for anyone wondering.

On a more positive note I had a very good experience with FloorScapes.

Originally posted by project240

That's how I deal with it also. I was just referring before to the fact that many homeowners don't like when you add to their quote after the fact, somehow believing I should be able to see under subfloors and through walls and include these unknown problems in the original quote.
    Yes, that and the ever popular "so a thousand bucks extra to repair this such-and-such? Sure no problem, go ahead." Then when the bill comes they refuse to pay any extras, referring back to your original quote. Had a large builder stiff me for over $2,000 in agreed-upon extras on a $5,000 invoice. Looked me right in the eye, shook my hand and PROMISED me I wouldn't be out any money on this job.

My Ride
    Hatred

Yes, that and the ever popular "so a thousand bucks extra to repair this such-and-such? Sure no problem, go ahead." Then when the bill comes they refuse to pay any extras, referring back to your original quote. Had a large builder stiff me for over $2,000 in agreed-upon extras on a $5,000 invoice. Looked me right in the eye, shook my hand and PROMISED me I wouldn't be out any money on this job.
    You really need to get people to start signing change orders or something.
    -U

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Yep, just one of many things that are starting to really annoy me with this industry... Haha.