Quantcast
Automotive career path advice. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Automotive career path advice.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Default Automotive career path advice.

The time has come for me to move on from my current job I think. I have been here for 4 years now, and service advising for almost all of that time. I find that I don't mind my job but some of the changes they have implemented and also mostly some of my coworkers I don't enjoy. I really want to move up into management or at least something different in automotives. I'm struggling to find my next step as it seems like almost everything management or higher then I am now requires experience I don't have and can't get easily (almost like a never ending cycle). I have a really strong passion for automotive stuff as a lot of people who have met me know.

Where do I go from here?

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

I'm only speaking with 2nd hand knowledge. My brother has a degree with an automotive specialization and has worked both, at a dealership level, and for the corporate arms of the manufacturers.

Typically, there is a sales and service side on the Corp ladder. Maybe try speaking with your regional service rep (corp - if you can trust the fact he won't backdoor you). He may be able to line you up with a corporate job at the service level. From there you can switch to sales if you wish.

You could also try the aftermarket, or fleet companies. One that comes to mind is ARI. They are based out of New Jersey and owned by the Holman Group.

One note of caution is that the mgmt level on the dealer side brings with it a heap of BS. As long as you go in eyes wide open, you should be fine. You will probably have to start in sales though and then progress up if you are successful.

What experience do you have already? Depending what type of automotive management job you are hoping to move up to eventually, the best thing to do is garner as much variety of relevant experience as possible, and sometimes that means moving around from place to place and job to job as those opportunities come availavle, at least if your current place of employment is not giving you those opportunities...

In my experience, the best managers in the automotive game are the ones that started at the bottom and worked their way to the top through virtually every job in their field. They are the ones that actually understand how the business works and all the challenges with all the aspects from first hand experience. That is invaluable...

My Ride
    DA6, R59

I'm in the same boat. The one small peice of advice is if you are to start looking. Be careful where and who you talk to and apply. The industry is very small and people like to talk... if you are considered a valuable asset to your company, that could work to your favor.

As motioned before, try and take on extra duties that would be relevant for you to make the transition and make sure you are in the top 10% of what you do. If your manufacturer is like mine, they measure advisors on csi, be the best and if your numbers are good, there shouldn't be much opposition if you want to make the move when the time comes.

Now if your numbers we're at the bottom and customers always complained about you and you were looking to hire someone, would you choose you?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by SkiBum5.0
    I'm only speaking with 2nd hand knowledge. My brother has a degree with an automotive specialization and has worked both, at a dealership level, and for the corporate arms of the manufacturers.

Typically, there is a sales and service side on the Corp ladder. Maybe try speaking with your regional service rep (corp - if you can trust the fact he won't backdoor you). He may be able to line you up with a corporate job at the service level. From there you can switch to sales if you wish.

You could also try the aftermarket, or fleet companies. One that comes to mind is ARI. They are based out of New Jersey and owned by the Holman Group.

One note of caution is that the mgmt level on the dealer side brings with it a heap of BS. As long as you go in eyes wide open, you should be fine. You will probably have to start in sales though and then progress up if you are successful.
    Thanks, I did see a local posting for ARI.

Originally posted by tirebob
    What experience do you have already? Depending what type of automotive management job you are hoping to move up to eventually, the best thing to do is garner as much variety of relevant experience as possible, and sometimes that means moving around from place to place and job to job as those opportunities come availavle, at least if your current place of employment is not giving you those opportunities...

In my experience, the best managers in the automotive game are the ones that started at the bottom and worked their way to the top through virtually every job in their field. They are the ones that actually understand how the business works and all the challenges with all the aspects from first hand experience. That is invaluable...
    I have service advised for four years now, also I help Kyle at Spec R on the side with tire and wheel sales. I also have my diploma from Sait in Automotive Service Technology.

Originally posted by jdmXSI
    I'm in the same boat. The one small peice of advice is if you are to start looking. Be careful where and who you talk to and apply. The industry is very small and people like to talk... if you are considered a valuable asset to your company, that could work to your favor.

As motioned before, try and take on extra duties that would be relevant for you to make the transition and make sure you are in the top 10% of what you do. If your manufacturer is like mine, they measure advisors on csi, be the best and if your numbers are good, there shouldn't be much opposition if you want to make the move when the time comes.

Now if your numbers we're at the bottom and customers always complained about you and you were looking to hire someone, would you choose you?
    I am currently the senior guy in the drive through at work, I take care of some major fleet accounts and hold the highest CSI (3.8 out of 4.0 average).

My Ride
    DA6, R59

Sounds like you are on the right track. Have you spoken with your manager or gm to let them them know where you want to go?

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-04-2020 at 09:59 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Sounds like you are on the right track. Have you spoken with your manager or gm to let them them know where you want to go?
    I've hinted to my manager that I want to do something more important but it seems to be brushed off. I feel like I don't have an in here as most managers are here for years and years of even lifers.

Originally posted by Rat Fink
    You've got a few options.

1. Fight for the only promotion left on the service side that would then make you completely topped out. (Service Manager). I'm not sure I would really call that a promotion, as I've never really seen a happy service manager who got paid well. Taking on Service Manager can often be a pay-cut for some advisors and service techs too.....so it's like a promotion in one way and a demotion in another. It's a tough gig at a bad dealership. If the higher up management are a bunch of losers you'll fight a war on two fronts - battling with upper management and battling with customers trained by the shitty upper management to be dickheads to get discounts.

2. Your dealer principle typically has a hard-on for the sales side anyways, and service side is like the red-headed step child even though service makes more money than the sales dept. You could switch to the sales floor and work your way up. Hopefully you can break into the "old boys club" your dealership likely has before they squash you by stealing all your customers. You'll have to be an ass-kissing weasel while you work at night courses for business. Eventually you could maybe work into a sales manager role after a decade or so.

3. Start your own business and forge your own destiny. Can either make you or set you back decades of your life financially.

4. Go for a corporate job out east, or in the US. You won't be considered with a diploma. You'll have to upgrade to a degree in business or engineering (or both) to get a decent gig. Whatever you get will still potentially pay less than what some of the top service advisors or service techs make, and you'd have to live in an Ontario or US shithole.

5. See if your dealer principle has a hot daughter. Try and date her and do everything you can to marry her. You'll be fast-tracked to the top! When the old man kicks the bucket, you've got yourself a dealership!

6. Go for a different career that offers exciting challenges and keep automotives as a hobby.
    #1 is not likely to happen here.
    #2 sounds ok but I'm worried that selling cars doesnt pay well. I know I could sell them easy enough but I might be a bit young for most buyers to take me seriously.
    #3 I don't have enough capital for right now and not entirely sure what I would want to do.
    #4 I am not likely to move as I would leave everything behind and it would take good pay for me to move out East or to the US.
    #5 No comment.
    #6 I have no idea what I would do, I've thought about it but I may end up making less money.

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 02:04 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Mk6 GTi

Look into related industries. Forklift technicians get paid very well and your skills are transferable. We hire a lot of Journeyman Auto Techs who are sick of flat rate.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by gregrego
    Look into related industries. Forklift technicians get paid very well and your skills are transferable. We hire a lot of Journeyman Auto Techs who are sick of flat rate.
    I am not a journeyman, I just got my diploma from Sait then started advising right away.

My manager just confronted me and asked me if I out a resume out online yesterday, which I did. He seemed kinda worried.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

My manager just confronted me and asked me if I out a resume out online yesterday, which I did. He seemed kinda worried.
    That goes back to this....

I'm in the same boat. The one small peice of advice is if you are to start looking. Be careful where and who you talk to and apply. The industry is very small and people like to talk...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by EK 2.0

That goes back to this....

Yeah I'm not to worried about it. I've told my manager my concerns over the past months about pay, coworkers, advancement etc so I think it's fair for him to expect that when nothing changes I start looking around for better opportunities. I know that if I leave at least one other coworker won't be around long either and we are the two most experienced people.

My Ride
    Ram

heres the problem with service. for service advisors anyways.

there are only 2 positions to work up to.

Either Tower(usually assistant service manager)

OR

Service manager.

if Service manager/asst is Young. No chance of advancement unless they change jobs. IMO

Why take on management roll? Pay? Sometimes its the worth the trouble especially the amount of responsibility/headache it comes with.

I would just renegotiate for better pay/holidays

You could transition into sales. But really you're starting from the bottom again.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by Sorath
    heres the problem with service. for service advisors anyways.

there are only 2 positions to work up to.

Either Tower(usually assistant service manager)

OR

Service manager.

if Service manager/asst is Young. No chance of advancement unless they change jobs. IMO

Why take on management roll? Pay? Sometimes its the worth the trouble especially the amount of responsibility/headache it comes with.

I would just renegotiate for better pay/holidays

You could transition into sales. But really you're starting from the bottom again.
    Tower operator and assistant manager make a fair bit less then me from what I hear. Hours are of course better though. Service manager is maybe 5-8 years older then me, previous service manager has been here over 30 years and is now fixed ops manager.

The hours of sales don't really thrill me but I hear it's possible to make over $100k a year once you build up some clientele.

No negotiation on pay and vacation here

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 02:04 PM.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-04-2020 at 09:59 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 02:03 PM.