Quantcast
Evo Vs. STI still a thing? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Evo Vs. STI still a thing?

My Ride
    DC2

Default Evo Vs. STI still a thing?

I was just wondering to myself if the evo vs. STI is still a thing? the reason I ask is because it seems like Mitsu really haven't done anything to update their vehicle ever since its release. I know the STI have had different body styles throughout the years but I am unsure if they did anything to change the driving dynamics.

Also, with the S3 and VW R etc.... entering the market. Where do these "rally" cars actually stand now a days?
    Last edited by Darkenergy; 09-23-2015 at 11:59 AM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Even mitsu has stated the evo is dead. So no it really isn't a thing. The car was literally released 10 years ago and hasn't changed since.

Mitsu will keep selling them so long as people keep buying them but they aren't even really relevant on a performance level any more.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

The Evo X is still the performance benchmark for AWD cars. The 15+ STI comes close but for all out performance the Evo is still slightly better. There's really no comparison if you're talking about pre 2015 STI's.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Speaking strictly about handling, I've heard the new STI handles like an EVO, meaning lots of fun. The EVO is the benchmark, but it hasn't changed much, and competitors are finally getting close to EVO performance. I'm surprised Mitsubishi is still around TBH. R32 isn't even comparable to an EVO. If you're talking Golf R, up to the last gen, you couldn't compare it either. The beauty of the EVO X is how well you can play with its ass in any cornering situation.

I need to drive the new STI, Golf R, and S3 to see how they rank. I ended up with a GLA45 because it's close to an EVO in terms of handling dynamics, just with a little less oversteer.

edit - I heard from gpomp.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    WRX STI

I wouldnt say the EVO X is the performance benchmark. I would say the EVO takes the prize for handling for sure.
    Strightline speed the STI will take it. The Interior also goes to the STI. The Evo interior is beyond aweful. I also enjoy the more manual diff settings on the STi vs just the "Snow, Gravel, Tarmac" settings on the EVO. They are both great cars and have their Positives and Negitives, but i personally would choose an STi all day long.

My Ride
    DC2

Originally posted by rage2
    Speaking strictly about handling, I've heard the new STI handles like an EVO, meaning lots of fun. The EVO is the benchmark, but it hasn't changed much, and competitors are finally getting close to EVO performance. I'm surprised Mitsubishi is still around TBH. R32 isn't even comparable to an EVO. If you're talking Golf R, up to the last gen, you couldn't compare it either. The beauty of the EVO X is how well you can play with its ass in any cornering situation.

I need to drive the new STI, Golf R, and S3 to see how they rank. I ended up with a GLA45 because it's close to an EVO in terms of handling dynamics, just with a little less oversteer.

edit - I heard from gpomp.
    Yup, sorry. definitely meant the VW

The 15 sti might come close in handling but the engine is still terrible. I'm not sure why Subaru kept the same crappy engine in the new Sti.

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

Love the new 15/16's .. I think it's still a thing. The enthusiasts backing each make remains huge.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by teggypimp95
    I wouldnt say the EVO X is the performance benchmark. I would say the EVO takes the prize for handling for sure.
    Strightline speed the STI will take it. The Interior also goes to the STI. The Evo interior is beyond aweful. I also enjoy the more manual diff settings on the STi vs just the "Snow, Gravel, Tarmac" settings on the EVO. They are both great cars and have their Positives and Negitives, but i personally would choose an STi all day long.
    You talking MR? The GSR is as fast or faster in a straight line than any STI and when you do simple tunes the gap widens in the EVO's favor as it makes more power easier.

The 2010 EVO X SE was essentially a GSR with the MR transmission and as you can see here it's easily faster than the last gen STI in this comparison;

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Evo is done after 2015 So its not really a thing, but I wouldn't own an Evo out of warranty, all of that speed comes from somewhere and it costs $$$ to maintain compared to a STi.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    Evo is done after 2015 So its not really a thing, but I wouldn't own an Evo out of warranty, all of that speed comes from somewhere and it costs $$$ to maintain compared to a STi.
    I wouldn't own another EJ25 out of warranty either. Those hunks of junks are ticking time bombs. How much more can maintenance be on a manual Evo vs a STI?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Evidently, it's still a thing
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    FJC, S30

It'll be a thing till the end of time. The thing subaru has going for them is the price. The STI has basically been the same for 12 years. Just gets cheaper.
    Submaker.Illest.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by KRyn

I wouldn't own another EJ25 out of warranty either. Those hunks of junks are ticking time bombs. How much more can maintenance be on a manual Evo vs a STI?
    The ej25 has never been the problem, its either been the tune (easily remedied) or cracked oil pickup (also cheap/easy to do). The motor itself is fine

The Evo on the other hand... $1800 alone for just the AYC/AWC pump that WILL fail in the cold and isn't covered under warranty (or seems to be a lot of people being denied). Price not including labour. Plus other issues.

At the end of the day, fast cars are expensive to own. No doubt the Evo X is faster, if they firesell them (looks like you can get 0% financing on them right now ), might pick one up next year if there are any left, who knows

My Ride
    Evo, civic

The ej25 has never been the problem, its either been the tune (easily remedied) or cracked oil pickup (also cheap/easy to do). The motor itself is fine

The Evo on the other hand... $1800 alone for just the AYC/AWC pump that WILL fail in the cold and isn't covered under warranty (or seems to be a lot of people being denied). Price not including labour. Plus other issues.

At the end of the day, fast cars are expensive to own. No doubt the Evo X is faster, if they firesell them (looks like you can get 0% financing on them right now ), might pick one up next year if there are any left, who knows
    The AYC pump IS covered under warranty now, even on modded cars.

When you modd and tune both cars, there is simply no comparison on money spent to power.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

I've owned both cars and they both have their pros and cons but the EJ257 is a fragile engine regardless of tune. The lifespan of the engine is short no matter how you take care of it or if you mod it or not as a bad tank of gas can be enough to crack piston 4. As well these engines are notorious for spinning rod bearings. There's nothing beefy about the internals as it's a parts bin engine that Subaru has stretched within an inch of its life. The 4B11 engine in the EVO X is beefy in comparison as it comes with Mahle forged pistons, 4-bolt crank, semi-closed deck.

I found the Cobb maps actually make noticeable power increase in Calgary on an EVO X while their maps for STI (even Stg. 2) make very marginal power improvements with our gasoline as I had to get a tune from Sunny to extract power from the car on par with an EVO X on Cobb Stg. 2.

IMO maintenance is par for the course with an AWD performance car and if you expect Civic like upkeep you will be disappointed but if taken care of both can be fair on the wallet. They can both be costly if you get a bad one as well.
    Last edited by heavyD; 09-23-2015 at 02:51 PM.

The EJ25 is a fat problem.

Head gasket problems
    ring land problems
    oil pick up cracking/breaking
    oil pump problems
    main/con rod bearings
    wrist pin problems [in early non oil squirter models]

Im sure theres more... I know many people that have had numerous problems with these.

I own 2 of them so its not like Im hating on the product. The 2l and 2.2l engines were amazing, oh well.

My Ride
    DC2

Originally posted by msommers
    Evidently, it's still a thing
    Is it though? Like I consider myself to be the type that enjoys the drive more than luxury. But given the choice of a Focus RS or VW R. I don't know if I would take the STI.

EDIT: Not saying a Focus is luxurious or anything.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Add the Golf R to the list.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

Originally posted by 2000impreza
    The 15 sti might come close in handling but the engine is still terrible. I'm not sure why Subaru kept the same crappy engine in the new Sti.
    Because they rushed it to market. The evo might be old but the EJ257 is older. Disapprove.
    dv/dt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast