Quantcast
Does QEII need to be tripled? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Does QEII need to be tripled within next 15 years?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! A total of 6 lanes, 3 North, 3 South all the way from Calgary to Edmonton

68 59.65%
  • In some areas yes, but NOT all the way between Calgary and Edmonton

13 11.40%
  • We don't have money for this. It's fine the way it is right now.

33 28.95%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does QEII need to be tripled?

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Default Does QEII need to be tripled?

What do you guys think?

I drive QEII very often. Majority of my time on it is spent between Highway 597 and Township Road 374 (McKenzie Road) along with the odd trip to Calgary and Edmonton a few times a month.

Over the past few weeks, tripling QEII has came up in conversation a couple of times. I'm wondering if this really needs to done.

Sure, there are still a few spots that need to be tripled, but the whole thing?...

I dug into the AB Trans plans on it and here is what they have planned...

Firstly, their study...
    We will invest $6 million over the next two years to update the six-lane Highway 2 (QE II) Corridor planning study between Edmonton and Calgary, given the current increased traffic volume forecast.
    http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/5141.htm

Secondly, the southern portion of QEII... looks like it will be tripled from Airdie to Carstairs...
    Widening the QEII Highway from a four lane divided freeway to a six lane divided freeway north of Junction 2A/72 (Crossfield) to south of Highway 581 (Carstairs)

Widening the QEII Highway from a four lane divided freeway to a six lane divided freeway, including upgrading the existing Highway 72 interchange to accommodate the widening. Junction 567(Airdrie) to north of Junction 2A/72 (Crossfield)
    http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...s/calgary.aspx

Thirdly, the central portion of QEII... looks like it will be tripled (maybe even quad) from Penhold to Blackfalds...
    Alberta Transportation has identified the need to plan for widening of Highway 2 to a six lane divided freeway standard, with provision for an ultimate eight lane widening upgrade between Highway 42 to Highway 597.
    http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...s/central.aspx

As of now, there seems to be nothing planned north beyond Blackfalds.

It should also be noted that none of the above plans are in the current 3 year plan.

I definitely agree with AB Trans over the central portion plans, and I'm not just saying that because I frequent that area a lot. It should have been tripled years ago.

So what do you guys think? Have you ever found yourself in a situation on QEII where three lanes would have been a benefit? Can the current design of QEII have better legislation that would benefit traffic flow and possibly reduce the need of tripling?

I'm very curious to see what Beyonders think of this.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    2010 S4

Default Re: Does QEII need to be tripled?

Originally posted by 16hypen3sp

So what do you guys think? Have you ever found yourself in a situation on QEII where three lanes would have been a benefit? Can the current design of QEII have better legislation that would benefit traffic flow and possibly reduce the need of tripling?

I'm very curious to see what Beyonders think of this.
    I split my time between Calgary and Edmonton and make the drive very often sometimes every 5 days.

Have I found my self in a situation were 3 lanes would be of benefit? Yes every time I drive it.

The only legislation that would help is left lane bandit laws and out right banning semi's and holiday trailers from the left lane

Would it be great? Or course!

Is it needed? Not really.

I've never been in total gridlock outside except when getting to Edmonton or Calgary during rush hour. Sure you have to deal with traffic and 'slow' people in the fast lane, but you're still moving at the limit the whole way.

My Ride
    something green

Add a lane and add this:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Too loud for Aspen

Yes, this kind of infrastructure should be planned and built two decades before it's needed. Look at the Calgary ring road for a good example of how this wasn't done (massive fail).

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Anthony Henday needs an extra lane added. F-ing brutal everyday I take it to work and it just clogs up around Terwilliger area.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Need to be tripled? Yes
    Where? The entire length of Calgary and Edmonton. i.e. Glenmore

I prefer 2 lanes actually... there's WAY too many left lane hogs in this province. It's nice to not have to worry about the guy in the right lane cutting out to pass the same time as I'm trying to go around this left lane hog bitch.

Solar powered drone brain plane would be awesomer.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...world-records/

But I guess if you had to keep people employed by digging ditches and then filling them in again - its a decent enough idea.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I drive qe2 all the time. While it would be nice, it is super rare to have to drop below 100km/h for more than a couple seconds. Irritating? Sure! But not worth spending billions on.

I'd rather see that infrastructure money goes toward ring road expansions (henday as mentioned, deerfoot for Calgary).

Left lane hog rules and semi's should only be able to use the right lane would make a MASSIVE difference.

Edit-
    The thread title doesn't match the poll title lol. Yes, the QE2 needs to be tripled in the next 15 years if the population of Alberta continues growing.
    Last edited by HiTempguy1; 09-24-2015 at 10:11 AM.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

As stated, the biggest benefit would be banning any vehicle with a trailer attached from the left lane and making semis drive in the right lane regardless of whether or not they are hauling a trailer.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by FraserB
    As stated, the biggest benefit would be banning any vehicle with a trailer attached from the left lane and making semis drive in the right lane regardless of whether or not they are hauling a trailer.
    A vehicle weight limit for the left lane would work great for this. Make it just under the weight of a 1 ton to
    Last edited by killramos; 09-24-2015 at 08:35 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Between Airdrie and Calgary needs to be 4 lanes each way. I drive it daily, and you have people going anywhere from 140+ to just over 100km/h.

It'll be interesting to see how many cars are in the ditch between the two cities this year, the quality of drivers has deteriorated significantly.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by vengie
    It'll be interesting to see how many cars are in the ditch between the two cities this year, the quality of drivers has deteriorated significantly.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

It should have been done 10 years ago and when they finally do it in 20 it will already need to be at 4 lanes each direction...

I drive almost weekly between Edmonton and Calgary and it would be a huge safety improvement to have it at 3 lanes each direction the entire way. And when it is up to 3 lanes, semi's and anything towing needs to be banned from the far left lane.

The problem with banning trailers and semis from the left now as some people have mentioned, is what happens when someone is driving 105 in the right lane? We just deal with a 100km line of vehicles stuck behind? It just isn't practical. But with the third lane it totally is.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by Maxt
    Add a lane and add this:
    Absolutely. If you're going to rebuild the highway, at least adjust it for higher speed limits. Everyone does 120+ already.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Save this money and spend it on a high speed train

My Ride
    4x4

South of Calgary to #3 - needs at least a full shoulder lane to be added...

But yes 2 to Edmonton should be 3 lanes, and learn from BC - straight road, if the coq be 120 QE2 can be much higher...

- 3 lanes, all the way

- Left lane minimum speed limit that is actually enforced with the same frequency as speeding tickets

- Semi's, RV's, vehicles with huge trailers, etc. not allowed in the left lane (except maybe to pass)

- Speed limit 120 or higher (common, safe, flow of traffic is already 120-140)

IMHO that would make a big difference. That highway can be an absolute nightmare to drive. Every time I drive that road, there is always 2 vehicles blocking both lanes below the speed limit, slowing down hundreds of people.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

They should be tripling the areas of Deerfoot that are only 2 lanes first before they worry about going to Edmonton

My Ride
    Lease

I think congestion is mostly from left lane drivers, not the volume of vehicles

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast