Quantcast
Canada revokes citizenship for first time ever. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Canada revokes citizenship for first time ever.

Default Canada revokes citizenship for first time ever.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...ship-1.3245319

I don't know about that. Really, how can you revoke something so innate in nature. By revoking citizenship it externalizes responsibility that he grew his ideals from this country. Its arguably incredibly irresponsible to not take the blame for creating the environment which allowed this type of person to come into being.

Its like Germany after losing the war, revoking the German citizenship of Hitler. Crazy - No, you must fess up as a nation.

It doesn't work that way in my book. You have to take accomplishments as well as failures.

If on the other hand, a citizen decides to renounce their citizenship as the country no longer fits for whatever reason, that makes 100% sense to me.
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

The guy was born in Jordan. Your citizenship can't be taken if you were born here. That's the big controversy, this law basically makes two "classes" of citizens. Born here and not born here.

If convicted by Canadian courts then I am ok with a terrorist losing their citizenship.

Question is what defines a terrorist?

Hitler was born in Austria FYI.

Revoking the papers of a person not deemed to be a valued Canadian, I'm OK with that 24/7. Cull the herd I say. Frankly, we could cull a few thousand and be better for it.

My Ride
    "Four f***ing wheels and a seat!"

Originally posted by frizzlefry
    The guy was born in Jordan. Your citizenship can't be taken if you were born here. That's the big controversy, this law basically makes two "classes" of citizens. Born here and not born here.

If convicted by Canadian courts then I am ok with a terrorist losing their citizenship.

Question is what defines a terrorist?
    The "second class" citizenship is not only applicable to those who were born outside of Canada, but also includes those who were born here if they have or are eligible for another citizenship. (see http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/what-du...-law-1.2426968 )

I was born here in Calgary and have lived in this city my entire life but also happen to have British citizenship as my parents both came to Canada on British passports. I wouldn't trust Kenney's judgement when it comes to assessing who is/isn't a "terrorist".

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by Gainsbarre

The "second class" citizenship is not only applicable to those who were born outside of Canada, but also includes those who were born here if they have or are eligible for another citizenship. (see http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/what-du...-law-1.2426968 )

I was born here in Calgary and have lived in this city my entire life but also happen to have British citizenship as my parents both came to Canada on British passports. I wouldn't trust Kenney's judgement when it comes to assessing who is/isn't a "terrorist".
    I'm reasonably sure that it's the courts who hand out convictions for the charges that get you tossed and not an MP.

Either way, do you seriously want this piece of shit in Canada after serving only 6 years? Seriously doubt he'll be "rehabilitated" at that point.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Nothing

Originally posted by Gainsbarre

Sounds like something a terrorist would say .... have you ever showed other signs of suspicious activity, such as setting stuff on fire.......
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by frizzlefry
    That's the big controversy, this law basically makes two "classes" of citizens. Born here and not born here.
    It's a faux controversy drummed up for election season. Canada has had two "classes" of citizens (ie deportable and non-deportable) due to our agreements under the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness. We can't deport a natural-born single-citizenship Canadian because that would make them stateless. Anybody else is technically deportable and it's been that way for over 50 years.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-02-2020 at 08:44 PM.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

You get new passports. In-laws escaped the USSR and came across Canada. When the iron curtain fell they went to a Polish embassy, traded in their old passports for new ones.

It would be rare to find someone who is stateless.

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
    Hitler was born in Austria FYI.

Revoking the papers of a person not deemed to be a valued Canadian, I'm OK with that 24/7. Cull the herd I say. Frankly, we could cull a few thousand and be better for it.
    Good find.

I'm also in the camp that this guy could be put away in a Canadian jail for a thousand years, but to simply just say "hes not our responsibility?" hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil.

Its like how the Harper government did a complete media hush on that military brass that was running around wearing womens clothing and then eventually went off the deep end and ended up killing a subordinate. Sweeping undesirables under the rug instead of actually dealing with the problem seems to be the rule of day.
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

Stateless at one time always meant poverty, nowadays it is an achieveable and desirable goal for many who have broken through the 8-digit barrier ($10 million or higher net worth)
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Originally posted by ZenOps
    Its like how the Harper government did a complete media hush on that military brass that was running around wearing womens clothing and then eventually went off the deep end and ended up killing a subordinate. Sweeping undesirables under the rug instead of actually dealing with the problem seems to be the rule of day.

And how did the CPC know Russell Williams was running around in womens underwear, eventually killing two women exactly?
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by ZenOps

Overlooking the fact that crossdressing is no one's business but his and it not being illegal.

He was sentenced to two life sentences for first-degree murder, two 10-year sentences for other sexual assaults, two 10-year sentences for forcible confinement, and 82 one-year sentences for breaking and entering. He won't even be eligible for parole for 25 years and was stripped of his military rank.

Can you please explain exactly how this was "brushed under the rug"?
    Last edited by FraserB; 09-27-2015 at 06:36 AM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Originally posted by FraserB

Overlooking the fact that crossdressing is no one's business but his and it not being illegal.

He was sentenced to two life sentences for first-degree murder, two 10-year sentences for other sexual assaults, two 10-year sentences for forcible confinement, and 82 one-year sentences for breaking and entering. He won't even be eligible for parole for 25 years and was stripped of his military rank.

Can you please explain exactly how this was "brushed under the rug"?
    They can't explain it.

But you can.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    Interesting, so how would this affect someone who was born in a state that no longer exists, e.g. the USSR?
    Have you seen the movie terminal?

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-02-2020 at 08:44 PM.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Originally posted by 01RedDX

Yes In that case, "Krakozhia" fell apart while he was in transit but what I'm asking is what if the last valid passport someone had is from a country that ceased to exist at some point after they got to Canada.

My family left the USSR when I was a kid, that was the last state we had passports for before we became Canadian citizens. Where would I get extradited under this law? I wasn't born in Russia but one of the other constituent republics, which doesn't recognize me.
    They just spoke about this on TV. It violates UN convention to leave someone stateless so they can only do this to people with 2 or more citizenships.

Actually, the conservative on TV said that anyone who gets their citizenship stripped will likely be deported which is the whole point of the law. Not sure this makes any sense for the government or safety.

So they get deported. Could result in another Maher Arar type case which the government took a ton of shit for, they don't get imprisoned at all in the other country and are free to join ISIS or continue plots or simply evade punishment.

On its face the law looks good but simply because of what happened with Maher Arar I'm surprised the government is barking up the deportation tree.
    Last edited by frizzlefry; 09-27-2015 at 01:24 PM.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-02-2020 at 08:43 PM.

Originally posted by FraserB

I'm reasonably sure that it's the courts who hand out convictions for the charges that get you tossed and not an MP.

Either way, do you seriously want this piece of shit in Canada after serving only 6 years? Seriously doubt he'll be "rehabilitated" at that point.
    This is another reason for the controversy and legitimacy of this Bill, the courts no longer decide. All decision making power is in the hands of the Minister, you have 60 days I think to appeal but there is ultimately no due process. Once your citizenship is revoked you are sent into exile, yes exile which is something that was practised in the Middle Ages.

There is no denying that people who support terrorism deserve the worst fate, but this Bill affects so many other Canadians that it is a hot topic.

Originally posted by zooter

There is no denying that people who support terrorism deserve the worst fate, but this Bill affects so many other Canadians that it is a hot topic.
    So often these precedents are set using worst-cases as justification. Once the use of the tools is establish, it's scope of application is broadened.

"you can judge a society by how well it treats its prisoners".
    - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast