Quantcast
Air compressors - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Air compressors

My Ride
    4Runner Trail Edition

Question Air compressors

I'm a complete noob when it comes to air compressors and I was seeing if any experts on here can help.

I'm looking into purchasing a compressor for just basic tasks, changing tires, filling up air in tires etc... I came across two compressors and can't figure out why the one with a smaller capacity would be more expensive than a bigger one.

20 gallon

11 gallon

To me they seem to have the same details, just one has a bigger tank capacity. Also, would these be more than what I need for my tasks?

If anyone can chime in with some knowledge it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 01:10 PM.

My Ride

Oil-less compressors are not really built for the long term. They are noisy, and when they break they are disposable. I'd second Sugarphreak; I only break out my compressor when I have something that needs it (leak down tests, blowing out passages). Otherwise I use my 1/2" cordless impact (which I use often) and 12V compressor.

BTW, I got my oil-less 17 gallon compressor for $85. Looking back, it wasn't a good deal.

If you are dead-set on getting a compressor, get an oil-type that puts out >4 cfm@90 psi (120V) or something like this: https://www.kmstools.com/california-...mpressor-93436. If you are serious, get a 240V compressor that puts out >10 CFM @ 90 psi

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

For general homeowner stuff with occasional car work, I'd look at something like this:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ma...l#.Vgl1epfGpJM

It's not got a huge tank, it's not super powerful, but it's got an oiled compressor and it's cheap. I bought basically the same unit years ago, assuming I'd eventually upgrade to a bigger 240V one. I never bothered, it runs my impact and air wrenches just fine even if it does run more frequently than one with a big tank. I'll probably only upgrade if I get a blasting cabinet.

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

For running an impact reasonably,no little compressor does that.

as said, stick to an electric impact, or get a bigger compressor. I have the 60 gallon sanborn from princess auto. I got it on sale for under 600 i think if i remember. Its done me well for 2 years so far.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Too many people think too hard about the diaphragm vs piston/oil vs oilless compressor.

I've had the same diaphragm compressor for a decade. It still works fine

For your uses, practically any compressor will work. It starts to become more important when you start using air powered tools (at least 5scfm @ 90psi is a typical requirement).

As for the pricing difference, Canadian Tire does this all the time with plenty of their products. The pricing doesn't have to make sense, they just have to convince you to buy it!

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    I would just recommend going with an electric impact wrench from CT, and then a small automotive tank-less air compressor for filling up your tires
    I would assume my little impact driver has enough torque for this? Where would I find adapters for lug nuts?

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride

That's an impact driver. Great for driving in deck or fence screws. You can buy an adapter for it, but they tend to hammer rather than twist. Not really up to the task for lug nuts, but can work with 1/4 and 3/8's stuff (depending on the torque output).

Something like this is what you want for lug nuts:

Last edited by Abeo; 09-28-2015 at 12:48 PM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 01:10 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I have some shitty electric impact driver from crappy tire. I always break the lug nuts when the car is on the ground using a breaker bar, and a do final torque with a torque wrench, so i don't think torque output of the electric tool is really that big of a deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    I have some shitty electric impact driver from crappy tire. I always break the lug nuts when the car is on the ground using a breaker bar, and a do final torque with a torque wrench, so i don't think torque output of the electric tool is really that big of a deal.
    Yea I wouldn't mind if I need to break it before using my little driver... still need to figure out how to get approriate adapters then...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I got in the habit of breaking them first on the ground after I saw a vehicle fall off the jack when being yanked on. Not really the same safety issue with an impact wrench, but I still do it that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

Originally posted by jwslam

Yea I wouldn't mind if I need to break it before using my little driver... still need to figure out how to get approriate adapters then...
    I got mine from Lowes

https://www.lowes.ca/drill-accessori..._g2251786.html

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Thanks!

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^lots of places like Home Depot, princess auto or even crappy tire have those as well. Dewalt are very good ones that last a long while. We've had our Dewalt ones for probably 10 years now, they've outlasted numerous drills, still work perfectly fine.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

I don't think I'll do enough work in this lifetime to break a crappy tire one. Maybe I'll cheap out

My Ride
    '16 GMC HD '94 MKIV SUPRA

I have an air compressor at home, the only thing I use it for now is my air riveter and blowing out the sprinklers in the fall, I use my dewalt cordless imact driver for everything, if its a larger bolt, crack it by hand and zap it off with the dewalt. I can't stand the noise an air compressor makes.

Default Re: Air compressors

Originally posted by Kaos
    To me they seem to have the same details, just one has a bigger tank capacity.
    Originally posted by Canadian Tire
    These products 1995704 and 0588386 both have the same motor. This item# 1995704 is cheaper because it is a limited time promotion with limited quantities available! We may not be able to issue rainchecks for this special promotion.
    So yes, they are identical except for the tank size.

As others have stated, give some serious thought to what you want a compressor to do before you invest the time, money, and space in one. Many times, hand tools are more than adequate, and for those occasional larger jobs (framing, shingling, laying hardwood floor, etc), rent a compressor at the same time you rent specialty tools and you'll be money ahead.

I have an air compressor and air tools but they've pretty much been replaced by my Milwaukee Fuel impact. The one I have has 700 ft-lb of torque. Having no cord or hose hanging behind you is awesome.

http://www.jccayer.com/Milwaukee-276...ol-Only/p/7910

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

Originally posted by hedge
    I have an air compressor and air tools but they've pretty much been replaced by my Milwaukee Fuel impact. The one I have has 700 ft-lb of torque. Having no cord or hose hanging behind you is awesome.

http://www.jccayer.com/Milwaukee-276...ol-Only/p/7910
    I've been curious about those. I wonder if the Bosch is any good? I've got a couple Bosch tools and battery packs already and it's nice to keep things interchangeable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast