Quantcast
Nexus 5X and 6P - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Nexus 5X and 6P

The inSkin ones are good, I have one on my GS6 and one coming for the 6P as well. Also ordered a Spigen PET film one in case I don't like the coverage of the inSkin. Only thing is the glass screen protectors usually don't go quite as close to the edge of the screen as the PET film ones, if you care about that.

My Ride
    Has four wheels

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    The inSkin ones are good, I have one on my GS6 and one coming for the 6P as well. Also ordered a Spigen PET film one in case I don't like the coverage of the inSkin. Only thing is the glass screen protectors usually don't go quite as close to the edge of the screen as the PET film ones, if you care about that.
    That is the one issue with them, especially on phones that have a curve in the shape. The glass has to be basically flat, otherwise it can create giant air bubbles later. So in some cases, the glass may not go all the way to the edge. But the difference is usually like 0.2mm, not enough to bother me. And I usually buy a case for all my phones, so that gap is pretty hidden, if its there at all. But the benefits of the glass over PET far outweighs this small disadvantage.

I haven't dropped my S5 yet, but I've read reviews of the Inskin where people dropped their phones (face down), and while the Inskin shattered, their actual screen glass didn't even have a scratch. Combine the cheap insurance policy with the OEM glass feeling (vs the PET film), and its a no-brainer in my book.

I find that the glass ones from Inskin are easier to install than the PET film protectors too. But I always take it really slow and careful.

I bought Inskin protectors for all my family's phones...we all have varying models; iPhone 6, GS5, GS6, and N5. They all fit great and weren't difficult to install.

Inskin's service is second to none though. Aside from the free replacement they gave me for the protector that broke while I was applying it, this summer I was playing beach volleyball with some friends. During the game, I got a phone call, and I stepped to the side to answer it, and a guy next to me yelled to the other team not to serve the ball. The person serving the ball didn't hear, and obviously, the ball came straight at me, and hit me in the head.

My S5 fell out of my hand and fell into the sand...since the S5 is dust/water proof, the phone wasn't damaged, and no sand got inside it. But some particles got into the crevice around the outside of the bezel. Purely cosmetic, but it annoyed me. The next day, I was trying to pick it out, and I accidentally dislodged the screen protector. I eventually got all the dust off the screen and re-applied it, but the corner of the protector got slightly bent, so it doesn't stick in that corner anymore, creating a permanent air bubble.

I didn't want to pay another $12 for a new protector, but I hated how my phone looked. I emailed Inskin explaining the situation, asking if there was anything they could do. They gave me 50% off a new one, which I ordered right away. Its sitting in my desk for now...the air bubble has grown slightly since then, but when it annoys me enough, or if it gets bigger, I'll put the new one on.

Long boring stories aside, I can't say enough about Inskin's service...they really stand behind their product.
    Last edited by Stealth22; 11-18-2015 at 11:14 AM.

^ Yup, the GS6 has a curved screen toward the edges, (yes, even the non-edge version), so the glass screen protector leaves about a 1/4" space all the way around the edges unprotected. Curious to see how it is for the 6P, but if it leaves too much space I'm going back to PET film.

I also much prefer screen protectors that completely surround the various features (camera, ear piece, speakers, etc.) rather than have U-shaped cutouts for them. The glass ones usually have the U-shaped cutouts, the PET film almost always has fully encased cutouts.

I've got pretty good at installing them, but usually there are still some micro-bubbles underneath that go away in a day or two, and then you're left with a flawless install. The key is knowing when it's dust or just a micro bubble. Also, install them in your bathroom with a hot shower running to kill the dust. Wash your hands with dish soap to get rid of any oil, and keep a can of compressed air handy (I've never in my life come across a truly 100% lint free cloth, there will be lint). Peel off about 1/3 of the backing, and slowly roll the protector on, to minimize dust exposure to the side with the silicone adhesive. If you get some dust, use the sticky tab from the discarded layer (or some other strong tape) to lift up the protector (do not pick it off with your fingernail), and then use Scotch tape to remove the dust particle. They are pretty resilient provided you don't take the whole thing off and try to start over.

Inskin's service is indeed excellent. They reply to my emails even at 9pm in good time, and they actually send clear, well written responses which can't be said for many of these companies (usually I get a reply at 3AM from someone who has no idea what I'm talking about in broken English). They sent me a free replacement one time before I realized that the micro-bubbles I was complaining about actually disappeared (I thought it was a defect at the time). Top notch. I think they are a Canadian company as well.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-18-2015 at 11:43 AM.

My Ride
    Has four wheels

^ They are. They ship from somewhere in Ontario, I forget exactly where.

I went from the S5 to the 6P. You won't regret it at all.

Originally posted by Stealth22

As far as issues go with the S5, there aren't really any. I mean, the phone works.

I had lag issues with Lollipop 5.0 that really made me hate TouchWiz, and wanting the stock Android experience back. Plus Samsung is really slow with updates.

But after the 5.1.1 update which released a few weeks ago (finally), the lag issues are gone. Doing a factory reset on 5.0 fixed it for a day or two (wiping the cache didn't do much at all) until I started noticing it again, but after 5.1.1, no issues at all.

The 6P has a 12MP camera compared to the S5's 16MP, but the 6P has a larger pixel size, and a superior front camera. No optical image stabilization, but I don't know how much that matters.

The only other thing is, the 6P, although it uses USB type C, only supports USB 2.0 speeds, whereas the S5 supports USB 3.0. The 6P doesn't have an IR blaster, but I don't use it on the S5 all that often.

When the 6P first came out, 3 of my coworkers ordered it, but I told myself that I can just wait a year for the next one. But then, I won't get as much for the S5 when I go to sell it, thats the reason I'm thinking about upgrading now.

So yeah, I'm kind of conflicted, lol.

For those who have the Nexus 6p, does your device get hot while watching youtube videos?

Originally posted by Diesel2005
    For those who have the Nexus 6p, does your device get hot while watching youtube videos?
    Hot? Not at all. Slightly warmer than usual maybe if I really look for it after an extended period video, but it runs very cool in general. All the metal probably helps to dissipate any heat as well.

If it's actually getting hot, that's not normal - just RMA it if you think it's defective. Google's warranty is the best.

I also got my Inskin protector for the 6P the other day - outstanding. Maybe half a milimter of screen not covered, that's it. Super easy to get a perfect install, and it has all the proper sensor cutouts. it also completely surrounds both speakers.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-21-2015 at 12:40 PM.

My Ride
    Has four wheels

You guys tempted me. My order for the 6P is in!

Hot? Not at all. Slightly warmer than usual maybe if I really look for it after an extended period video, but it runs very cool in general. All the metal probably helps to dissipate any heat as well.

If it's actually getting hot, that's not normal - just RMA it if you think it's defective. Google's warranty is the best.

I also got my Inskin protector for the 6P the other day - outstanding. Maybe half a milimter of screen not covered, that's it. Super easy to get a perfect install, and it has all the proper sensor cutouts. it also completely surrounds both speakers.
    Installed a dBrand Carbon Fiber over the weekend on my 6P. Made it MUCH easier to hold. The fit is absolutely superb too!

I went with the adopted case. I like it but it keeps the heat in when using it so it gets warm.

Originally posted by spike98

Installed a dBrand Carbon Fiber over the weekend on my 6P. Made it MUCH easier to hold. The fit is absolutely superb too!
    Nice! Yeah I do really like their skins, and I loved the one on my N4, I just can't give up the drop protection haha. The case I'm using now is also super grippy, probably similar to the skins. Definitely adds a little bulk though.

If you still need a screen protector the Inskin glass one is 10/10.

My Ride
    Has four wheels

^ I bought the Spigen off Amazon.

Inskin appears to be out of stock though, I can't find their 6P listing anymore. Should have decided quicker.

^ I bought the Spigen off Amazon.

Inskin appears to be out of stock though, I can't find their 6P listing anymore. Should have decided quicker.
    If you contact Inskin they will ship you one for free - takes about 5 business days, so if you're in a hurry it may not be ideal for you. Amazon won't have "Prime" stock for a little while yet they said. They just recently received them from their supplier and haven't shipped any large quantities to Amazon yet.

Nice! Yeah I do really like their skins, and I loved the one on my N4, I just can't give up the drop protection haha. The case I'm using now is also super grippy, probably similar to the skins. Definitely adds a little bulk though.

If you still need a screen protector the Inskin glass one is 10/10.
    I had one of their glass protectors on my Z3. Very nice. I love glass protectors.

I am going just skinned on the back of the 6P though. That device care has me not worrying about dropping it.

My Ride
    Bicycle

BTW, 6P is a $0 phone this weekend with Rogers + a 2 year plan @ Best Buy.

You also get $50 gift card.

My Ride
    Has four wheels

If you contact Inskin they will ship you one for free - takes about 5 business days, so if you're in a hurry it may not be ideal for you. Amazon won't have "Prime" stock for a little while yet they said. They just recently received them from their supplier and haven't shipped any large quantities to Amazon yet.
    I'm still waiting for the phone anyway. I e-mailed them this morning via Amazon just to ask them about the stock, but I haven't heard back yet.

Thanks for the tip, though.

I'm still waiting for the phone anyway. I e-mailed them this morning via Amazon just to ask them about the stock, but I haven't heard back yet.

Thanks for the tip, though.
    I just checked my correspondence, and it looks like Amazon is hiding their email address, or I would give it to you. Whatever one I've been using, they literally reply back between 10-15 min, even at 9pm. They have a phone number on their website (not through Amazon) as well maybe you could try

My Ride
    Has four wheels

I just checked my correspondence, and it looks like Amazon is hiding their email address, or I would give it to you. Whatever one I've been using, they literally reply back between 10-15 min, even at 9pm. They have a phone number on their website (not through Amazon) as well maybe you could try
    I got a reply, but they didn't mention anything about a free shipment. They just said that more stock will be available at the end of the week.

My Ride
    Macan GTS

Originally posted by Xtrema
    BTW, 6P is a $0 phone this weekend with Rogers + a 2 year plan @ Best Buy.

You also get $50 gift card.
    New activations only, I believe.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by kJUMP

New activations only, I believe.
    Yes.

Works out to be $30/month subsidy. Pretty good if you can get it on $70/month plans.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast