Quantcast
Custom suit in HK or Bangkok? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Custom suit in HK or Bangkok?

My Ride
    rally pig

Default Custom suit in HK or Bangkok?

Does anyone have any experience and recommendation on getting a custom suit made in Hong Kong or Bangkok?

Will be back-packing Asia next March (HK-Thailand-SG-Japan) and for fun and couple of hundred bucks, figured it might be cool to have a custom suit made.
    Maybe I can wear it at my sisters wedding next September

We will be in Hong Kong for 2 nights with really only 1 full day to get things done since we are arriving in HK 7pm on the first day and flying to Thailand at 10am on the 3rd day.
    Is 24 hours going to be enough for a suit? I have a nice dress shirt already, so I only need trousers and jacket.

Otherwise we will be in Bangkok for 3 nights but I don't think Bangkok has the tailoring skills as some of the older generation HK shops other than being cheaper.
    Last edited by taemo; 09-29-2015 at 10:36 AM.

bangkok,

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction...s-Bangkok.html

Hong Kong, is getting expensive. 24 hours is pushing it and will be cheap.

My Ride
    TSX

Originally posted by GQBalla
    bangkok,

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction...s-Bangkok.html

Hong Kong, is getting expensive. 24 hours is pushing it and will be cheap.
    Do you know how much it is approximately to get a custom made suit there?

My Ride
    M3P

I got custom suits made in Koh Samui Thailand.

Took about 3 days and had 3 fittings and measures to ensure everything was done properly.

Don't think you'll be getting a properly fitting suit within 24 hours and you'll likely pay a premium too.

If you end up getting something post your experience.

Best of luck.

Originally posted by Speed_69

Do you know how much it is approximately to get a custom made suit there?
    You can always negotiate, i think without bargaining it was 500 ish when i went in november for a mediocre (not premium fabric) suit.

Stay away from the MBK mall suit stores Earl.

Cheap suits, but the stitching looked weak

Do it at Peter Parvez and save yourself the hassle while on vacation.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/peter-parvez-custom-made

Great price and they have good stuff. Being local they'll offer convenient service if there's any adjustments to be made. PM me if you'd like a referral.

My Ride
    06 WRX

Originally posted by Manhattan

Great price and they have good stuff. Being local they'll offer convenient service if there's any adjustments to be made. PM me if you'd like a referral.
    Unless this is massively different from the other tailors manufacturing suits overseas you'll sacrifice either on quality or price compared to buying overseas. I've bought in Bangkok, from the same Thai shop when they travel here (about twice the price), from Maxwell traveling tailors, Umberto's and have dealt with Indichino and EPH Apparel.

The best value suits I've owned have been from Crown Tailor in Bangkok. They're a few stops away from all the big malls on the train, and unlike 99% of the tailors there you won't find a person on the street there trying to wrangle random people in. They're not ridiculously cheap, if that's the goal, but the ridiculously cheap ones advertising sub-$100 suits are obviously not delivering quality suits. My wedding suit, which was their 2nd tier quality was around $250-300 USD (unfortunately our dollar sucks more). Best fitting suit I've owned.
    http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction...r-Bangkok.html

3 days will be a pretty tight turnaround for the reputable shops though. I went in for the initial appointment and 2 subsequent fittings, which would chew up a lot of your time in Bangkok.

My Ride
    rally pig

Thanks all, I'll give those 2 Bangkok tailors a try as 24 hours might be pushing it for a suit in HK.

For me it's just part of the experience of getting it done there since both places are known for 'good' cheap suits, if it's bad then I'll go to Peter Parvez or even Harry Rosen for a suit

can i have the suits shipped from Bangkok to Calgary as I don't really want to be backpacking with a suit
    Last edited by taemo; 09-29-2015 at 04:41 PM.

Anyone have any recommendations for HK? Im going for a week in December there.

My Ride
    Integra Type R

Originally posted by taemo
    Thanks all, I'll give those 2 Bangkok tailors a try as 24 hours might be pushing it for a suit in HK.

For me it's just part of the experience of getting it done there since both places are known for 'good' cheap suits, if it's bad then I'll go to Peter Parvez or even Harry Rosen for a suit

can i have the suits shipped from Bangkok to Calgary as I don't really want to be backpacking with a suit
    it cost me like $120 to get my suits shipped
    wh...?

pretty good deal actually. If i use you as a referral, is it cheaper then groupon?

Does the Groupon Deal include shipping?

^

They'll give you the same deal as the groupon and I think throw in an extra dress shirt for free (they're having a slow year). The tailor has an office in Bankers Hall so you'd get measured and pick up in person.

My Ride
    rally pig

^

They'll give you the same deal as the groupon and I think throw in an extra dress shirt for free (they're having a slow year). The tailor has an office in Bankers Hall so you'd get measured and pick up in person.
    thats not bad at all, if I dont end up getting a suit in Asia, i might stop by there next year

Originally posted by taemo

thats not bad at all, if I dont end up getting a suit in Asia, i might stop by there next year
    its almost the same price. So it is a good option.

Asia might have better fabric though

^

Do you have a suit made from them? Or just shirts?

How would you rate the quality of the suits?

EDIT:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/peter...9-a-1203717/3/

Although most of these reviews are based from Toronto & area.
    Last edited by nykz; 09-30-2015 at 04:14 PM.

^

All my current dress shirts are from them and they're great. I will most likely go there for my next suit as well. Regarding the reviews - they're mostly negative in the Toronto area but Calgary is mostly positive if you look around on various sites.

My Ride
    WRX LTD / Civic Si /RAV4

I have suits and shirts from both HK and Thailand.

When in HK my family typically buys from EMPIRE Tailor in TST, and have been going there for the last 10-15 years, overall the service is decent and quality is good. Always throws me off hearing an indian guys speak perfect cantonese.

But depending on the time you go, the selection of fabric can vary. We typically get our shirts from $35cdn - $55 each depending on fabric, buying 3-5 shirts at a time. Suits were from $350 plain thin black suit for summer -> $700 for a cashmere blend wool being the higher end. They typically take 5 days with 2 fittings in between. The signed prices in the store are always higher, typically for the tourists walk-ups. Can give you names if you want referrals.

Was in Thailand in 2010 and went to JAMES Fashion, buddy and I were travelling and we had a Tuk-Tuk driver take us there. My buddy wanted to get a couple suits and shirts, so I tagged along. After haggling a bit with the sales guy, and telling him I usually get stuff in HK he gave us both a deal to get the business.

$500cdn got me 2 suits (mid-level quality) , and 5 dress shirts (basic quality)
    $700cdn got my buddy 3 suits and 7 shirts (same mid and basic quality as mine)

Now here is where i'll give them some credit, we told them we were leaving in 3 days and they agreed they would get it done. We did not want to travel back and forth for the second fitting, so they agreed they would come to our hotel! So initial measurements were done at the store, and later that night they showed up to the hotel for a fitting check. Two guys came, i assume one was the tailor, and the other the scooter driver. Next day in the evening they showed up again with the finished product, mine fit as I liked it. My buddies pants still needed some touch up, so off they went with his pant, and were delivered the next morning to the front desk.

Fast forward to today, the suits from both shops are still intact and I wear them as needed. As for the dress shirts, you get what you pay for, the cheaper shirts are pilling and faded now in color, couple buttons here and there have come apart. But to have a custom shirt fitted and monogrammed is very much worth while.

HAve fun !
    --For SALE or Trade--

iPhones
    Maui Jim Sunglasses

My Ride
    Changes everyday...

I got 2 custom suits tailored in Bangkok, went to the market. And there are so many tailors its crazy. I got 2 suits with shirts made for about $150.00 each. Did fitting twice, delivered suits to our hotel as promised.