Quantcast
House closing Documents - lawyer Timeline - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: House closing Documents - lawyer Timeline

Default House closing Documents - lawyer Timeline

Have anybody used the builders lawyer for the house? Do you know how long is it normally take for the Lawyers office to comeback with the closing and registering the documents ?

It can take a few months for any lawyer.

My Ride
    335i

Right now, the land titles office is backed up about 2 weeks. Add courier delivery times and I'd estimate 20 days after closing to get your documents to be reasonable.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Corvette

2 months later and haven't got mine...

2 months and you don't have your closing documents from your lawyer? Lol.

As for land titles you can actually search online to see how backed up they are. I agree with the other poster that 20 days is all a lawyer needs to transfer everything including the title. They can do it sooner if needed but a bit of the process is dependant on the city.

Vkesava1- you bought from a builder so why aren't you inquiring with the builders sales rep? Or the builder? Or your lawyer. This is something any of those 3 would be best to answer for you.
    Last edited by gwill; 09-30-2015 at 10:31 PM.

My Ride
    Has 5 wheels.

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    Right now, the land titles office is backed up about 2 weeks. Add courier delivery times and I'd estimate 20 days after closing to get your documents to be reasonable.
    Sounds about right from my recent experience. Mine was I think a bit longer(maybe 24 days), but that was delays on my end.

My Ride
    E90, FD, STI

Originally posted by gwill
    2 months and you don't have your closing documents from your lawyer? Lol.

As for land titles you can actually search online to see how backed up they are. I agree with the other poster that 20 days is all a lawyer needs to transfer everything including the title. They can do it sooner if needed but a bit of the process is dependant on the city.

Vkesava1- you bought from a builder so why aren't you inquiring with the builders sales rep? Or the builder? Or your lawyer. This is something any of those 3 would be best to answer for you.
    Lol at your lol. I've been through this process 3 times in the last 12 months and your statement doesn't hold water.

Your lawyer can’t do anything quickly if the developer’s or builder’s lawyer is dropping the ball. If it is a new condo I’d say 2 months is more the average because builders like to keep the building paying tax as if it was still an empty lot as long as possible. Around here it's pretty much guaranteed there will be delays on the builder's end. I had one last year that took close to 4 months (and that was about a month longer then my lawyer had ever seen in his life) because the builder and developer didn’t give a shit about lifting a developer caveat no bank in their right mind would sign off on (they had written in the land reverted to the developer in case of a problem with the building O_o), and then it took forever to get the right lawyer (of the developer’s lawyer's office) to sign off on it.

Even my new house this year took probably 1.5+ months to get paperwork in my hands.

If it’s a used home, then yes, it 'should' be relatively quick.
    Last edited by Zhao Kan; 10-01-2015 at 09:03 AM.

The op bought a house if I remember all his old posts so he won't be in a tenancy at will situation where the title can't be transferred. I had a friend who was in that situation for 8-10 months before he was finally able to get everything transferred over.

It's not typical for a builder to take 4 months. Perhaps your builder was annoyed at that super low ball offer you got and didn't give your file the attention it needed. Shit happens but taking months isn't normal.

I changed some items on title last September and it took until January to receive the documents.

My Ride
    E90, FD, STI

The op bought a house if I remember all his old posts so he won't be in a tenancy at will situation where the title can't be transferred. I had a friend who was in that situation for 8-10 months before he was finally able to get everything transferred over.

It's not typical for a builder to take 4 months. Perhaps your builder was annoyed at that super low ball offer you got and didn't give your file the attention it needed. Shit happens but taking months isn't normal.
    Actually we paid pre-construction asking price (which was a smoking deal and in hind sight I wished I bought 1-2 more) on the condo that took 3-4 months for paperwork, and the whole building was in that boat. The whole building is always in that boat; a developer’s lawyer doesn’t hold things up because you low balled the builder either, and if a caveat on the building applies to one unit, it applies to them all. 3-4 months is very rare, like I said, but it can happen for reasons outside of your lawyer’s control.

You were implying if there is a delay of over 20 days then it’s your lawyers fault, which is bad info and why I posted my examples to the contrary. There is no point arguing that. OP is buying new construction, so my experience says 20 days is a pipe dream for getting paperwork in your hands. My lawyer said on a condo you’re pretty much guaranteed to have significant days with the paperwork on the builder’s end that always pushes it over a month.

There's a massive difference between a condo and a house. Glad you don't see that.

My Ride
    Corvette

Just to add in my 2 month example; it's a house and not a condo.

My Ride
    E90, FD, STI

There's a massive difference between a condo and a house. Glad you don't see that.
    Nice strawman. I’ll never figure out why some people can’t read 200 words without getting so muddled in the brain that they can’t comprehend or retain half of what the person wrote, even when it is staring them in the face while they write their comment.

Originally posted by Zhao Kan

I've been through this process 3 times in the last 12 months and your statement doesn't hold water.

If it is a new condo I’d say 2 months is more the average

Even my new house this year took probably 1.5+ months to get paperwork in my hands.

If it’s a used home, then yes, it 'should' be relatively quick.
    The Land Titles office can take days or it can take a few weeks just by themselves. Add in the time the lawyers will need to do their thing prior and the time it takes for snail mail to get to you after, and I don’t see it happening faster than 2 weeks. Your 20 day/3 week scenario is not a realistic cap for how long it should take on the high end, especially once you start factoring in things like the 2 week dead zone in December, or snafu’s with paperwork on the builder/developer’s end, on top of the land titles office alone potentially taking a few weeks just for their own part. If the point you start raging at is 20 days, you’d be raging a lot IMO unless you always buy your house in a slow period. Like I said, even with no snafu’s on the builder's end, my house still took roughly 1.5 months for paperwork to be in my hands. That was a new house. No, it wasn’t a condo. lol

I've only purchased 2 other properties in the last year and dealt with 200+ closings in 5 years. I probably know nothing about what I'm talking about. In the end It's not typical for your paperwork to take months to get to you after closing. Who cares about the leg work they do before closing.

If it does take longer it shouldn't matter as long as your lawyer is discussing the process with you. It seems the op hasn't bothered to discuss this with the people involved in his transaction.. he should have started there not here.

My Ride
    E90, FD, STI

If it does take longer it shouldn't matter as long as your lawyer is discussing the process with you. It seems the op hasn't bothered to discuss this with the people involved in his transaction.. he should have started there not here.
    And that is where we agree 100%. Unless he's flipping for profit, who cares, and if he is, it’s just fact of doing business so who cares. If he’s getting upset about that buying and selling is not for him.

And yes, OP’s lawyer’s office really could of answered this in a few minutes. No one but the lawyer’s office knows if the holdup is legit or BS cuz someone is dragging their ass.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Last edited by codetrap; 01-01-2017 at 01:44 PM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."