Quantcast
Oregon shooting, 10 reported killed so far - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Oregon shooting, 10 reported killed so far

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Last edited by codetrap; 01-01-2017 at 10:48 AM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by codetrap
    relyt92, didn't you have a range marshal standing behind you the entire time? I know with our group we did. We were under strict instruction/observation the entire time.
    This just illustrates why access is a much less factor to mass shootings than a building full of legally disarmed individuals open to attack.

Access is easy, but access means nothing when armed individuals are around ready to act. That's why shooters don't go to the range to try and take down a bunch of people, they go to a school where no one has guns.

The range is so secure they say fuck it, here's a loaded gun, try something.
    A school is so open to attack they ban guns hoping criminals will obey the law.

I don't know the solution, but access to guns is not the key problem here.
    Last edited by Modelexis; 10-03-2015 at 09:58 PM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by codetrap
    relyt92, didn't you have a range marshal standing behind you the entire time? I know with our group we did. We were under strict instruction/observation the entire time.
    Yeah, he was standing there watching/talking to my girlfriend. If I was a crazy person he wouldn't have been able to react fast enough to do anything though. Access to the gun is super easy, it's what you do with it from there that becomes the issue.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

The Campus was not a gun-free zone, as many students were armed, and did nothing to stop this.

http://www.oregonlive.com/education/...ege_not_a.html

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...cant-ban-guns/

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

You are at a range, with what 10 people max there, you could potentially kill 2-3 before you get dealt with, how is this even a comparison? It's a gun range, of course you can access guns at a range, can you access fully automatic assault rifles at Walmart here?

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Maybe this sort of thing happens because someone felt enough hate for a certain group of people to kill a bunch of them. Maybe that hate was fostered by growing up in a society that thrives on divisiveness within an imposed melting pot.

We blame guns while Trump leads in the polls.

Stricter gun laws won't help much. The USA is simply fucked up.

My Ride
    Trucks

The average shooting deaths in the US are 22 / day, so while media loves making money off mass murders they hardly represent how truly messed up that country is.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by theken
    You are at a range, with what 10 people max there, you could potentially kill 2-3 before you get dealt with, how is this even a comparison? It's a gun range, of course you can access guns at a range, can you access fully automatic assault rifles at Walmart here?
    Where can you buy a FA at Walmart?

And what range has 10 people max? I assume you're speaking about one shooting bay and not the entire range?

Seriously, most of the people spouting off in this thread have such a lack of understanding of what they are posting its ridiculous.
    Last edited by FraserB; 10-05-2015 at 10:22 AM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 06:53 PM.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    "The vast majority of people with mental disorders do not engage in violence."

"Fewer than 5% of the 120,000 gun related killings were perpetrated by people diagnosed with mental illness."

Seems like it might not be a mental health issue after all.
    No one is saying that people with mental health issues are generally violent, the fact is that if a mentally ill person does become violent they tend to think up pretty sub human ways of inflicting pain on others.

The real statistic would be what percentage of school shootings and theater shootings and execution of news reporters do the murderers have mental health issues, have been recently treated for mental health issues, and are currently or previously taken SSRI drugs or other mental health related drugs.

That's like talking about drinking and driving and quoting all car accidents as a whole, so pointless and it's not what people are talking about.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
    The Campus was not a gun-free zone, as many students were armed, and did nothing to stop this.
    It seems you're correct about the possibility of someone in the school carrying a gun, but I think it's a stretch to say 'many' students were armed. The link you posted said the person with the gun was not a student and was several buildings away.

Did anyone in the building with the active shooter have a gun?
    That's the point, he knew his odds were good compared to something like a gun range.

My Ride

Originally posted by FraserB

Where can you buy a FA at Walmart?

And what range has 10 people max? I assume you're speaking about one shooting bay and not the entire range?

Seriously, most of the people spouting off in this thread have such a lack of understanding of what they are posting its ridiculous.
    last time I was at the range in Vegas there was 3-4 employees and maybe 5 other shooters. Shooters edge last time I was there was about 2 shooters other than myself. And full autos I'm talking in the states. I was at a sport store in ND where they sold silencers, and full auto assault rifles. I am aware in Canada you can not.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I was at a sport store in ND where they sold full auto assault rifles. I am aware in Canada you can not.
    Then you should be made aware that you are mistaken in that matter. You can not just buy a fully automatic assault rifle in any walmart in any state in the united states. You probably wouldn't know an automatic weapon if you saw one.

Definitely do some research on the matter because buying an automatic weapon in the US is extremely difficult and expensive. Like 10's of thousands of dollars expensive. For reasons that are very obvious if you did some research on the matter.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride

How would you assume I wouldn't know a full auto if I saw one? Quite the assumption based on a generalized statement. Sorry Walmart might not be the best term, but it may as well be, Williston sporting goods, still a walk in environment. I don't even know what point you are trying to make? Do you have one or are you just venting your bullshit on a forum

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

How would you assume I wouldn't know a full auto if I saw one? Quite the assumption based on a generalized statement. Sorry Walmart might not be the best term, but it may as well be, Williston sporting goods, still a walk in environment. I don't even know what point you are trying to make? Do you have one or are you just venting your bullshit on a forum
    The point is that people love to say you an easily acquire an assault rifle in the US when it's not even close to the truth. Not counting the tens of thousands required to buy a FA; there are the background checks, fingerprinting, local LE signoff, application forms and fees.

Then there is the fact that the only FA firearms able to be owned by anyone are the ones that were registered prior to May 1986 under the 1934 NFA. If the FA in question was imported between 1934 and 1986, only dealers may acquire and keep them. If a FA was manufactured after 1986, then LE, government or military may possess them. If a LE agency provides a demonstration letter to a dealer, they may acquire one, but it must be sold or destroyed once the dealer license is not renewed.

The rules for SBRs (rifles with a barrel length under 16" or an OAL less than 26") are similar, but don't have the date restrictions that FAs do.

So yes, the dealer might have had one in the store, but your chances of actually obtaining it are basically zero.

To give you an idea of prices, an AR-15 can run about $17k, and Uzi would be around $12k. ATF numbers put the number of FA firearms in the US at about 180,000

The suppressor (not silencer) debate is a whole other can of worms. But it basically boils down to the government banning a piece of safety equipment based on movies and the perceived properties of the device.
    Last edited by FraserB; 10-08-2015 at 07:01 AM.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Last edited by codetrap; 01-01-2017 at 01:42 PM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Neither a semi-automatic AR-15 sporting rifle or your Savage .243 bolt action are FA firearms or assault rifles or a machine gun, so there is no reason why the NFA requirements would apply, which is what Ken brought up. When you are talking about an NFA firearm or a machine gun as defined by the BATF, the regulations I posted are correct.

Furthermore, I can purchase the same Savage here in Canada in exactly the same manner. Cash on the table, no names exchanged or recorded.

When you speak about "high capacity mags" I assume it is referring to magazines that are larger than the standard 30 round capacity?

People don't want to accept that semi-auto is semi-auto, regardless of what the gun looks like; adding a pistol grip and a barrel shroud doesn't change how the gun works. This is probably one of the biggest hurdles in the US since classifying something as an assault weapon is now based on looks and not functionality. The same issue is present in Canadian laws as well, but with classifications based on name.
    Last edited by FraserB; 10-08-2015 at 08:09 AM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

can you access fully automatic assault rifles at Walmart here?
    When you were the one who made the idiotic erroneous statement implying you could buy automatic weapons at Walmart. So yea i get to assume you are a fucking idiot. Not sure how Walmart is a "term", Walmart is a pretty specific description of a certain store. One which does not sell the items you said they did.

As Fraser mentioned just because something exists in a private business does not mean its for sale. The "fully automatic" you "saw" was about as for sale as if i walked into a police station and saw a patrol carbine in the hands of an officer.

I tell you you wrong on a topic and you ask me what my point is? My point is stop spreading misinformation on a topic you clearly do not understand to try and justify your point.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Another university campus shooting in the states. 1 Dead and 3 wounded.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/norther...nded-1.3264096

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5