Quantcast
What's the legality on running a scam on a scammer? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: What's the legality on running a scam on a scammer?

Default What's the legality on running a scam on a scammer?

As an example, when one of those "Microsoft Technicians" calls you saying you have a virus and you somehow manage to get access to his computer instead.

So, if I was to start wiping all his data, or looking at his personal information, could I be charged?

Or for that matter, what if I setup fake profiles of users most vulnerable to being targeted by scammers? Then I phish the scammer until I get access to his personal information...

It would be nice to use their own tactics against them...

Law tends to see it as breaking and entering.

If he breaks down a door and steps one foot into your house then he can be charged. If you then immediately break down a door an enter his house as retaliation, you will be charged.

So in effect, you both go to jail. There would probably be no leniency for being broken into first.

On a side note: It is possible for random internet people to know that you have a virus. If you computer is infected with a worm bot that is trying to replicate at the very least your ISP would know. They may definitely try to contact you to tell you to install some antivirus or do a clean install, but would not charge a dollar amount.

Server admins have to deal with it all the time, do I contact the person at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx IP if I have their phone or email because their computer is sending out an automated bot worm - or are they just going to get angry at me? Its human nature to always blame the messenger.

Unless it affects bandwidth, many ISP's will not bother to contact a known infected host if they think it will upset the owner.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 10-01-2015 at 08:53 PM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

Default Re: What's the legality on running a scam on a scammer?

Originally posted by Czar
    As an example, when one of those "Microsoft Technicians" calls you saying you have a virus and you somehow manage to get access to his computer instead.

So, if I was to start wiping all his data, or looking at his personal information, could I be charged?

Or for that matter, what if I setup fake profiles of users most vulnerable to being targeted by scammers? Then I phish the scammer until I get access to his personal information...

It would be nice to use their own tactics against them...
    Law aside, it wouldl be bullying. You're coming from a position of privilege and knowledge and looking to punish someone who has none of the first and little of the latter because they have inconvenienced you.

If that works for you, get to it.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Yes you can be charged - but its highly unlikely that the government of India would launch an international criminal case against you.

Heres side note about these useless "Microsoft Tech" calls - some of then actually (technically) DO some work, like install free programs on your PC, empty your recycle bin..... which is how they can get away with billing it as a "service call". (now some also steal your CC but thats another issue)

There is so much in unwritten rules on this its not even funny.

Like an email administrator, is it his job to ensure that all malicious emails are deleted before given to someone? Does an email administrator ever have the right to delete any email? Does an email administrator even have the right to look at or scan an email going through their server?

Should an ISP always tell a user that they have cause to think they are infected with a virus? Should they do anything more than suggest downloading a free set, or one that may have been specifically designed by that ISP? What if the ISP knows that there is no free utility that can get rid of it?

What would a smart ISP do? He might just pretend to be Kumar and he has "detected a virus" on your system, and he will charge $1,000 per hour to get rid of it (which no one will ever pay of course). Then at least, you will be thinking about it, and hopefully the ISP will get you to get rid of the virus yourself.

Or, I could just be shooting hot air out of my ass
    Last edited by ZenOps; 10-01-2015 at 09:54 PM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Attacking their systems would technically be illegal. And wouldn't be effective as a lesson. It's not their personal computer most likely.

Scambaiting on the other hand...like the guys who got Nigerian scammers to waste time handwriting out Harry Potter or got those guys to re-enact the Monty Python dead parrot sketch. It's on YouTube. It's hilarious.

My Ride
    EG6

I say fuck'em wipe their system clean! Don't take any info.
    If you get angry at my post please re-read as a joke or sarcasm.

Have a look through here if you want some ideas of how to mess with scammers. These guys have been at it a long time

http://www.419eater.com/

How about this scenario:

I have a wanted ad setup somewhere. The scammer says he has it, and wants me to EMT money to him. I setup a phishing site and get his banking info..

My Ride
    Pushbroom

If I was in that position, I would get their info, but instead of using it for malicious purposes I would just scare the scammer with it. Maybe the threat of his personal info out there is enough to turn him off of scamming? Or am I being too optimistic?

My Ride
    1290SDR, 701SM

Please record all actions and post to YouTube so we can all enjoy.