Quantcast
Are Seiko watches any good? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are Seiko watches any good?

My Ride
    RSX-S

Default Are Seiko watches any good?

Just got back from Japan and there were so many amazing Seiko watches that I've never seen before here in Canada or North America for that matter. One specific one i found that caught my eyes at the Seiko outlet shop was this: http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/s.../item/saeh005/

It was outlet price at $180, 000 yen plus 5% off, so around $171,000 (~$2k Cad). I was close to pulling the trigger to get something for my personal Japan present but I'm not that knowledgeable about watches so i held off on the purchase. Now i'm really regretting not getting it after find it outs ~3k Cad. Good news however is my Sister is heading over next week so i still have the chance to pick it up. Just want to get the communities opinion on the watch, branding isn't overly important to me as i already have a Rolex and Omega.

one other that caught my eyes was a newer model from Bic Camera, http://www.seiyajapan.com/products/s...resage-sarw011

Should i just get the cheap one and call it a day or get the more expensive as it looks cooler?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Short answer to your question, yes. I'd rank Seiko up there with the mid level Swiss brands. TAG, Omega, Breitling, etc. Not as much respect as the Swiss brands, but their Ananta line easily rivals them in build quality.

The watch you're looking at is powered by the 6S28 movement, which is similar to the 6S37 (the 37 has power reserve indicator). The 37 is famous for its design being sold to TAG Heuer, who modified it for easier production and renamed it the 1887, which is their current workhorse in house movement.

With that being said, the 37 was never available in US or Canada, and I'm not sure if the 28 is either. It also doesn't help that very few shops carry high end Seikos here so even if it's available, it's tough to find.

I really like these watches. It's like owning a Lexus instead of a Mercedes.

Edit - check out the all black version. Available in US. Damn!

http://seikousa.com/collections/ananta/SSD001
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    RSX-S

Thanks Rage, always valued your opinion on watches. I saw those black watches as well at the outlets but at a fraction of the MSRP ($280,000). I'm not a fan of black watches as it never seems to look right with a shirt, also the coating on colored bezels always seem wear off, leaving the watch looking like crap. this actually leads me to a question, how is the PVD coating on these high end Seikos?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I've never owned a Seiko so I can't tell you. I'm still sad that a fellow mod sold his Seiko Ananta Spring Drive without letting me know because I would've bought it off him. With that said I've never had PVD wear off on my watches.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Since this is a Seiko thread, is there any shop that I can bring to clean my Seiko Monster? I know it is not a luxury watch or even remotely same class as Ananta, but I really love my watch.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Kong's Watches in Chinatown.

I have a Seiko diver Pepsi bezel, a dress automatic from HK, and a Worldtimer. I would definitely pay extra money to get a Grand Seiko, let alone the Anata.

They're quality stuff and that diver watch is older than me. Still ticking.
    Last edited by flipstah; 10-04-2015 at 08:03 AM.
    Doing It For the 'Gram

I ain't worried 'bout it right now..

My Ride
    Wristshots

Default Re: Are Seiko watches any good?

Originally posted by KISS_ME
    Just got back from Japan and there were so many amazing Seiko watches that I've never seen before here in Canada or North America for that matter. One specific one i found that caught my eyes at the Seiko outlet shop was this: http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/s.../item/saeh005/

It was outlet price at $180, 000 yen plus 5% off, so around $171,000 (~$2k Cad). I was close to pulling the trigger to get something for my personal Japan present but I'm not that knowledgeable about watches so i held off on the purchase. Now i'm really regretting not getting it after find it outs ~3k Cad. Good news however is my Sister is heading over next week so i still have the chance to pick it up. Just want to get the communities opinion on the watch, branding isn't overly important to me as i already have a Rolex and Omega.

one other that caught my eyes was a newer model from Bic Camera, http://www.seiyajapan.com/products/s...resage-sarw011

Should i just get the cheap one and call it a day or get the more expensive as it looks cooler?
    Seiko watches, particularly the "JDM" offerings, are great value. I wouldn't hesitate in getting one.

Rage brings up a valid point about servicing the 6S28 movement - I'd have no issues in sending it back to Seiko in Japan for service. My Prospex hasn't required service yet, but perhaps Seiko Canada can send these models to Japan for service.

The SARW011 with the 6R27 movement isn't as much of an issue. Needless to say, this is a somewhat simpler movement than the 6S28 and there are some North American models which have movements that share some parts with this one.

Happy hunting and post pictures of what you end up with on your wrist!

Seiko has been around forever, So they must be doing something right lol

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 01:58 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Exploded.

Doing It For the 'Gram

My Ride
    RSX-S

Awesome. Thanks Guys!! Just hope the watch is still there waiting for me. Otherwise i'll just have my Sis pick me up something at the bigger electronic chain stores. As for the Ananta lines, neither Bic Camera or Yodabashi carried them so i was worried it was an extremely dated line; they have the Grand Seiko but not the Ananta.

Rage, regarding your PVD comment, what kinda watches do you own that uses PVD coating? I ask because i want to gauge what kinda brands i need to be looking to have a thicker coating.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I dunno if I'm a good judge or what. My watches get very little wear, as they're always on rotation.

My Ride
    335i

Not sure if it helps but I just paid $2500 for a grand Seiko and couldn't be happier with it. The quality on the GS is about as good as you can get in a watch.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

The only problem with buying the higher end Seikos (usually the JDM models) is that your Rolex, Omega, Breitling watches start to seem overpriced for what they are.

My Ride
    Exploded.

You pay for the name, like everything in life.
    Doing It For the 'Gram

My Ride
    Bicycle

RFD reports that Seiko SSC259 may be available at Costco for $129 if anyone want a budget Seiko. Normally $3xx.

http://www.seikocan.com/!/en/products/view/ssc259/

My Ride
    Silverado

Originally posted by Xtrema
    RFD reports that Seiko SSC259 may be available at Costco for $129 if anyone want a budget Seiko. Normally $3xx.

http://www.seikocan.com/!/en/products/view/ssc259/
    FTFY

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I'd buy that for that price, nice little watch.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Wow that's sweet!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    This and that.

Costco.ca doesn't even show any Seiko watch on their site.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast