Quantcast
Marijuana infinately worse than Tobacco. - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Marijuana infinately worse than Tobacco.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 07:44 PM.

I just noticed that Harper said it was *infinitely* worse.

That's the language of hyperbole and fearmongering, not rationality.

My Ride
    '05 Saabaru 9-2X

Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow
    I just noticed that Harper said it was *infinitely* worse.

That's the language of hyperbole and fearmongering, not rationality.
    To be fair, we know the man isn't good at math.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Its amazing how many people are still stuck on smoking it, by far the least efficient use of the plant, especially now that medical users are able to use concentrates. 80mg caps are like 0.1g of plant material and keeps you going for about 6hrs, hell you can vaporize it THEN make the caps from the same material... or just burn up 2g in a blunt

Originally posted by ercchry
    Its amazing how many people are still stuck on smoking it, by far the least efficient use of the plant, especially now that medical users are able to use concentrates. 80mg caps are like 0.1g of plant material and keeps you going for about 6hrs, hell you can vaporize it THEN make the caps from the same material... or just burn up 2g in a blunt
    "Smoking Marijuana" is the parlance of the boomer set that Harper caters to.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by 01RedDX

People keep citing this like it's gospel, but the only link is that people with a genetic pre-disposition to developing schizophrenia and other mental illnesses are more likely to use it. Correlation =/= causation, even your own link (webMD lol) states that:

How about the effects of heavy alcohol and tobacco use on developing bodies and minds? Two perfectly legal drugs though, which goes to show you, kids should not be using any of them, it's as simple as that.

Not sure where you read that I stated it was EXPLICIT that smoking dope causes issues. Please read again, I said "IT CAN IN SOME CASES".

But yes, regulating dope would be a wise idea. Harper & co are out to lunch with regards to this matter (as well as C51, prostitution laws). Why cant the, semi, somewhat, fiscally prudent Cons just accept that being cons with finances DOESENT mean they have to be draconian with social policy
    Last edited by revelations; 10-04-2015 at 03:43 PM.

Originally posted by revelations
    Apparently, studies have shown that regular smoking of dope for YOUNG people (eg. under 20) can, in some cases, alter brain chemistry and thus, brain development in a negative way. It may also lead to further issues down the road eg. Schizophrenia.

But if over 25 then puff away !! (I wish it was regulated like regular cigs).

http://www.webmd.com/children/news/2...veloping-brain
    This is just FUD. Discussion of obscure scenarios does not advance the discussion.

Cons just accept that being cons with finances
    The conservatives are conservatives with finances? That's news to me.

I thought they were just socially conservative.

My Ride
    fiat abarth

it's only infinitely worse because marijuana isn't openly taxed.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by bcylau
    it's only infinitely worse because marijuana isn't openly taxed.
    Which can be changed. But like prostitution, you are not going to change conservatives' minds even with money on the table.

marijuana isn't a monolithic drug, that's why it needs to be legal and regulated. Some strains with high THC can induce psychosis in those predisposed. Others with low THC and high CBD can help treat psychosis. Some are good for medicinal use like pain and insomnia, other's give you energy and keep you awake, and others just get you really stoned. I often wish I could go to a store and buy the strain I want to help with the specific symptoms I need help with. You go to a random dealer on the street and you don't know what you're getting so it's far worse that it's not legal. It causes far more problems than it solves.

Let's not even get into the moral argument of one human having the authority and right to tell another human that they can't use a plant that has been around on planet earth longer than humans have, at the risk of being locked up and having their freedom taken away from them.
    Last edited by BigMass; 10-04-2015 at 06:24 PM.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

its super funny that marijuana is one of the most researched products in the drug game, is not legal, yet tobacco and alochol, which are proven deadly, causing a world of problems, with 0 positive effects, only negative, are sold everywhere. What the fuck is wrong with government.

Originally posted by BigMass
    Let's not even get into the moral argument of one human having the authority and right to tell another human that they can't use a plant that has been around on planet earth longer than humans have, at the risk of being locked up and having their freedom taken away from them.
    "Let's not even get into the moral argument"

I know you meant, "Let's get into the moral argument".

And again, no one should have the dictatorial right to tell another one they can and can't do with their body, and then have the self righteousness to imprison them. Welcome to so called freedom and democracy.

In before the proverbial lame argument of, "but...they're hurting themselves and others, so it must be damned". Get a brane.

Originally posted by theken
    its super funny that marijuana is one of the most researched products in the drug game, is not legal, yet tobacco and alochol, which are proven deadly, causing a world of problems, with 0 positive effects, only negative, are sold everywhere. What the fuck is wrong with government.
    There are numerous positive effects of alcohol and even more when you bring the social benefits of drinking into the equation. Like anything, moderation is the key.

On another note, sinking another ship won't make yours sail higher. Especially when the positive effects for the government is $$$.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 01:14 PM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by theken

Even Uncle Sam is (in some places) legalizing marijuana. Canada doesent have to live in the 1900s and this is costing Harper votes.

Even Uncle Sam is (in some places) legalizing marijuana. Canada doesent have to live in the 1900s and this is costing Harper votes.
    there's plenty of 70 year old crusties, racists homophobic bigots and religious wingnuts of all Abrahamic faiths ready to vote for Harper. Lets also not leave out rich atheistic utilitarian psychopathic yuppies that believe money and economics are all that matter in the world.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow

Smoking is for folks stuck in the 20th century.

Don't let harper frame the discussion.

A colleague of mine is a hardcore stoner - And his favorite delivery method is a tincture that he drops under his tongue.

There's also vaporizing, vaping, topical creams, edibles, sublimation... you name it.

Smoking is handy for ad-hoc consumption... But anyone who is doing it regularly will have a more refined delivery method, and the equipment to support it.
    All of them criminals, deserving of criminal records.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I was thinking about this the other day.... I am in favour of legalization, but I started thinking about how much effort we have spent as a society to get people to quite smoking. Do we really want to start encouraging people to pick up another habit which is no doubt going to have similar health impacts.
    You assume that legalization will increase adoption. This is unclear.

What's also unclear is how much it will *decrease* alchohol consumption, which I'd consider a net benefit

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I almost think that legalization should take into account alternative usage systems that are better for your health, as you mentioned... vaping, edibles, drinks, etc. Allow that, but keep smoking banned.
    I know you have good intentions with this, but legislating around the delivery system is a pandoras box. What if a newer, improved method is developed, but stays illegal due to the legislative overhead necessary to make it legit?

As it stands now, regular users do anything *but* smoke. I'm no expert, but I'd suggest that there more often a person partakes, the less likely it is they smoke.

There are just so many superior delivery methods now, and consumers, given the choice, are choosing them.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 01:14 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast