Quantcast
First attempt at Pho broth... any pointers? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: First attempt at Pho broth... any pointers?

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

Default First attempt at Pho broth... any pointers?

So I've been looking at several different recipes online for Pho broth. I don't mind taking the time to do this right, so not really looking for shortcuts. Looking for tips/pointers on the types of bone/meat combinations you think could make the best broth. And also for those that make their own Pho broth at home, which butcher in Calgary tends to have most of the meat/bone ingredients?

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

For how my mom's make the broth is, its chock full of oxtail bones and chicken bones/carcasses. She boils it first for a short time like 30 mins, then dumps it all out and washes it. The 30 min boil gets rid of all the impurities and blood and etc and will give you a nice clear broth after.

Then re-fill with water, and she cooks the broth overnight 6-8 hours. For flavoring, she takes a whole white onion and burns/marks the outside and tosses that in. She also uses star anise, a whole piece of ginger burned/marked on outside as well.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

Watch your salt levels. I made the broth a few times and first too were soooooo salty, I tried countering with more water and some cane sugar and then it was like a diluted sweet salty mess.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by dj_rice
    For how my mom's make the broth is, its chock full of oxtail bones and chicken bones/carcasses. She boils it first for a short time like 30 mins, then dumps it all out and washes it. The 30 min boil gets rid of all the impurities and blood and etc and will give you a nice clear broth after.

Then re-fill with water, and she cooks the broth overnight 6-8 hours. For flavoring, she takes a whole white onion and burns/marks the outside and tosses that in. She also uses star anise, a whole piece of ginger burned/marked on outside as well.
    Wouldn't dumping all the water remove everything you just extracted from the bones and carcasses? As far as I know from making chicken broth, you just have to scoop out the top layer of foam and shit (which is all the blood and impurities), and the broth should be fine.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

You can dump the initial boil to get it clean. Both ways work, but dumping results in a clearer broth. There's still plenty of stuff left in the bones for extraction.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Dumping the first boil is the only way to get that clear broth look. Otherwise it will look murky like beef dip.

+1 for oxtail. Plenty of recipes online, you'll see a pretty distinctive trend with spices and ingredients. They sell premade spice packets at the asian market (tnt?), they're not bad.

Once you master the broth, start skimming and clarifying the fat. Make nuoc beo for the soup
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

Originally posted by sexualbanana
    Wouldn't dumping all the water remove everything you just extracted from the bones and carcasses? As far as I know from making chicken broth, you just have to scoop out the top layer of foam and shit (which is all the blood and impurities), and the broth should be fine.
    No.

In reality you are just rinsing the bones after a 30 minute boil. This gets rid of the solid proteins (that create a foamy scum in your broth) and other loose bits you don't want.

When it comes to broth what you really want is the collagen and that takes 8+ hours at a slow simmer to extract.

My Ride
    2013 GTR BE, 2010 Jeep SRT8

Buy Star Anise at Bulk Barn, was hard to find elsewhere....

I added Peanut butter and Coconut milk to my finished broth along with sate sauce for a nice unique flavor.

Other than that, I used any bones I could find at the supermarket, which was slim pickings and ended up costing me more to make at home then it would have to eat out.

Good luck, you are in for a good half day over the stove!

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

Thanks for the tips. Yeah par boiling is what's required to make sure a clear broth.

dj_rice - was the skin still on for the onion and ginger for the charring?

Protip.

A cheap way to get good amounts of collagen in your broth is to use chicken feet instead of other chicken bones. Usually you can get them for under $1/lb and they make GREAT broth.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Turns out I've been using bones for stews and broth wrong the whole time
    Ultracrepidarian

X2 - same exact method my mom uses.

Alton Brown has a good chicken stock episode.

My Ride

Originally posted by JDMMAN
    Thanks for the tips. Yeah par boiling is what's required to make sure a clear broth.

dj_rice - was the skin still on for the onion and ginger for the charring?

Skin was off on the onion but on for the ginger. The burning creates a more in depth flavor and brings it out more. Kinda like searing meat. It seals the juices in.
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride

Originally posted by friedn00dles

X2 - same exact method my mom uses.

I'm pretty sure I'm missing a few steps/ingredients as she starts cooking it late evening 9-10pm and it simmers during the night.

For the meats, I do know she uses tripe, beef meatballs, brisket. But mainly the soup is tons of oxtail.

My Ride
    Subaru WRX

3 chicken carcasses and the more oxtail, the better.

I char the onion and ginger under the broiler, turn often. Leave skin on the onion. In essence you're caramelizing the first few layers of the onion underneath the skin - nom nom.

My mom told me to take a peeled daikon and a peeled old carrot - toss it in after the parboil to add some vegetable sweetness. I also toast the star anise, coriander seeds and other herbs lightly in a pan before tossing into the stock as well.

F I want to make pho now.

Yeah this is how my wife makes it as well. No MSG needed and tastes great. Whenever we make any soups with any bones or carcasses we always boil it for a bit first then discard the water and clean the bones and boil again to get a clean broth.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 06:51 PM.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Anyone tried making it in a pressure cooker?
    Haven't done it myself, but usually you get cleaner broths because there's no turbulence from boiling and it should cut the time down by a lot.

Also... source for cheap ox tail? it's essentially the same price as steak at Superstore.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    K20A2

Originally posted by Strider
    Anyone tried making it in a pressure cooker?
    Haven't done it myself, but usually you get cleaner broths because there's no turbulence from boiling and it should cut the time down by a lot.

Also... source for cheap ox tail? it's essentially the same price as steak at Superstore.
    ox tail too expensive for me i use beef knuckles or the neck bone
    Built with Chopsticks