Quantcast
Tow truck driver hit, seriously injured on Deerfoot Trail - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Tow truck driver hit, seriously injured on Deerfoot Trail

My Ride
    fg2

communication on this could definitely be better. werent there some radio ads about the coming changes earlier this year? or maybe im just old and misremembering

but i gotta be honest, i thought it had already expanded to include tow trucks/maintenance crews and all lanes.. as motioned everyone certainty slows down in all lanes haha

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I actually disagree with you and think slowing down all 4 lanes is the proper way of doing it. On QEII 2 lane, when right lane slows down to 50 or 60, people in the left lane were doing 130 flying by people in the right lane. That's a massive speed differential. I mean I'm keeping up with traffic but I'm sure the fuck not comfortable flying by cars to my right like they're standing still so I'm hugging the left and sometimes even driving a little on the rumble strips. One idiot lane changing would cause chaos.

Most of the time tho, I already see people slowing down on the left lanes regardless, way before the all lanes slow down rule was coming into play. So there's currently a huge mix of speed differential, and gets worse with more lanes.

I would say slowing down all 4 lanes is the safer way, just because people on the road are fucking idiots. If we had better driving ability across the population, we could get away with just single lane slowing down.
    Pretty much my thoughts. Having seen someone in the far right lane slow down properly and then someone impatient / unaware behind them dart out to the next lane with someone barreling full speed behind them. It was a really close call. I'd be fine if everyone on one side slowed down equally, whatever traffic is likely to slow anyways.

But teach the dumb dumbs going the opposite way not to slam on their brakes ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by dansmith11 View Post
    communication on this could definitely be better. werent there some radio ads about the coming changes earlier this year? or maybe im just old and misremembering
    Quote Originally Posted by dansmith11 View Post

but i gotta be honest, i thought it had already expanded to include tow trucks/maintenance crews and all lanes.. as motioned everyone certainty slows down in all lanes haha

Yes, these changes were set to come into effect 3 months ago then a month before it was delayed to Sept. Now we're almost to Sept and they change the rules again. It's absolute shit messaging.

My Ride
    NC1

so keep it as is
    I dig it
    I think ppl will figure it out or not
    Some People can’t even handle the zipper merge aha
    I can feel their rage as I drive to the very end before late merging in hehe
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

People still whizz by marked police SUVs with "DRIVE SAFE" plastered all over them, unless the gov't goes CO style I'm not sure what kind of effective "messaging" people are thinking of.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Not much different than construction zones like currently on Glenmore going from 100 (posted 80) to 50. While you get used to knowing it's coming if it's part of you regular commute, and there is advanced signage, you never know who will abide by the speed change and to what degree. Too many people drive thinking speed limits don't apply to them.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I think one of the biggest things lacking from this better road traffic management training.
    I did course with law enforcement back in the UK over decade ago. One of the key things was do not have your back to traffic or have someone facing traffic to watch out for you. Get off the road and get the public away from the road.
    The other week I was going down 22x. I have had vehicle owners right next to traffic and conversing with roadside assistance like it was nothing. I have witnessed people standing in between cars like they are having a mothers meeting. All it takes is another car to rear end them and they get crushed. I could go on.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    There's at least three in both directions on the QEII.
    That's lovely. If you drive the QEII. On my commute (and I took a special closer look for it today), there isn't a single such sign. Thanks for coming out.

I actually disagree with you and think slowing down all 4 lanes is the proper way of doing it. On QEII 2 lane, when right lane slows down to 50 or 60, people in the left lane were doing 130 flying by people in the right lane. That's a massive speed differential. I mean I'm keeping up with traffic but I'm sure the fuck not comfortable flying by cars to my right like they're standing still so I'm hugging the left and sometimes even driving a little on the rumble strips. One idiot lane changing would cause chaos.
    Fair take on it. My perspective was from the thought that for those drivers who are driving too fast for the traffic (and there are many) having all lanes slowing suddenly means they have to react quickly, as opposed to different speeds of lanes, where they have an "out". Perhaps the reason for my perspective was just two days ago, I hit an 80 on Stoney so as I slowed down, the guy who was coming up quickly behind me was able to move into the passing lane. If that wasn't an option, it would have been close. But then, presumably, if he could see all lanes abreast, then maybe he would have slowed down earlier. But maybe you're right - I'm not traffic engineer...

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

I can guarantee you the signs are out there. but they are the most non descript white signs like everything else and nobody is going to pay attention to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    That's lovely. If you drive the QEII. On my commute (and I took a special closer look for it today), there isn't a single such sign. Thanks for coming out.
    Is your commute in the city? Because it's up to the city to put up signs.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

I've only seen the signs on QEII which I'm rarely on. I'm on Glenmore, Crowchild, and MacLeod often enough and have never seen any there.

Do you know many homeless people Gondek would release if the province started putting up signs in the city?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    I can guarantee you the signs are out there. but they are the most non descript white signs like everything else and nobody is going to pay attention to them.

Yeah they may be nondescript, but at least they are there. To me, that is a reasonable attempt. Now they just need to place those on all entrances to the city, and main routes. The only issue here is that they don't really clarify the 1-lane, 4-lane thing....

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    Not much different than construction zones like currently on Glenmore going from 100 (posted 80) to 50. While you get used to knowing it's coming if it's part of you regular commute, and there is advanced signage, you never know who will abide by the speed change and to what degree. Too many people drive thinking speed limits don't apply to them.
    It doesn't help that they aren't actually working on Glenmore, but the off-ramps/overpasses. Why speed has to slow down under a bridge because workers are above you, is beyond me.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Need overhanging electronic signs that warn you of emergency vehicles ahead. Every kilometer.

Yeah they may be nondescript, but at least they are there. To me, that is a reasonable attempt. Now they just need to place those on all entrances to the city, and main routes. The only issue here is that they don't really clarify the 1-lane, 4-lane thing....
    Do you blow through red lights because they don't say STOP on them?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Do you blow through red lights because they don't say STOP on them?
    I must, right?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

To be fully transparent, I just received my first (and so far only) contact regarding the rule.change sept 1st.

Name:  Screenshot_20230813_122839_Facebook.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  88.2 KB

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

This whole "SLOW DOWN. MOVE OVER." motto they seem to be doing implies that people should slow to 60 and move to the left lane. lol

Slow down. Move over. Get rear-ended at high speed.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Considering people don't even know how to properly merge, yield or use through lanes this change is going to be comical.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Most of the time tho, I already see people slowing down on the left lanes regardless, way before the all lanes slow down rule was coming into play. So there's currently a huge mix of speed differential, and gets worse with more lanes.

I would say slowing down all 4 lanes is the safer way, just because people on the road are fucking idiots. If we had better driving ability across the population, we could get away with just single lane slowing down.
    Yep and all you need is one idiot in the right lane doing 60 to merge over to the left lane and get rear end smoked. Not exactly safer for the roadside workers or the people that had an asshat pull out in front of them

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast