Quantcast
NASA announcement re: Pluto - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NASA announcement re: Pluto

Default NASA announcement re: Pluto

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 06:50 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2...-horizons-data

“This world is alive,” Stern said of Pluto to a packed room at the University of Alberta. “It has weather, it has hazes in the atmosphere, active geology.”

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 01:28 PM.

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 01:57 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Is it just me, or is NASA just trying to be relevant these days

The last announcement I expected to hear they had found evidence of past life on Mars. What did we get? They found that Salty water doesn't freeze on Mars in the summer time.
    If we can divert more funding out of military to NASA or the better we are as a human race.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

They probably found a formation of rocks that looks like jesus.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Don't hate the playa, hate the game

Hype is where it is at, you aren't going to get money or recognition working in the shadows. No offense to Chris Hadfield, but there isn't anything (I don't think anyways) that sets him apart from any other astronaut besides being "hyped". Ermhagerd, he played a guitar in SPACE! GASP!

Not to take anything away from the guy overall, he seems like a great dude and I am glad he is doing what he is doing, but if you really look at him, he seems (in a general sense) just like any other of his colleagues.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 06:49 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    He's an astronaut, that's pretty fucking special all in itself. Very few people get selected to become astronauts.
    And did I degrade astronauts in anyway? Nope. They are extremely important.

But to say the stuff he has done in space is actually "important" is like saying what Justin Bieber did for music is "important" and I feel he is being waaaay overcredited for it.

Did he do some things that were cool? Absolutely. Were they important or make him stand apart from the rest of the WORLDs astronauts? Nope. (What a narrow mindes viewpoint to take that since he is Canadian, that somehow automatically makes him TEHBESTASTROZOMGNAUTEVAR!!!).

Now THAT is stupid.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 06:49 PM.

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 01:57 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Chris Hadfield is the Nenshi of astronauts.

Seriously though, the Higgs Hype™ was all about confirming something we already knew and everybody jumped on it. This is new information to the entire planet and you're downplaying it? If you don't care about weather on Pluto, fine, but discovering shit like that is precisely the point of NASA.

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    Saying he's just like "any other astronaut" is kinda like saying "Jesus was just like any other prophet" or "Gretzky is just like any other top 5 NHLer." He's an astronaut, that's pretty fucking special all in itself. Very few people get selected to become astronauts.
    You serious? The Jesus equivalent is Yuri Gagarin or Neil Armstrong... someone who actually did an IMPORTANT first. Chris Hatfield is probably more comparable to Bruce/Caitlin Jenner (except nobody in space to run over with your space shuttle). He's an astronaut that is helping inform people about space travel through social media. Good on him, but I agree that beyond a bit of media exposure, there is nothing unique about him.

Originally posted by Feruk

You serious? The Jesus equivalent is Yuri Gagarin or Neil Armstrong... someone who actually did an IMPORTANT first. Chris Hatfield is probably more comparable to Bruce/Caitlin Jenner (except nobody in space to run over with your space shuttle). He's an astronaut that is helping inform people about space travel through social media. Good on him, but I agree that beyond a bit of media exposure, there is nothing unique about him.
    I really do not like your comparison. Chris Hadfield is important to NASA and the space community as a whole. He is an extremely celebrated and respected member. He rose to prominence through hard work and dedication. Read his book, it is really quite a refreshing view into a career that I am sure you considered once or twice. I know I did.

With that said, as an astronaut he didn't have the same opportunity to do something like Neil Armstrong or Yuri. I am sure if he could have, he would have gone to mars and marooned himself there for science.

With that said, what he did was just as important. To inspire a world full of idiots to aspire to be something greater. He re-popularized the idea that studying hard and perseverance can lead to life changing careers.

Originally posted by Wikipedia

Special honours and affiliations

Wall of Honour, Royal Military College of Canada
    Hadfield is the recipient of numerous awards and special honours. These include appointment to the Order of Ontario in 1996[45] and the Order of Canada in 2014,[46] receipt of the Vanier Award in 2001, NASA Exceptional Service Medal in 2002, the Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal in 2002, and the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medal in 2012. He is also the only Canadian to have received both a military and civilian Meritorious Service Cross, the military medal in 2001 and the civilian one in 2013.[47] In 1988, Hadfield was granted the Liethen-Tittle Award (top pilot graduate of the USAF Test Pilot School) and was named US Navy Test Pilot of the Year in 1991. He was inducted into Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame in 2005 and Commemorated on Royal Canadian Mint silver and gold coins for his spacewalk to install Canadarm2 on the International Space Station in 2001.[5] Further, the Royal Military College granted Hadfield an honorary Doctorate of Engineering in 1996 and he was presented with an honorary Doctorate of Laws from Trent University three years later. In 2013, Hadfield was presented with an Honorary Diploma from Nova Scotia Community College.[48] Upon his taking command of the International Space Station, Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada, sent Hadfield a personal message of congratulations, stating "I am pleased to transmit my personal best wishes, and those of all Canadians, to Colonel Christopher Hadfield as he takes command of the International Space Station..."[49]

His affiliations include the membership in the Royal Military College Club, Society of Experimental Test Pilots, and Canadian Aeronautics and Space Institute and serving as honorary patron of Lambton College, former trustee of Lakefield College School, board member of the International Space School Foundation, and executive with the Association of Space Explorers.

In Sarnia, the city airport was renamed to Sarnia Chris Hadfield Airport in 1997[50] and there are two public schools named after him – one in Milton, Ontario and the other in Bradford, Ontario.[51][52] Asteroid 14143 Hadfield is also named after him.

In 2005, 820 Milton Blue Thunder Squadron was renamed 820 Chris Hadfield Squadron in honour of Hadfield, who was a cadet there from 1971 to 1978.[53]

In 2014, his name was added to the Wall of Honour at the Royal Military College of Canada in Kingston, Ontario.

http://<i>https://en.wikipedia.org/w...s_Hadfield</i>
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by Xtrema

If we can divert more funding out of military to NASA or the better we are as a human race.
    Word!

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Originally posted by Xtrema
    Even if the US cut their defence budget in half (which would be about $32.1 billion this year iirc) it would be more than significant help for NASA or space exploration.

Originally posted by R154
    In 1988, Hadfield was granted the Liethen-Tittle Award (top pilot graduate of the USAF Test Pilot School) and was named US Navy Test Pilot of the Year in 1991.
    I had no idea Canadians could be eligible for that.

Because, he was the first.
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by R154
    I really do not like your comparison. Chris Hadfield is important to NASA and the space community as a whole. He is an extremely celebrated and respected member. He rose to prominence through hard work and dedication. Read his book, it is really quite a refreshing view into a career that I am sure you considered once or twice. I know I did.
    Not trying to put the guy down as astronauts are awesome, I just think some of the praise is over the top. He rose to prominence through a Youtube video. It's the only reason most people have heard of him.

To prove the point... can anyone name an astronaut who has gone to space in the last decade besides Hadfield? I can't, and I love everything space related.

Roberta Bondar.

First female Astronaut & Neurologist - Longer then 10 years.

Julie Payette.

Chief Astronaut & CAPCOM. - last flight 6 years ago.

Join me.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Feruk

Not trying to put the guy down as astronauts are awesome, I just think some of the praise is over the top. He rose to prominence through a Youtube video. It's the only reason most people have heard of him.

To prove the point... can anyone name an astronaut who has gone to space in the last decade besides Hadfield? I can't, and I love everything space related.
    We hear about him the most because he's Canadian, just like the Canada Arm (that the majority of US news just calls the space arm)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast