Quantcast
Fixing up grout in my shower? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fixing up grout in my shower?

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Default Fixing up grout in my shower?

I have a tiled shower and today I noticed a bit of the grout has fallen off the wall. Is this easy to fix? could I do this myself, I guess the biggest problem would be matching the color of the grout.

http://imgur.com/a/MFP5X

My Ride
    Grimace

I am no dave, but it should be easy enough to replace. I don't think it comes in too many colors so you should be able to match it at the store. I need to fix my kitchen floor grout but I think I still have some in my basement. Is that grout sealed though, looks fairly new, maybe it wasn't and the water got to it?

You would be surprised at how many grout colors there really are. We did our basement and it was pretty crazy. Go to Ames tile, they have a rack on the centre counter where you place your order. You can take grout color samples and match them up to your grout at home.

My Ride
    Exploded.

How bad is your OCD? Regrout the whole shower bad or 'meh close enough'?

YEah you're right in dealing with that ASAP. That's pretty bad for water to get in there.

Looks like you've got a problem behind the tile. Grout shouldn't pop out like that and it almost looks like its being forced out of the joints. I would guess that the drywall behind the tile is really wet.

I can't say for sure but ill bet theres well over 100 grout colors between the different suppliers.
    Last edited by Rocket1k78; 10-10-2015 at 10:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I put some gorilla tape over it to make sure no extra water got in there. Im not sure how i would test to see how wet the drywall is behind it though. Its been buldging out for about six weeks. And yes I'm much m oree into a quick fix than retiling the whole shower
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

Cracking grout or grout falling out is indicative of loose tile. You can rake out the grout in that one joint, (just use an Olfa knife) and re-grout with as close a matching grout as you can. You won't match it perfectly, even if you find the exact grout that was originally used.

Having said that though, if it's a loose tile, it will just start cracking soon after you've fixed it.

Sealing it doesn't do anything. Grout is not waterproof, and no sealing will change that. But a crack like that left unattended will rot your drywall out in a matter of weeks. So the tape is a good idea...but get it fixed ASAP.

You can go to either Home Depot or Rona. They carry Custom and Mapei grouts. Ames carries Custom and Laticrete brand grout.

Use sanded grout.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

While not applicable here Dave, we've started using Ardex FL in commercial kitchens/mop sinks, etc. Ever try it?
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    While not applicable here Dave, we've started using Ardex FL in commercial kitchens/mop sinks, etc. Ever try it?
    Yes I've used it on a suppliers' showroom floor. I like it. The only problem is, they never stock it, so it's inconvenient.
    I just stick to using Mapei. If I want a faster setting grout, I'll use the Mapei Ultra Colour.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Originally posted by C_Dave45
    Cracking grout or grout falling out is indicative of loose tile. You can rake out the grout in that one joint, (just use an Olfa knife) and re-grout with as close a matching grout as you can. You won't match it perfectly, even if you find the exact grout that was originally used.

Having said that though, if it's a loose tile, it will just start cracking soon after you've fixed it.

Sealing it doesn't do anything. Grout is not waterproof, and no sealing will change that. But a crack like that left unattended will rot your drywall out in a matter of weeks. So the tape is a good idea...but get it fixed ASAP.

You can go to either Home Depot or Rona. They carry Custom and Mapei grouts. Ames carries Custom and Laticrete brand grout.

Use sanded grout.
    Thanks for the info, I noticed that its happening on a couple of tiles in the bottom of the shower. It it is wet drywall under there I guess it would just keep on happening until I got it fixed?

The tiles (other than where the grout fell out) seem pretty secure.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

As a home maintenance thing how often should grout need to be replaced around tiles, I mean my house is nearly 10 years old, whats a life expectancy on grout?

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

I posted almost this exact same thing a couple years back. I ended up gutting half of the bathroom down to the studs by the time I got all the bad drywall and improperly installed tile out of there. I wish you good luck, but as Dave said - the grout cracked because the tile is moving.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Oh well I guess if after I fix it it pops out again then I will go down that path.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Well the good news is now that I've scraped out my grout where it fell out - there is still grout in there between me and the drywall, the bad news is that I scraped out some other areas near there where it looked a bit dodgy and found a very light 1/16" amount of grout (as opposed to nearly 1/4" where it fell out) and then silicone caulk underneath. So I think I am actually repairing the previous owners shitty repair job. Im not sure how well grout sticks to caulk but maybe not so well after a couple of years worth of showers.

So now ive scraped all that out Im going to repair it with the grout i bought today. Hopefully after proper 2-3 day cure time we will be good.

My Ride
    Canyonero

They sell in-wall moisture meters. Use a "pinless" moisture meter to check on whether the wall board behind the tile is wet. http://www.grainger.com/content/qt-t...ure-meters-346

If it's really just drywall without a moisture barrier behind your tiles, you should consider reboarding with a proper moisture barrier (i.e. kerdi or redgard) and then re-tiling.

Check out the photos from the main floor bathroom I re-did two years ago. http://imgur.com/a/iJs8s Once I pulled the tiles off it didn't look so bad- until I looked at the backside of the drywall. Yum. A moldy/musty smell permeated the house whenever the shower was used.

Doing it on the cheap and easy will cost you big in the end. The mold got me another $5k off the closing price of this house.
    Last edited by prae; 10-16-2015 at 09:45 AM.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Originally posted by prae
    They sell in-wall moisture meters. Use a "pinless" moisture meter to check on whether the wall board behind the tile is wet. http://www.grainger.com/content/qt-t...ure-meters-346

If it's really just drywall without a moisture barrier behind your tiles, you should consider reboarding with a proper moisture barrier (i.e. kerdi or redgard) and then re-tiling.

Check out the photos from the main floor bathroom I re-did two years ago. http://imgur.com/a/iJs8s Once I pulled the tiles off it didn't look so bad- until I looked at the backside of the drywall. Yum. A moldy/musty smell permeated the house whenever the shower was used.

Doing it on the cheap and easy will cost you big in the end. The mold got me another $5k off the closing price of this house.
    My house was built in 2006. When was your house originally built. I cant imagine them not having a moisture barrier as it would of been to code right?

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Your thinking of vapor barrier, on the other side of the drywall. There aren't any codes about waterproof membranes for showers or tubs.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Originally posted by blitz
    Your thinking of vapor barrier, on the other side of the drywall. There aren't any codes about waterproof membranes for showers or tubs.
    Ah well thats pretty shit eh, oh well i'll take my chances and if a different piece falls out i'll check out the "wetness" then

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Bump. Is there anyone around we recommend for re-grouting a whole shower? I'm too lazy to tackle this myself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast