Quantcast
Employment Insurance MEGA THREAD - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 15 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Employment Insurance MEGA THREAD

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Employment Insurance MEGA THREAD

Hey guys, thought I'd start a single thread to hold all the EI discussions. Seems like we've had a few thread hijackings elsewhere.

I'll kick it off, with my understanding of the process of applying.
    - Request an access code, wait 5-10 days for snail mail to arrive
    - Download ROE
    - Apply
    - Wait several weeks before you get a response.

- Profit??!!

Does that sound about right?

I see you are supposed to apply within thirty days of being laid off. Seems like that means you should request that access code right away, so you aren't up against the deadline.

Anyone else have tips, tricks, or questions about EI?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Here is the only trick that exists for getting through on the phone: When you dial 1-800-206-7218 you press '0' at the menu for an agent. When you get the message about call volume is too high, you press '1' which takes you back to the main menu. You choose '0' again, and then '1' again if it's still not letting you in. Just 1 and 0 until it lets you wait on hold. Then leave it on speakerphone as you wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

That's great to know.
    Is there any advantage to using the phone system instead of online?
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    TL

when you get laid off, read the severance package. mine indicated my ROE as "quit" which made me ineligible for EI. I had to get HR call service canada to alter my ruling. Some employers send the ROE directly to service canada, some make you do it. figure that out right away. It makes the process quicker

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

another phone tip, start calling at 8am MST, there is a recording saying the phone line opens at 8:30 but I once got through at 8:15 or so and only waited on hold for 10min vs calling at 8:30 and having a 45min + wait time, I also called on a Wednesday. I don't know if that did the trick or was just a fluke but it took me two weeks of calling and sitting on hold being disconnected after waiting on hold to get through.

The service Canada centre is useless as they often refer you to call the 1-800#

Pretty close Peter. Although from experience you don't HAVE to apply within 30 days of being unemployed, but I did find doing within 30 days got a quicker response time. As well neither time was I required to mail in or submit an ROE, every company I have worked at does digital so they have them on file.

And the online system is quick/easy. Shows all your claim info, messages, outstanding items, etc etc. Then every second friday its a couple simple questions, all no's and one yes. Then it goes smooth. Only time I had to call in was when a company sent me a delayed incentive check, and I clicked the "other payment section" to be safe, unfortunately it counted as my entire EI for that two week period.

But otherwise just be very honest if you leave the country is my only advice from some bad friend/acquaintances stories...

Calling on a wednesday is better than calling on a monday if you need to phone in.
    heloc that shit

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Oddly mine stopped about 6 weeks ago, when I tried to fill out a biweekly report on my phone stating my status as an unemployed hobo, it said I don't have an active claim anymore and as a result I no longer can get benefits.

So I have to go to a claims office and see what's happening. Definitely strange. Hopefully I can get reimbursed for the loss of earnings up until now. . I tried calling it in to speak to a person, but with the 45 minute wait times, it's happened before that after holding for that entire time, for the call just to be dropped along the way, which is exceptionally frustrating.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Did my application online today, and had no issues. I had been waiting, as I thought it would be helpful to have a copy of my ROE, which was submitted online, and I hadn`t seen. Was having trouble downloading it from Service Canada. Decided that I need to get the ball moving, and submitted my application without it. Service Canada should have a copy, even if I don`t.

I'm still employed. but a question. Someone told me if you leave the country while on EI, they can ask for the money back. But what if you had booked the flights and trip well in advance? Do they treat cases, as one-offs, or is it a flat/blanket policy?

My Ride
    Ford F150

It's not complicated, every week you fill out a very simple online questionnaire. The weeks you're out of town, specify that. You don't receive benefits those weeks. They resume when you're back.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

Originally posted by urbannomad
    I'm still employed. but a question. Someone told me if you leave the country while on EI, they can ask for the money back. But what if you had booked the flights and trip well in advance? Do they treat cases, as one-offs, or is it a flat/blanket policy?

fill out the report saying you left country on the exact days you were gone. yes, you will not receive any money. It is much better than lying and getting caught. They can forfeit your EI benefits if they want to based upon that

My Ride
    2003 Mustang Cobra

If you know that you will be laid off on a certain date, can you start the process of signing up for EI in advance so when you are laid off you have everything sorted out and can start receiving payments immediately?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I don't think you can apply until you have been laid off. Also, there is a two week waiting period at a bare minimum. So you can't get paid for those two weeks.

No idea what the processing time is these days, I'll let you kkow when I get my first payment.

Apply the last day you go to work. That's what I did in 2012 lol

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Mine was weird, as they took my vacation payout (hadn't used any of it) as being pay from the employer, so I didn't get a nickel by the time I found new gig (approx a month later).

Originally posted by Brent.ff
    Mine was weird, as they took my vacation payout (hadn't used any of it) as being pay from the employer, so I didn't get a nickel by the time I found new gig (approx a month later).

Yup, I got dinged for that too. Work was crazy and couldn't use it, and then got punished for it.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Guess I can't bitch as I found a job, but was annoyed by the system..

Did any of you get selected to goto that "Information session"? I got a letter for that and...I'm not sure why.

They haven't even paid me a single penny and they want to see where I've been applying and such lol

Fine with me but still really early

My Ride
    Eclipse

Originally posted by Hero_X
    Did any of you get selected to goto that "Information session"? I got a letter for that and...I'm not sure why.

They haven't even paid me a single penny and they want to see where I've been applying and such lol

Fine with me but still really early
    From when I was on EI that was random, didn't get it first two years and then they made me go at 8am the 3rd year I was on it.. (Seasonal construction job)

It wasn't really showing them where you worked but more on how to apply for jobs and shit, it was pretty stupid but you are required to go..
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 11 ... LastLast