Quantcast
ECU/Chip tunes are illegal under TPP - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: ECU/Chip tunes are illegal under TPP

My Ride
    Bicycle

Default ECU/Chip tunes are illegal under TPP

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/whi...-under-the-tpp

I guess all tuners will now need approval from car manufacturers before they can write tunes.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Nothing new, other than the extension to Canada. ECU tunes will still be available, as there are other rules in place to ensure that aftermarket companies have access.

What Canadians should worry about is that the TPP will require ISPs to give up torrent user identities and that infringers are liable for legal costs if they lose. The piracy free reign appears to be over soon.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    8P 3.2

So what is illegal will continue to be illegal. If USA laws extended here oh well. Most usenet indexers (that I checked) are currently in the USA and are still up, most torrent sites are in countries not part of TPP. I use a VPN now. So nothing changes for me.

That is if this stays as part of the agreement. We have passed bills and court precedent that dictates how personal use piracy is dealt with. I really doubt that these "asks", no doubt proposed by the states, will remain in the final draft.

Originally posted by rage2
    The piracy free reign appears to be over soon.
    Do you honestly believe this?

What Canadians should worry about is that the TPP will require ISPs to give up torrent user identities and that infringers are liable for legal costs if they lose. The piracy free reign appears to be over soon.
    In this era oof ubiquitous and insecure wireless, is downloading even prosecutable?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Mibz
    Do you honestly believe this?
    Depends. If the WikiLeaks release is true and companies start going after end users, I could see it happening.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/wikilea...ils-under-tpp/

Article H11 also states that the court and counsel costs are to be payable by the infringer, with Article H16 mandating that the costs of any technical experts used in court cases must be "reasonable".

Article I7 also mandates that each party to the TPP must establish a judicial or administrative procedure through which rights owners can obtain the identity of a copyright infringer from an ISP in a timely and efficient manner in order to protect or enforce their copyright.
    Those stupid copyright letters already dropped piracy by over 50%. A few people having to pay court costs will stop another significant amount.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Okay, so we agree. I thought you were saying that piracy would be all but eliminated.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Out of curiosity, if you were singled out, and ended up having to settle a piracy case for $10k, would you continue doing it?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

10,000 dollars would buy a lot of months of HBO... Or Apple Music. Or Blu Rays

It's not nessecarily about recouping costs. You just have to make an example out of a few people to scare the rest of them off.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Out of curiosity, if you were singled out, and ended up having to settle a piracy case for $10k, would you continue doing it?
    Me personally? Yeah, probably. I've paid a lot in speeding tickets over the course of my life but I keep on keepin' on.

I'd just put more effort into not getting caught, which isn't a big deal to me because of what I do for a living. I do imagine that the average joe would see a $10,000 bill as a permanent deterrent, but I dunno, I can't speak for anybody but myself.
    Originally posted by killramos
    It's not necessarily about recouping costs. You just have to make an example out of a few people to scare the rest of them off.
    Yup. They just have to make sure they get the right people in those news stories. An "Old lady can't afford her medication after pirating Up to watch with her grandson" story isn't gonna do them any favours.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

I stopped pirating years ago. Rdio + Netflix + Amazon Prime = why bother?

On the rare occassion I want to watch or listen to something not on those platforms, I pop on iTunes and pay the $5 or whatever to make it happen.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Article I7 also mandates that each party to the TPP must establish a judicial or administrative procedure through which rights owners can obtain the identity of a copyright infringer from an ISP in a timely and efficient manner in order to protect or enforce their copyright.
    So it's up to the member states to set this. There is no universal procedure mandated, it simply requests that each member come up with a process for dealing with it. Which Canada already has, the Copyright Modernization Act (Bill C-11). Plus there is Judicial precedent set already in the Voltage Pictures vs Teksavvy case when it comes to getting IP addresses...The IPs can be turned over after a request is approved by the court, the plaintiff must reimburse the ISP for costs associated and the court must approve any letters sent to prevent copyright trolling. Because the court has to approve the nasty-grams, and Voltage cannot troll as a result, Voltage pictures has yet to actually submit any letters or requests for IP addresses.

Really, Canada already meets the requirements currently in the TPP agreement. But if there is a conflict or dispute with any of the member states between their laws and the TPP copyright rules then this section of the TPP will likely be dropped.

Nobody is going to stop a free trade agreement over disputes on how to deal with torrenters.

Originally posted by frizzlefry
    But if there is a conflict or dispute with any of the member states between their laws and the TPP copyright rules then this section of the TPP will likely be dropped.

Nobody is going to stop a free trade agreement over disputes on how to deal with torrenters.
    I don't have that amount of faith in the Government. If somebody says "Hey Canada, your shit isn't open enough" I see us saying "Okay, we'll gladly expose our people" rather than "Hey budday fuck you, we like privacy over here".

My Ride
    8P 3.2

I don't have that amount of faith in the Government. If somebody says "Hey Canada, your shit isn't open enough" I see us saying "Okay, we'll gladly expose our people" rather than "Hey budday fuck you, we like privacy over here".
    There is nothing that says we have to. There is no procedure defined, it just says that members need to address it. Which Canada has.

Besides, its not just us. If ANY country has an issue with it then it will go. And the current law was drafted by Harper and, at the time it was a bill, it was an "OMG torrenting is dead!! Sky is falling!" topic. But nothing has changed.

Same here. Much ado about nothing IMO.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

So if a guy torrents, which I do not, will your ISP still give you a warning before they release your IP? Right now they give out warnings right?
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
    So if a guy torrents, which I do not, will your ISP still give you a warning before they release your IP? Right now they give out warnings right?
    They basically forward an automated cease and desist request on behalf of the rights holder. It's an email generated by bots that troll torrent swarms. It goes to shaw, shaw forwards to you.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

;Hey budday fuck you, we like privacy over here".
    Stick of Truth reference A+

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

As expected, no panic.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...are-tinkering/

ECU/Chip tunes are safe.

Woo!

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

As expected, no panic.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...are-tinkering/

ECU/Chip tunes are safe.
    That's because V.W paid for it.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg