Quantcast
How good is the Costco 5 Year Road Hazard Tire Warranty - Winter Tires? where else ? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: How good is the Costco 5 Year Road Hazard Tire Warranty - Winter Tires? where else ?

Default How good is the Costco 5 Year Road Hazard Tire Warranty - Winter Tires? where else ?

I need winter tires for 2 cars:

1) 2001 honda civic 4 door (maybe model is LX?)

2) 2006 chevy impala 4 door LT

Seems like everywhere has the same price give or take, so i figured Costco has the best warranty when it comes to regular shit, what about tires?

One place i havnt checked the price at is with Urban X tires... (if they answer their phone i'll call them tmr lol). Its too far now to just stop by and find out lol.

Mostly looking at Michelin X-Ice Xi3 or Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 (dont need anything crazy, just reliable. Will be driving on deerfoot from airdrie to calgary a lot and the random shit piles of snow in communities, no gravel roads and shit like that lol)

Anyone bought tires from costco and have experience using their 5 year road hazard warranty?

1) What happened for you to use their warranty? (nail in tire, other tire damage due to some shit on the road, etc?)

2) What did Costco do for the warranty? (replace, give credit, give the run around, etc?)

3) Was the outcome satisfactory? (or did you waste your time thinking costco's tire road hazard warranty would be worth it?)

Cheers and thanks for any help provided
    Last edited by EK69; 10-24-2015 at 11:36 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

My experience with them (Beacon Hill) is:

1) They are too busy to do anything right, took them 2 tries to balance correctly.

2) Don't bother have them do anything for warranty issue during winter tire seasons. They don't promise time to fix. They will get to it when they get to it after all the scheduled installs are done. It may take up to 4-6 business days.

3) Don't bother calling, they don't have a number. They don't answer it either.

Price, they are pretty good. But in expense of sanity. I much rather deal with Urban X.

Agree with Xtrema, Urban X for me as since 2010. UX came through and made good on a set of bad tires from the factory when the maker walked away. So I'm a customer for life. CostCo is a zone of pain for tires from what family members tell me. Winter tires I'd not expect to get five good years wear, three and I sell them. Winter is not the time to go worn and cheap on tires. Is there a season?

I upgraded to these studded (from factory) Gislaved NordFrost 5 last year, terrific tires IMO and a really good value. Not noisy at all compared to my General Tire winters from previous use, I'd say about the same.

Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 10-24-2015 at 12:41 PM.

My Ride
    2.4L DC5 Turbo/W208

I'd say, just go to whatever place gives you the best service, they might be a little bit more but easier to deal with.

there is no real reason to go with Costco vs any other place, other than me thinking the costco warranty and handling of issues is pretty good when it comes to items they sell, so I figured the same might go for their tires also?

But yeah i was at beacon hill and thought i would ask them for a quote while shopping there. They quoted me $640.xx all in for the 2001 honda civic LX (185 70 R14) michelin xice xi3 tires only, but their own website gives me $525.96 after install ($15 per tire) and tire levy ($4 per tire) and -$70 michelin rebate.... so thats giving me a feeling of "fuck costco" right off the bat since their own ppl cant even give me a correct price? lol

Does Urban X offer tire repair and stuff too? (if i get a nail, other shit on the road causes damage, etc)

These tires are going on the rims currently on the car, so Urban X would probably mount the tires and take off the current rubber right? And when spring comes, would Urban X be able to remount the all seasons back onto the rims and take the winters off? (is there a cost for this? or is it included in the price?)

cheers

I wish urban X had a website where you could look up tire prices like the other stores do i guess ill just do the online get a quote thing for now
    Last edited by EK69; 10-24-2015 at 11:40 AM.

Default Re: How good is the Costco 5 Year Road Hazard Tire Warranty - Winter Tires? where else ?

Originally posted by EK69

Anyone bought tires from costco and have experience using their 5 year road hazard warranty?
    Yes, I bought 4 tires for my 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 about 18 months ago.

1) What happened for you to use their warranty? (nail in tire, other tire damage due to some shit on the road, etc?)
    Screw in tire.

2) What did Costco do for the warranty? (replace, give credit, give the run around, etc?)
    As it was just a screw in the face of the tire, they unmounted tire, repaired with a plug patch, remounted tire, rebalanced. I also had them rotate the tires as it was close to the scheduled time/mileage for rotation.

3) Was the outcome satisfactory? (or did you waste your time thinking costco's tire road hazard warranty would be worth it?)
    Absolutely happy. They were able to get me in the second day after I called them (called on a Tuesday, got it repaired Thursday). No charge for any of it as it was all covered under warranty.

I can understand that if it were a tire failure that required a completely new tire that they may not have been able to get me in that quickly because they may not have that specific tire style and size in stock at the store and may have to pull it in from a warehouse. In my experience, that's no different than many other tire stores. Maybe I just have always had less popular styles/sizes of tires?

My experiences were also with the Beacon store, BTW.

I originally went with Costco because their price on a set of 4 tires, out-the-door, was $150 cheaper than the next closest price, and they were able to get me in as fast or faster.

We absolutely fix our customers tires for free. We are old school and do not favour internet business. Doesn't work for some but that is okay. It work very well for our people who prefer dealing with a person. Always, and especially during the busy season, the person standing in front of us gets our full attention. When they are dealt with then the phones get taken care of. When the people in front and the phones go silent, then e-mails get dealt with. Quite frankly, that is almost never at this time of year because there are almost always people in front of us and the phone never stops ringing.I only have time to answer this because I am away from the office today.

We work by dedicated appointment and you arrive and are gone in 30 to 60 minutes 99% of the time (sometimes things can make us fall a bit behind but it is pretty rare). I have never been further behind than an hour in 8 years. Our customers deal with us because we are honest, straight shooters who care more about working with them properly and concern ourselves more with their best interests than our bottom line. We are not really interested in just being the cheapest because we offer more than just a product. Rarely are we out to lunch on pricing with anything, but our client base was built on more than simply price. If that sounds good to you, wr are your people. If it doesn't suit your expectations as a customer, there are zero hard feeling and we understand our way is not everybodies cup of tea...

I had a screw in my tire and called urban x (south) if they could do me a solid favor as it was close to closing time, I brought the loose tire 15minutes to closing and they repaired at no cost. Not only that they accommodated me in a pinch, they were very pleasant given it was so late in day. I dealt with bob also a few years back with no issues but the south location is just closer to home

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Tirebomb takes care of his customers. It's a scientific fact.

My Ride
    G37X

+1 for UrbanX. Only dealt with the south shop but have all good experiences there.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Default Re: How good is the Costco 5 Year Road Hazard Tire Warranty - Winter Tires? where else ?

Since the original topic is about Costco,

I was driving down Deerfoot during rush hour on the way to see a client when my car started rumbling. I pulled over to find my rear driver's side tire had exploded.

I got a complete replacement. Only had to pay for the tread wear and tire levy. Since my tire was practically brand new, it only set me back $7.

I was extremely pleased with my outcome.

My tire was practically brand new with about 4000KM on them. When I inspected the tire, I didn't find any punctures in the tread and I'm pretty anal about monitoring tire pressure. Only conclusion I came to was it was a factory defect.

I went to Costco the next morning, got in line, and explained what happened. I was expecting to do a whole song and dance to convince them I didn't do anything wrong but they ordered me a replacement without even looking at the tire.

They told me I wouldn't get the replacement for at least a month, which was understandable because this happened at the start of the winter tire rush, but I got a call in less than 2 weeks saying the tire was in. I didn't even have to wait long to get the tire mounted.

Originally posted by tirebob
    We absolutely fix our customers tires for free. We are old school and do not favour internet business. Doesn't work for some but that is okay. It work very well for our people who prefer dealing with a person. Always, and especially during the busy season, the person standing in front of us gets our full attention. When they are dealt with then the phones get taken care of. When the people in front and the phones go silent, then e-mails get dealt with. Quite frankly, that is almost never at this time of year because there are almost always people in front of us and the phone never stops ringing.I only have time to answer this because I am away from the office today.

We work by dedicated appointment and you arrive and are gone in 30 to 60 minutes 99% of the time (sometimes things can make us fall a bit behind but it is pretty rare). I have never been further behind than an hour in 8 years. Our customers deal with us because we are honest, straight shooters who care more about working with them properly and concern ourselves more with their best interests than our bottom line. We are not really interested in just being the cheapest because we offer more than just a product. Rarely are we out to lunch on pricing with anything, but our client base was built on more than simply price. If that sounds good to you, wr are your people. If it doesn't suit your expectations as a customer, there are zero hard feeling and we understand our way is not everybodies cup of tea...

Thanks for the lengthy and detailed response

i did get a set of tires from you guys at the NE location (can't remember the name, sorry lol) and you guys were on my list of places to check out. I just did some preliminary narrowing down online by checking out the prices at each store, reading about the tires, etc. Just haven't had a chance to come down yet (i remember reading threads on here about you guys, and it totally makes sense the order in which you deal with customers).

So far I have narrowed it down to a few tires based on light internet research (how good that is...well who knows) but I will be coming down probably Tues to get a quote for the 2 cars (along with what you guys think about what winter tire to get etc)

And, personally, I would much rather deal with Urban X also vs a big box shop who has tons of customers etc who might (like someone said earlier in the thread) not take the proper amount of time to do something right (especially balance a tire, I think that is pretty important?). Along with believing in supporting the individual business vs a big box store who doesnt give a shit about ppl. Thats why the only big box store I thought it would be worth getting other ppl's input on is costco, usually they treat the customers right and dont give them the run around.

1) Michelin X-ice Xi3
    2) Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 (better than ws70 i read)
    3) General Altimax Arctic (reading rfd they seem to love this tire lol)

don't need any "performance" winter tire stuff, as its just a honda civic and impala. Other recommendations are appreciated

Thanks for the input so far guys

My Ride
    bus

I buy all my tires from tirebomb. His prices are reasonable and has great guys working there.

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

I purchased my wheels (not tires) from Urban X, had a nail that got into them (255/35zr19), so most common tire shops and AMA won't touch low profile tires.

I called up Urban X fully expecting to pay for the patch job. They simply confirmed that I had bought the rims there, set an appointment same day, then patched up the tire and left it for me within an hour or two at no charge! Great service there.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I went in yesterday, unannounced, and saw bob at urban because of a slow tire leak. Turns out I had picked up a small finishing nail in my winters.

Bob patched it for me, and I was out of there in about 30 minutes, and didn't have to touch my wallet.

Seriously, Bob and his crew are top notch. Going anywhere else, you are setting yourself up for grief.

Period.

/thread
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Tirebomb!

Not the cheapest but excellent customer service. Get all my tires from them and my parents do now as well. I have no idea why anyone would want to deal with the Costco cluster fuck frankly. Not only were they having people line up at 6:00 AM but half the people in the tire shop are morons. Would not go there for tires period. I value my sanity more than saving a few dollars. Support Tirebomb!