Quantcast
The coin car wash brush did the deed.. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The coin car wash brush did the deed..

Default The coin car wash brush did the deed..

So I took my car for a coin wash the other day for the first time ever and I used the car wash brush to clean it using their foam. It never occurred to me that I should have washed the brush before using it on my car. And lo and behold, the paint ended up with minor scratches on some prominent places on the body. I am really regretting using the coin wash brush. Can someone tell me what can I do to get rid of those scratch marks? Is there a wax that will "fill" them or make them invisible for good?

PS. The paint colour is black.

Thank you guys!

You'll get burnt once by a brush and never use one again. NEVER AGAIN! Scratched my car to the primer on one area a few years ago.

I think I saw some coloured wax at Canadian Tire. Black ought to be an easy cover up with the right wax. Try and avoid scratch cover up in the bottle as it never looks right.

Sorry to hear that dude.
    I'll always remember my dad taught me never to use those brushes as a kid, never have, never will, for exactly this reason.

That's all I got. Unlucky way to learn

Couple options

1) Head down to Canadian tire and pick up some Meguiars Ultimate polish and have at er by hand which will get the minor swirls out. Wax.

2) Order in some poorboys blackhole glaze, apply, then wax over it which will give a couple months temporary fix.

3) Buy buffer or take it to a sponsor? And get it compounded out.
    Last edited by Matty_10; 10-24-2015 at 10:46 PM.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by Matty_10
    Couple options

1) Head down to Canadian tire and pick up some Meguiars Ultimate polish and have at er by hand which will get the minor swirls out. Wax.

2) Order in some poorboys blackhole glaze, apply, then wax over it which will give a couple months temporary fix.

I agree, I think this is a good fix.

If getting the Poorboys glaze is a total pain, I would consider getting Meguiars Ultimate Paste Wax.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

I've actually walked up to people at Big Bucket to explain to them why not to use the brush. Dudes are pretty receptive, women couldn't give two shits.

The swirls in a black car should be able to be polished out without much difficulty, elbow grease but not difficult.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

As a car lover, I cringe every time I see people using the brush on the paint. Even if the brush is clean, it is not good for the paint finish. When you think that the brush is meant for the tires/wheels or the undercarriage of the vehicle, it is a no brainer to not use it on any painted surface... might as well use a course sand paper.

Exactly. Never use the brush! Even if it looks clean. I took my car to Jed at Mobile Reflections to get out swirl marks and what not. (Not from a car was brush tho.)

My Ride
    Ford F150

Sadly the brush is needed to get vehicles clean sometimes.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I use the brush on my cx9, but it is a vehicle that I don't deem required to have a pristine finish. Switched to touchless washes for my Infiniti - though they don't do as good of a job.

When I DO use the brush, I always hit it with the high pressure spray first. I know I can't get all the shit out of there, but it ought to help.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
    I always keep some microfibre cloths in the glovebox, and only use the "brush" to pour soap over the car.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

I've used the brush on my girlfriends car... because she NEVER washes it. Like maybe once a year... somehow still one of the best shape sunfires I've seen. But it's white and the paint doesn't matter. Only way to sort of get it clean.

Other than that... sometimes on my trucks wheels or cover.
    But yeah, shouldn't use the brush.

You could go down to Canadian tire and get a buffer. I'm pretty happy with my porter cable orbital polisher. I clay bar'd the mustang then quickly went over it with compound and polish. Hit it with some meguairs wax before the Driven show. Made my imperfect home paint job look decent.
    Last edited by NoPulp; 10-25-2015 at 02:43 PM.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I would never use the brush. I understand you'd need some agitation to get it to be actually clean, but what I would do is just use the foam brush for the soap and hang it over the car with one hand while I use a microfibre wash mitt on the other hand to spread the foam and softly scrub it on the car. Then rinse. Way better for the paint since the wash mitt is much softer but still provides the agitation.

I do this maybe 2-3 times a year, maybe more on the rims. Rest of the time pressure washer is more than enough.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Another option is spray the vehicle down with soap using the wane and use waterless wash solution.

There isn't a "quick" fix for this. If you don't want to spend a lot of money and you don't have a gym membership, you can fix this for under $30 (if your pain't isn't too hard).

Run to Walmart and pick this up:
    http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/meguiars.../6000016937578
    All you need is some good foam pads or microfiber pads if you can find them.
    http://www.amazon.ca/Meguiars-W0004-...words=foam+pad

Then rub like hell... I would recommend working in straight lines, there is no need to rub it in circles. You'll want to be pushing down on the pad with 5 to 10lb of pressure in order to work in the polish. It will take you quite a while to do the entire car. You could also pick up one of these DA power systems for your drill, but I haven't heard amazing things about them. This will fix the scratches for good. If you want just a marginal improvement, most waxes will fill in the scratches but it won't last more than a few months.

Originally posted by Disoblige
    I would never use the brush. I understand you'd need some agitation to get it to be actually clean, but what I would do is just use the foam brush for the soap and hang it over the car with one hand while I use a microfibre wash mitt on the other hand to spread the foam and softly scrub it on the car. Then rinse. Way better for the paint since the wash mitt is much softer but still provides the agitation.

I do this maybe 2-3 times a year, maybe more on the rims. Rest of the time pressure washer is more than enough.

you also spray the brush with the pressure washer to rid rocks. better not use the brush at all, if you have to, this is better solution than nothing

My Ride
    '16 Civic

Presoak people, it's like putting your dishes in a tub of soapy water. Give it a minute to sit and it does wonders with how much shit it can take off. Then use a high pressure soap and the works.

Clean your cars often too. The cleanest vehicles are usually the ones washed often and have preventative measures to stuff like heavy grime.
    2016 Honda Civic Touring

Originally posted by Matty_10

Thank you for your replies so far guys. Sounds like Meguiar is a tested means to get the job done if you experts are recommending it.

What's is a buffer anyway? And how do you get a sponsor? That sounds interesting. Might be worth a try.

My Ride
    '16 Golf TSI

The poorboys glaze looks like great stuff, I wish I'd have seen that when the paint on my black car was messed up. Wasn't even a brush that did it - just a clean hand wash mitt on a car that hadn't been washed with the wand enough beforehand... I ended up scratching THE HELL out of it by working small bits of dirt and grit back and forth on the poor car. I almost started crying as I was rinsing the car off.

I think that was my last black car. I just can't handle the stress.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
    The brush is never, ever needed to get vehicles clean. May as well take sandpaper to your paint if you are going to use the brush. There is no point in doing a contact wash in the winter as there's just too much road debris until late spring. All winter just do proper non-contact wand washes then do a proper 2 bucket wash with proper wash mitts and microfiber rags in the spring and your paint will still look as good as when the car was new.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast