Default Oneplus X

Finally announced and confirmed.

https://oneplus.net/ca_en/x/specs

Starts at 329.

Need to replace my Nexus4

Think this will be my choice.

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

I've been keeping an eye on this one as well. Sounds like it won't be available for North American order until the 11th though.

Those are some really weak specs IMHO. A 2 year old processor, old slow RAM, year old gorilla glass, slower aperture camera, no wireless AC, no 5.4 Ghz wireless, etc. Seems like they just dug to the bottom of their old parts bin and made a phone haha. I must say it looks better than any other of the one plus' though.

CND price.

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Those are some really weak specs IMHO. A 2 year old processor, old slow RAM, year old gorilla glass, slower aperture camera, no wireless AC, no 5.4 Ghz wireless, etc. Seems like they just dug to the bottom of their old parts bin and made a phone haha. I must say it looks better than any other of the one plus' though.
    Pretty much sums up all of the 'mini' phones on the market today.

Not everyone wants to drop $1000 for a phone to act as a handheld gaming console or to shoot a wedding.

Some people are fine with a phone that makes phone calls, sends texts/emails and browsing the occasional website.

This phone is at a price point for people who want a phone that is a decent phone.

As long as I can call/text/email/snap some pics, watch youtube and surf the web I am content.

Originally posted by My_name_is_Rob

Pretty much sums up all of the 'mini' phones on the market today.
    5" isn't 'mini', it's pretty much the new standard size, and bigger than the very popular iPhone 6/6S. Almost every phone these days is 4.7" - 5.2" and then you have one size up coming in at 5.5"-5.7"

It's cheap but too close to the price of way better phones IMHO. Nobody is comparing this to $1,000 phones. If you're just after basic functionality, why not grab a mint used phone or a 1-2 year old flagship? Some of the specs on this thing are pre-2012, older than the phone the OP is replacing haha.

The phone looks great physically, I just think you can get a way better phone for similar money.

if its new Im all ears??

All these manufactures are crazy. I still dont understand how a cell phone can cost more than a tablet.

I think they are probably the most overpriced electronic devices in history.

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

5" isn't 'mini', it's pretty much the new standard size, and bigger than the very popular iPhone 6/6S. Almost every phone these days is 4.7" - 5.2" and then you have one size up coming in at 5.5"-5.7"

The phone looks great physically, I just think you can get a way better phone for similar money.
    Dammit! You're right. I was all excited because I thought it was supposed to be a bit smaller than the majority of the phones today. I just sized it up, and its only a hair smaller than the S6 or M9.

Originally posted by My_name_is_Rob

Dammit! You're right. I was all excited because I thought it was supposed to be a bit smaller than the majority of the phones today. I just sized it up, and its only a hair smaller than the S6 or M9.
    Yeah there aren't really many truly small phones left anymore (like 4" screen size), there are a few out there but they are rare and not from the "major" brands most people use. The iPhone with a 4.7" screen is one of the smallest screens, but the phone itself has ridiculous bezels and is as big as all the 5.0-5.2" screen phones, so you don't save any physical size. Pretty much every phone that comes out these days is 5.0" or physically as large as a 5.0" screen phone even if the screen is smaller.

You could look at the Samsung Galaxy Alpha, Sony Xperia Compact variants, the older Moto G, Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini, etc. but they are not very common and don't have great specs if you're comparing them to something like the GS6.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by OU812
    I still dont understand how a cell phone can cost more than a tablet.
    Because the radio module costs more than wifi only...

Originally posted by jwslam

And comes with different licences, testing, and certification requirements.

Originally posted by jwslam

Originally posted by spike98

OK ill bite.

16GB iPad Air + Cell is 689.

16GB iPhone 6 is 769

dotn they have the same internals?

Originally posted by spike98

If that was the case you wouldn't be able to buy a OnePlus Two phone for less than half the price of an iPhone6S.

You can't tell me that the internals of an iPhone6S are that much more expensive.

It's not that simple, you can't just compare a few specs and decide phones should cost as much as tablets.

My understanding is that since tablets have more room to work with, companies can purchase cheaper(larger) silicon packages from suppliers, fewer specially designed parts, and use cheaper fabrication methods. Engineering is easier, and there are fewer constraints to work with in general. Larger batteries mean fewer constraints on things like power consumption. With phones you are dealing with the miniaturization of many things compared to tablets, which inherently requires more R&D, testing, engineering, higher cost, etc. to reach certain expectations and levels of performance. Phones also typically have way better camera tech than any tablet.

Phone-to-phone, there is less of a reason for the huge price variances and it has more to do with marketing, supply/demand, etc. You could argue R&D, licencing, engineering, etc. but it's tough to quantify that sort of thing and attach a dollar figure to it in the eyes of a consumer. The reason an iPhone costs double that of similar phones is because people buy them by the literal millions regardless of what Apple decides to charge for them, so the customer is the one telling Apple to go ahead and charge those crazy amounts at the end of the day - why wouldn't they?
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-29-2015 at 02:56 PM.

so Mitsu would a Moto G be a better choice?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Nobody is comparing this to $1,000 phones.
    Sure seems like you are.

If you're just after basic functionality, why not grab a mint used phone or a 1-2 year old flagship?
    You mean like a 1-2 year old phone that might not be getting further updates anymore? Something you'd have to buy off the used market?

I think the phone looks fine for the price and it's target audience. I don't need any of the stuff you're expecting them to include. You really think they're gonna put in all the latest and greatest specs and still charge $329 for it? This is a budget phone for people who don't care about that stuff or just want a simple phone for basic operation.

If my phone crapped out right now, I'd certainly consider this. I sure don't like spending more than a few hundred bucks every couple of years for a new phone.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Sure seems like you are.
    Nowhere have I even so much as hinted that he go spend $1,000 on a phone. I don't even buy $1,000 phones for myself haha.

He should just keep the Nexus 4 if he doesn't care about his cell phone and just wants to perform very basic tasks on it. The latest specs or operating system won't make any difference for those things. Alternatively he could sign a 2 year contract unless he plans on changing providers in the next 2 years, and get a much better phone for a lot less money than the OPX.

Anyway I am not looking to argue, the phone isn't for me. This phone is below the point of diminishing return IMHO. If you're happy with 2-4 year old hardware, I would just save the money altogether and keep your current phone instead of re-buying a prettier phone with most of the internals from roughly the same vintage. Nothing wrong with that.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

If my phone crapped out right now, I'd certainly consider this. I sure don't like spending more than a few hundred bucks every couple of years for a new phone.
    Phone contracts run out every 2 years, you shouldn't every have to ever spend more than a few hundred bucks for an outstanding phone every couple years. As much as I thought I loved being off contract, I have had the same provider for 8 years and the same plan for half that time, so there is little reason not tot just use the carrier discounts when you need an upgrade. If you smash your phone or something and are on an extremely tight budget, then sure I get it.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-29-2015 at 08:00 PM.

Nowhere have I even so much as hinted that he go spend $1,000 on a phone. I don't even buy $1,000 phones for myself haha.
    What kind of phone are you using right now?

Phone contracts run out every 2 years, you shouldn't every have to ever spend more than a few hundred bucks for an outstanding phone every couple years. As much as I thought I loved being off contract, I have had the same provider for 8 years and the same plan for half that time, so there is little reason not tot just use the carrier discounts when you need an upgrade. If you smash your phone or something and are on an extremely tight budget, then sure I get it.
    Not all of us want contracts. My wife and I haven't had contracts for years now. We prefer to buy our phones outright. So in this case. The OnePlusX is a great option for my wife.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast