Quantcast
Q: what years was asbestos used in homes in Calgary? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Q: what years was asbestos used in homes in Calgary?

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

Default Q: what years was asbestos used in homes in Calgary?

Just thought I'd posed the question to see what years of homes in Calgary are more likely to have asbestos in insulation, HVAC and flooring.

For those who had asbestos and have done renos. How much were remediation costs generally? $/ft^2 or $/m^2

My Ride
    A4/Tundra

We're in the process of a major main floor reno. House is early 60's and the ceiling stipple was tested and identified as asbestos. Instead of remediating, we were able to just add a drop ceiling over top and leave it as is (same cost, and we have a perfect ceiling). I also suspect the basement lino is as well but didnt test it.

Originally posted by idriveabox
    We're in the process of a major main floor reno. House is early 60's and the ceiling stipple was tested and identified as asbestos. Instead of remediating, we were able to just add a drop ceiling over top and leave it as is (same cost, and we have a perfect ceiling). I also suspect the basement lino is as well but didnt test it.
    Is this the law or are you just covering up a cancer risk? Wondering as I had not thought about such risks when looking at houses in BC during the summer. I bet the insurance company and mortgage holding bank would like to have a say.

I'll be more careful with my house considerations going forward. I hear the word asbestos and I'm outta there. I've had family members who worked long term in buildings from that era, more than a few have lung issues and they never smoked.
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 11-04-2015 at 05:58 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

If getting rid of the asbestos was the same price as a drop ceiling to cover it up why would you ever make the decision to cover it up?

Option 1 Pay X dollars to fix problem forever

Option 2 Pay same X dollars to put problem off for the future

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

if you dont disturb the asbestos then it is a non-issue...

after they "banned" the products with asbestos companies could still use their surplus, houses up till about 1980 have the potential to have it in them depending on when renos were done and everything else

there is also different levels of removal depending on which product contains the asbestos. ask jordan about the fun he had with the old boiler in the tear-down he bought

so yeah, cost is very dependent on the job at hand

losing ceiling height and having a dropped look for the same cost does sound silly though

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess

Is this the law or are you just covering up a cancer risk? Wondering as I had not thought about such risks when looking at houses in BC during the summer. I bet the insurance company and mortgage holding bank would like to have a say.

I'll be more careful with my house considerations going forward.
    if you dont touch it, it can stay there trouble free! the issue is the dust when inhaled stays in the lungs. also not sure why the fuck the bank or insurance company care... its fire resistant, and who gives a shit besides you or your loved ones about cancer? do they screen out smokers? no... so, i guess what im trying to say is, calm down... and hire a good home inspector if it worries you
    Last edited by ercchry; 11-04-2015 at 04:06 PM.

My Ride
    A4/Tundra

I guess I worded it poorly. The remediation only included the removal of a small section of the overall ceiling, it was the ' designer' stipple work that was asbestos. That cost was equal to an entire new drop ceiling on the main floor. So basically I could pay to remove it and then pay more to skim/repair and get it looking perfect or cover it all for the same price as the removal.

It won't be disturbed as Erchy mentioned. And this was at the recommendation of the asbestos co. I guess a future homeowner may run into but meh.

Originally posted by ercchry

if you dont touch it, it can stay there trouble free! the issue is the dust when inhaled stays in the lungs. also not sure why the fuck the bank or insurance company care... its fire resistant, and who gives a shit besides you or your loved ones about cancer? do they screen out smokers? no... so, i guess what im trying to say is, calm down... and hire a good home inspector if it worries you
    Obviously a bank would be concerned as it is a major negative to the value of the property, a insurance company/lawyer would care as asbestos fucks you up badly and people sue. I don't care what the government says, there are endless independent studies showing any amount of asbestos is unsafe. Home inspectors can only be sued up to the cost of their inspection, $500 in the case I know of and he missed $16,000 in needed repairs. But hey, here's your $500 back, have a nice day.

To not remove the asbestos is irresponsible and if you disagree, let's add some asbestos you your home over the weekend. It's fireproof, so you've got that going for you.
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 11-04-2015 at 06:08 PM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

From the government of AB website:

Asbestos is a group of naturally occurring minerals that was widely used to insulate buildings, piping and structures between from the 1950’s to mid 1970’s due to its non-combustibility and flame-retardant properties. Asbestos was also used as a reinforcing or binding agent in plastic, piping, cement and other construction materials due to its strength and flexibility.
    http://environment.gov.ab.ca/info/fa...6-Asbestos.asp

My Ride
    A4/Tundra

Take it up with the professional asbestos abatement company who recommended it stay

What's the difference, I moved in and had asbestos above my head as I watched tv. Was the previous owner irresponsible for not removing it?

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

when I sold my house, the inspector identified aspestos in the ceiling insulation of an extension in our house. Ended up splitting the cost 50/50 to have it professional removed from the price of the house. Cost was about $20/sqft to have it removed.

My Ride
    '20 SS 1LE

Originally posted by revelations
    From the government of AB website:

http://environment.gov.ab.ca/info/fa...6-Asbestos.asp
    Ecchry was right though, building materials containing asbestos were in products sold in AB up to 1981, and could be in houses built afterwards due to extra stock being used that wasn't caught during the build.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

To not remove the asbestos is irresponsible and if you disagree, let's add some asbestos you your home over the weekend. It's fireproof, so you've got that going for you.
    I disagree, actually. Asbestos is safe as long as it isn't disturbed. He has no more responsibility to remove it because he's doing a reno than anybody else has a responsibility to remove asbestos from the millions of homes across the country that used it in their original construction.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

there are endless independent studies showing any amount of asbestos is unsafe
    Links? I've never heard of this, only medium to long term exposure (ie people in the industry, and not joe-schmoe home owner who took down a wall one time)

Anytime from the early part of the 20th century to the mid 80's...Bonavista and area were the last subdivisions to use in in most forms...stipple,drywall mud,sheet flooring and stucco.
    I wont get into arguments about the health risks because they are as broad as smoking.
    There was a compulsory disclosure for asbestos for real estate sales in the late 90's but haven't heard about it since then.
    Last edited by englishbob; 11-09-2015 at 09:57 AM.