Quantcast
All Weather Tires? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: All Weather Tires?

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Default All Weather Tires?

I'm sorry if this has already been posted, my quick search yielded nothing. And sorry for the newb question.

Just about to close the deal on a 2015 Sierra All Terrain and my question is with regards to tires. I know a thing or two about winter tires and performance tires but almost nothing about truck tires. For those that want the best compromise for a passenger car there are all weather tires, Nokian shines in this department. Is there anything similar for pick-up trucks? Don't want to deal with the hassle of swapping winter tires or wheels & tires on the truck and would ideally only have one good set. For the really crappy and icy days I've got my Volvo on studded tires but for the other 95% of winter this would be the vehicle of choice for my wife and I. If I had to rate the importance of what I want in the tire it would go:

1. Adverse Conditions Stopping Distance (Wet/Ice/Snow)
    2. Dry Stopping Distance
    3. Tire Noise
    4. Tire Wear

My Google search yielded the Toyo Open Country C/T which seems a bit extreme as this truck will likely never go off road.

Call Bob, he knows nothing of pottery but excels in all things tire.

Default Re: All Weather Tires?

Originally posted by 94boosted
    I'm sorry if this has already been posted, my quick search yielded nothing. And sorry for the newb question.

Just about to close the deal on a 2015 Sierra All Terrain and my question is with regards to tires. I know a thing or two about winter tires and performance tires but almost nothing about truck tires. For those that want the best compromise for a passenger car there are all weather tires, Nokian shines in this department. Is there anything similar for pick-up trucks? Don't want to deal with the hassle of swapping winter tires or wheels & tires on the truck and would ideally only have one good set. For the really crappy and icy days I've got my Volvo on studded tires but for the other 95% of winter this would be the vehicle of choice for my wife and I. If I had to rate the importance of what I want in the tire it would go:

2. Dry Stopping Distance
    3. Tire Noise
    4. Tire Wear

My Google search yielded the Toyo Open Country C/T which seems a bit extreme as this truck will likely never go off road.
    my only apprehensions with going with a full winter tire, is how fast they wear on a vehicle that weights upwards of 8000lbs (5500-8000+ from a gas half ton to a long box crew cab diesel)

On a good 4x4 with snowflake rated A/T tires, you should be quite good in most winter conditions

an example would be the LTX M/S, Toyo AT/2, Wild Country XTX, Duratrac, and lesser but still admirable BFG AT 2, and General Grabber AT2

a better than normal A/T would likely be the new Cooper carried at Canadian tire which is the AT/W?

Even the Nokian LT2 isn't really a full out winter tire.

I know a friend who had the goodyear ice grip, and basically wore down to half by the end of one season on a F150

I run a studded set of Duratrac year round, and they are holding up, yet are more than adequate in the winter.

are they as good as my Winters on my volvo? well not at stopping

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

i was very happy with the performance of my BFG KO2s last winter. got me through 2 blizzards on highway 1 with no issues. they are even severe winter rated.

Originally posted by ShermanEF9
    i was very happy with the performance of my BFG KO2s last winter. got me through 2 blizzards on highway 1 with no issues. they are even severe winter rated.
    they would be awesome.

just I think the LTX M/S and the new cooper AT/W would be even better in the All Terrain space.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Tire rack survey is a decent source. On my half ton a good AT tire is my pick. The Goodyear wrangler all terrain with kevlar is my top pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Default Re: Re: All Weather Tires?

Originally posted by r3ccOs

a better than normal A/T would likely be the new Cooper carried at Canadian tire which is the AT/W?

Valid point about the weight never really thought of it.

Are you saying that an AT/W tire is to a light truck as All Weather is to a car?

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Default Re: All Weather Tires?

Originally posted by 94boosted

2. Dry Stopping Distance
    3. Tire Noise
    4. Tire Wear

What does the All Terrain trim come with tire wise? I have stock Michelin LTX A/T2 and used them last winter. They were ok but I'm used to driving small cars with dedicated snow tires so this winter I'm putting studded snow tires on the Tundra.

If you have another car that you can take on really bad days you may be able to just leave the stock tires on the truck if the All Terrain trim comes with all terrain tires?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I went to an Michelin event at the end of August. They were introducing the new Defender LTX M/S which is a replacement for the LTX M/S2. http://www.beyond.ca/michelin-introd...-ms/53060.html

Speaking with the engineers, they said that the only truck tire they have that will work in winter as well is the BFG KO2. The Defender line (LTX) is not meant to run in winter.

I wouldn't be concerned too much about if you go off-road, but more about the traction you get in ice and snow.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by Aleks

What does the All Terrain trim come with tire wise? I have stock Michelin LTX A/T2 and used them last winter. They were ok but I'm used to driving small cars with dedicated snow tires so this winter I'm putting studded snow tires on the Tundra.

If you have another car that you can take on really bad days you may be able to just leave the stock tires on the truck if the All Terrain trim comes with all terrain tires?
    I believe they come with Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's, from what I've read it's not a great tire.

Originally posted by benyl
    I went to an Michelin event at the end of August. They were introducing the new Defender LTX M/S which is a replacement for the LTX M/S2. http://www.beyond.ca/michelin-introd...-ms/53060.html

Speaking with the engineers, they said that the only truck tire they have that will work in winter as well is the BFG KO2. The Defender line (LTX) is not meant to run in winter.

I wouldn't be concerned too much about if you go off-road, but more about the traction you get in ice and snow.
    But reading this about the Defender LTX M/S "Defender LTX M/S is not a winter tire. One of the product managers joked that M/S stands for Multi-Surface, not “Mud + Snow.”" makes it seem like it's not what I'm looking for.

I don't care at all about off-road performance only ice & snow traction.

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

I went with the Cooper Discoverer AT-W. It is a winter rated all season. Only available at Canadian tire. So far so good.

http://tires.canadiantire.ca/en/tire...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I also checked out the Nokian Rotivas. However the service from Kal tire was horrible, so I refused to spend any money there.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Duratracs or the Toyo OC AT2. Ran both on Sierras and both were pretty equal. Both wearing great as well, just keep up with rotations.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    2002 330xi, 1992 Miata, 1996 Spec Miata, 2012 Ram

Originally posted by Redlined_8000
    I went with the Cooper Discoverer AT-W. It is a winter rated all season. Only available at Canadian tire. So far so good.
    I just picked up a set of these as well, make sure you get the LT ones and not the car tires of the same size, not all the Canadian Tire workers seem to pick up on that right away.

My Ride
    E90, FD, STI

If you care about ice traction you should really bite the bullet and buy a 2nd set of wheels and winter tires imo, or just leave the winters on all year as your primary tire. The first time you tag someone’s rear end even in the most minor hit, you just lost far more than a set of winters cost. A vehicle I’m driving 95% of the winter, I wouldn’t even consider not having winters on it. Not because not having winters is instant death, but because not having winters is a huge handicap when most other people have them. Why would you want to have your stopping distances much worse than most other people on the road? You’re setting yourself up for rear ending someone imo.

The only all-weather tire I’ve ever liked has been a Nokian too. The rest to date have seemed more like glorified all-seasons to me. I haven’t tried any ones that recently came out though.

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

Originally posted by Stuart

I just picked up a set of these as well, make sure you get the LT ones and not the car tires of the same size, not all the Canadian Tire workers seem to pick up on that right away.
    Yup good call... Mine is the 6 ply tire for trucks.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I'm a big fan of the Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor. I Had them on a different truck a bunch of years ago and just replaced the BFGs on my current truck to these Goodyears. Best all around combination of quiet ride with better than average snow & ice traction. The DuraTracs are too damn noisy.
    Last edited by Masked Bandit; 11-05-2015 at 06:11 PM.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    I'm a big fan of the Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor. I Had them on a different truck a bunch of years ago and just replaced the BFGs on my current truck to these Goodyears. Best all around combination of quiet ride with better than average snow & ice traction. The DuraTracs are too damn noisy.
    my buddy has the silent armours for his normal 3 season and the ultra ice grip in the winter on his f150

a HUGE difference between the two.

my duratrac's with the stud's are comparable to the silent armours, which are also winter severe rated, but way better in the deep stuff.

Last edited by Cos; 12-21-2016 at 10:48 AM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

On my F-150 I have Pirelli Scorpions for 3 seasons, and Blizzaks for Winter. AS good as any "all-season" tire is...they simply do not compare to winter tires. You're settling if you're looking for all-seasons in the winter. That being said, I'm sure there are some good ones. I had the Goodyear Wrangler's on my SUV in the past as all seasons and they did pretty good. Nice ride too.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

Originally posted by Cos
    I've run winters on my truck and I don't know what I am going to do when they run out. I may swap my Toyo AT2's on early this spring to 'try' it out but I definitely appreciate the traction, especially with how light the rear end of my truck is.

As for the wear, I haven't really noticed. I used to have a 22km commute to work on the highway and this is my 3rd or 4th year with Toyo Observe-GSI's but I do think they are done this year.
    I don't have the quick stats on me, but I don't believe the weight balance on a supercrew short box is nearly as bad as one would think... like 58/42...

any snowflake rated A/T is going to be very decent in the Winter, especially on a heavy truck.

Full Winters are even better, but you'd better pony up more $$$ for the wear

those pirelli's are like driving on plastic tricycle tires. Keep them for towing, and swap them at the first sign of single digit temps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast