Quantcast
Royal Canadian Mint - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Royal Canadian Mint

Default Royal Canadian Mint

Is there money to me made by "investing" with coins from the mint?

For example:

http://www.mint.ca/store/coin/gold-k...3#.UIS8zoZU2So

Thats pretty baller and obviously if gold increases in value a 1 kg coin is going to help.

Browsing through the shop there are a lots of coins sold out.

Is collecting a posible way of making money (long term) or are there that many coin collectors out there?

Thoughts?

Scotiabank sells gold for the purpose of investing

http://www.scotiamocatta.com/products/bar_gold.htm

Might be better value for money than from the mint. You pay a collector premium from the mint.

My Ride
    Ferd Fteen Thousand

$69'000

Don't drop that down the sewer. Those coins price are greatly influenced by the collectors value then the market price of gold.

I don't know about the cheaper stuff, but I'd imagine it wouldn't be hard to sell a $69'000 coin for more down the road.

Originally posted by Destinova403
    Scotiabank sells gold for the purpose of investing

http://www.scotiamocatta.com/products/bar_gold.htm

Might be better value for money than from the mint. You pay a collector premium from the mint.
    There are cheaper options than Scotia. Silver Gold Bull charges less and is located in Alberta as well.

Numismatic value is a vanity game.

Its much like paintings nowadays, one person can spend $120 million on a painting - but you do have to ask yourself is it really worth that amount.

If you have to ask "is it a good investment", looking to actualy get more money down the road later - than you probably should just stick to bullion.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

collecting anything is a risky business.

When selling anything, your item is only going to be worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

While you may think that something is a sure bet, something could happen where it's worth will plummet.

Buying gold for the sake of saying you own gold is not worth it IMO, and you would be better served with putting your money elsewhere.

A lot of the stuff the Mint sells, is grossly overpriced, to the point that values need to tripple in most cases for you to break even. Those collector sets are targeting the same people the shop at home network does, and coin sellers.

If you want to own physical gold, buy physical gold bars instead. much easier to move should the need arise.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

also, just an FYI...

1Kg of gold is 32.15 troy ounces. at the spot price right now of $1723.20/oz, that coin is only worth $55,400.88, so purchase that coin, and over pay $14,000 of your hard earned money.

to break even on it, gold needs to climb to $2146.19/oz
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Most of the stuff the mint "advertises" is overpriced.

The bullion that they produce is sold at spot plus a few dollars through distribution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Silver_Maple_Leaf

23 million silver maple leaves, 23 million ounces were made and sold last year (sold to demand) as standard bullion.

By comparison, they made 99 million pure nickels (15 million ounces) in 1981, the last year that a pure 5 cent nickel nickel was made.

Gold is good for those who intend to "run" with their money if things should start to go bad. Copper is actually better for those who intend to try and tough it out, and "stay" if things go bad. In Canada, I actually think nickel and copper are much better investments (where would you run to that would actually be "better"?). In North Korea, Iraq, Greece, Italy, and Spain gold is a much better investment.

IE: Unless someone brings a forklift, stealing $8,000 worth of loose pennies is difficult. But guarding a few ounces of gold can actually be quite difficult. And yet, two pounds of copper pennies will almost assuredly always buy a two pound chicken no matter what happens to a fiat dollar.

Would Khadafi have been better off with 144 tons of nickel, instead of 144 tons of gold? Who knows, all I know is that gold tends to attract a lot of unwanted attention.

If gasoline starts to go over $10 per gallon (like the UK) people will stop driving their cars, in which case most cars will basically become inanimate objects that decay and rust, and will revert to its one ton or iron value, or maybe $100. One ton of copper pennies could be worth 80x an average car? Could happen... Depends on oil price mainly.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 10-22-2012 at 07:13 AM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

You can get 1 kilo of gold around town today for about $55-56,000. The RCM is selling it for $69,000. No thanks. Don’t dabble in numismatic unless you know what you’re doing. It’s like watching Wayne Gretzky make millions off his Honus Wagner then going out and buying a bunch of random 1990s baseball cards in hopes of making the same score he did. RCM stuff is like the crap you get from the TV labeled as “collectible” Nothing labelled as ‘collectible’ has ever, or will ever be collectible.

My Ride
    Accord

That guy from pawn stars put it pretty clearly: Anything thats built to be "collectible" will never be collectible. If you want gold for investment purposes I'd just stick with the bullion..

Its true, almost noone "collects" gold. Noone "collects" nickel either. Both are seen more as real money in that respect that they are hoarded for weight. Its probably why the Canadian dollar was between 7.0 grams and 15.62 grams of nickel for 44 years.

Silver and copper coins from circulation currency are both collectable however, and can be valued a little bit more like baseball cards.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 10-22-2012 at 09:15 AM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    '01 B15 Sentra & '10 C11X Versa 6Sp 5Dr

I like gold and silver for other reasons. Not so much as to prepare for Armageddon or as a collectible, but to leave behind and pass on objects of value. Watches and other items are nice, but to me nothing beats the longevity of gold and silver. Countries and currency comes and goes, but Pirate silver coins are still worth a pretty penny. Gold after thousands of years still shine like a mofo. Things that have intrinsic value to me will withstand the test of time. I want that kind of stuff as family heirlooms to pass down.
    Someday we may need to activate the halo structure off Deerfoot and destroy the North East.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-11-2019 at 09:06 AM.

My Ride
    240sx with SR

Go to silvergoldbull.com for all your PM needs, Calgary company too. They are confidential and great to deal with.

On the other hand, scotia was a bitch and very unconfidential.

Originally posted by Beerking
    Go to silvergoldbull.com for all your PM needs, Calgary company too. They are confidential and great to deal with.

On the other hand, scotia was a bitch and very unconfidential.
    Gold is beyond my (and most probably's) reach. Is there money to be made in silver bullion over the long term?

The Elephant in the room; IF the currency collapses, guess what? Gold/silver/nickel will be worthless.

"OH! You could buy bread with gold!" Really? Why do you think so? You might get one slice of bread out of pity for an ounce or a pound of gold.

If you're worried about 'food', why not be self sufficient and grow your own? Or hoard food?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by dawerks
    The Elephant in the room; IF the currency collapses, guess what? Gold/silver/nickel will be worthless.

"OH! You could buy bread with gold!" Really? Why do you think so? You might get one slice of bread out of pity for an ounce or a pound of gold.

If you're worried about 'food', why not be self sufficient and grow your own? Or hoard food?
    Many people believe gold is the safe bet for currency collapse. You see investors rushing to gold when the USD drops.

But what many people forget. Something is only worth [/b]what someone else is willing to pay for it.[/b]

Gold is just like any other commodity traded out there, and carries the same risk associated with it as any other traded stock. In times of hardship, do you really think you are going to sell your $1700 gold coin, when most people would rather be using their cash to make a mortgage payment, get gas, buy food?

So when money is scarce, people are not going to be able to afford to give you $1700. you are going to have to sell it for less when you need the cash for an emergency. It is worth what someone else is willing to pay for it at any given time.

People are silly in this regard. I understand the thinking behind it, but it is fallible just like anything else. Gold is an extravagance that really has no real world value.
    Last edited by spikerS; 11-01-2012 at 11:45 AM.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by dawerks

Currency collapse does not equal Armageddon. Every currency in history has collapsed or will eventually collapse. The only thing that will hold it’s value as money is gold. Why? Because it has unique properties that make it ideal to function as money and it’s intrinsic value. There is a reason gold has held its value and has been used as money for thousands of years. Not because some crazy person just decided one day that gold has some magical value and is to be used as money. There are real reasons why gold is used as money and why it will continue to be used as money. Have fun with your fiat currencies or some utopian scam currencies like Bitcoins.

Currency collapses happen often. We just haven't had one in a while (which some people just suspect means that we are overdue)

Wealth is not created or destroyed, only transferred. As long as noone burns down the farmers field or the bakery, there will be the same amount of bread. But what that baker will accept as money is what is important. Does he want the flexibility of an electronic US dollar, so that he can buy a US made good? Does he want 6.4 grams of nickel (a Canadian dollar) so that he can buy something else down the street?

Why does a worker in India work a day in the fields producing food for 20 grams of nickel? Why does a corporate lawyer in the US work for twenty thousand US electronic dollars each day? Which is of greater value?

It all depends on what you need, and what others will accept as money at any given point in time. If you want to eat, I'd suggest that copper and nickel are your best friends. If you want to sue, or create a film about landing on the moon, US dollars are your best friends. If you want to buy a tank or a jet fighter, gold is probably your currency of choice.

Canada does have a natural nickel advantage however, it is a shame to let it go to waste. It is by no mistake or chance that you can bring a Loonie to a coffee shop and get a coffee, or five loonies and get a sandwich.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 11-01-2012 at 03:09 PM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 07:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast