Quantcast
Trading in SUV and car for Truck - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Trading in SUV and car for Truck

My Ride
    2017 Nissan Morano/2018 Chevy Cruze/2001 Dodge2500

Default Trading in SUV and car for Truck

Good day all.

We are going to be trading in our SUV and Car for a truck. Today i'm meeting the dealer at Ford to see what is left in the 2015 F-150's.

Couple of questions.

I was reading online that I should negotiate the trade in value first and then move onto negotiating the new vehicle cost. Is this sound advise?

Second I never bought a truck before. Being that we are looking at the 2015 is there much wiggle room? I want to try to lessen the damage of the trade in's. I know Ford has 0% financing so i'm going to assume that they will try to make excuses like we are giving you that deal.

Last one is looking around at different Ford dealers. Will it make much of a difference going to another dealer after I crunch numbers with one or is Ford pretty sticky on the prices.

On a side note I was looking at a Dodge 1500 sport, but they seem to be a bit pricey, that or the dealer in Cochrane doesn't like to give straight prices. an example was a 2015 Dodge Sport with the bigger cab was around $61000, but he said it would be in the mid $50k's. Still seemed high.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

I know it's a pain in the butt, but selling the cars privately will net you a few thousand $ more even with GST savings on trade ins, especially if you're trading in the cars listed in your profile. Those are late models and you won't like the trade-in values they will offer you.

Best time to buy a Ford is during employee pricing when they have 10K+ discounts on the F-150s. I think from other threads the consensus is that Cam Clark gives out best deals, either Airdrie or Olds?

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

Dealerships will move around a little on prices based on the overall cashflow with the deal. If you feel they're not giving you a good trade in value, then get them to make it up on the price of the new truck. It's all about cashflow and where they can get their margins.

I really like Woodridge Ford, I have dealt with them a bit as well as Okotoks Ford. Woodridge is much better.

Plus, you'll really love the new F-150's, fantastic vehicles. I've had a 2011, and currently drive a 2013 and have had no problems. Great vehicles.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I found a great tactic to use, and it has worked well for me.

Negotiate everything, to the point you are happy, and ready to pull the trigger. You have a baseline now.

Take a day or two to sleep on it, and immediately call the other Ford dealers and say "I am about to pull the trigger on this truck with these options, for this price out the door, but they don't have it in blue flame." They will smell that sale on the plate before them, and they will instinctively try to beat the price.

I did that with mine, and all 6 dealers I called told me they couldn't sell me a truck at that price as it was below their cost. It was a guaranteed sale in front of them if they could...That way, I knew I had the best deal possible.

and one last word of advice, don't even mention that you are trading in. wait until you have a hard price on the truck, or sell the vehicles privately.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride

Originally posted by spikerS
    I found a great tactic to use, and it has worked well for me.

Negotiate everything, to the point you are happy, and ready to pull the trigger. You have a baseline now.

Take a day or two to sleep on it, and immediately call the other Ford dealers and say "I am about to pull the trigger on this truck with these options, for this price out the door, but they don't have it in blue flame." They will smell that sale on the plate before them, and they will instinctively try to beat the price.

I did that with mine, and all 6 dealers I called told me they couldn't sell me a truck at that price as it was below their cost. It was a guaranteed sale in front of them if they could...That way, I knew I had the best deal possible.

and one last word of advice, don't even mention that you are trading in. wait until you have a hard price on the truck, or sell the vehicles privately.
    Good idea and exactly what I will do. With 2016's now coming in, i'm hoping to get a good deal on a 2015.

My Ride
    bus

Try airdrie dodge, they gave me the best price out of a few of the calgary dealerships I visited.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Pretty much echo what the folks above have said.

If you are wondering about the available rebates, it's worth your time to buy the carcostcanada report for the vehicle you are looking at. But, it varies with trim level, so figure that out first.

Also, negotiate the deal FIRST, then see about trade-in values. Be prepared to sell the vehicles privately if the trade-in isn't a good deal. I find that it's 100% best if you do not bring your wife with you when you are doing the negotiation. Let her come along for the test drives, but when it's time to deal, don't let her come. That way, there are half as many weaknesses for the dealership to exploit.

The 2015 F150 is a great truck, you will love it. Maybe off topic, but since configuring these on the website is a hobby of mine, what options are you planning on getting? Have you looked through the order guide yet? I explains things more clearly than the website I find, and helps you figure out what is and is not available with each package.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Pretty much echo what the folks above have said.

If you are wondering about the available rebates, it's worth your time to buy the carcostcanada report for the vehicle you are looking at. But, it varies with trim level, so figure that out first.

Also, negotiate the deal FIRST, then see about trade-in values. Be prepared to sell the vehicles privately if the trade-in isn't a good deal. I find that it's 100% best if you do not bring your wife with you when you are doing the negotiation. Let her come along for the test drives, but when it's time to deal, don't let her come. That way, there are half as many weaknesses for the dealership to exploit.

The 2015 F150 is a great truck, you will love it. Maybe off topic, but since configuring these on the website is a hobby of mine, what options are you planning on getting? Have you looked through the order guide yet? I explains things more clearly than the website I find, and helps you figure out what is and is not available with each package.
    My wife is pretty decent at not talking when it comes to negotiating lol. What I do find though is that the last three vehicles we bought we always had issues with the person doing the financing. They always try to push you into everything they can suck out of you and then play mind games with you and your wife. I just about threw the Hyundai deal out the door because of the finance lady. In return we bought our Hyundai SUV at a different dealer. Just odd that Sales people can be the good people now at dealerships

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

There is a reason that they call teh finance office "the Business Office" in a lot of dealerships. They make more money in that room than they do on the sale of the cars often.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Has wheels

I can't add any more advice than what's been said. If you're willing to deal with a dealership on the south side of Red Deer, I know an absolutely no nonsense sales person there that I think would be worth calling.

Send me a pm if you'd like his info.