Quantcast
House got robbed.. What to do? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: House got robbed.. What to do?

Default House got robbed.. What to do?

So I got a phone call from my mother today and she told me she got robbed.

Long story short, a respected home builder that built her complex scheduled an appointment with her to do some work in her home. The work got done but she didn't change the garage code.

The next day she goes to the gym, comes back and sees her garage door open. She goes to her room and finds out her cash stash has been taken. She sees a piece of paper on the floor that outlined the houses the contractors were going to do work on.

Cops were called and mom gave them the piece of paper. A couple days later the cops call back and according to them the home builder hired some contractors to do the work and because mom didn't change the garage code they got in her home and took her stuff.

There were a few WTF questions from me to her that I won't bother getting into, and mom feels bad enough about it since she got lazy and didn't change her garage code (which she always did change in the past).

Anyway, she's not sure if she can do anything about it on top of what the police is doing. So I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on what she can do now. I told her she most likely won't get anything back from the contractor or the company that the contractor works for. But there is a slim chance she might be able to get something from the home builder.

Anyways I have no idea, so I'm wondering if anyone can provide some guidance?

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Same thing happened to me. On Christmas. I moved into a new condo, still had tile work to be done so I never changed my locks, to facilitate workers coming in while I was away. Came back after Christmas dinner with the fam and everything was gone. Only thing in my power was to change the locks. The contractor utilized day labor from the mustard seed or some of the other day labor groups. Can't recall which. They got access to the Skelton key for the building. Copied it. Robbed me.

End result, the police identified him. Jason Tremblay from Quebec. Of no fixed address. His fingerprints were all over the inside of my entertainment cabinet. Clearly a moron, been printed before and robbed me without gloves. They left a screwdriver in my place covered in paint splatter that matched the hallway walls. No shit he is of no fixed address if he is that dumb. I asked if I would be asked to testify or if I would be contacted. Cops said doubtful. That was 15 years ago. Never heard from CPS since. They would likely roll up all charges into a plea if they ever caught him the officer told me, my presence would not be required.

Only thing you can do is secure your home. My condo association hates me. I never leave my key at the desk for contractors to use. I insist on being present during the work and make them schedule a time so I can let them in.

It sucks to be robbed, I feel ya. But being that nobody was hurt or physically threatened don't expect star treatment from CPS. I don't blame them, cases where people are hurt clearly deserve more attention. Best thing is for your mom to secure her home so she can feel safe. Make sure exterior doors are solid wood, secure strike plates to the frame, maybe get a 3m security film installed etc. Best thing is to make sure she feels secure in her own home. And she can call the victim counseling number the CPS provide if she's having a hard time.

Sorry man, sucks. But nothing much else you can do. Unless the CPS get lucky the stolen goods are gone.
    Last edited by frizzlefry; 11-09-2015 at 09:03 PM.

Why wouldn't you go after the builder for causing this mess? I know some "alleged" well respected builders who build more homes then anyone but their contractors are always going out of business or bankrupt. Why wouldn't you cause hell in a scenario like this? Your moms not to blame for not changing the garage code.. The builder is for hiring shady contractors.

I would give the builder a chance to fix the problem. If they refuse to I would contact the news and even file a small claims action against the builder

I doubt a builder wants a story like this to hit the news... The trouble shooters would jump all over a story like this.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Originally posted by gwill
    Why wouldn't you go after the builder for causing this mess? I know some "alleged" well respected builders who build more homes then anyone but their contractors are always going out of business or bankrupt. Why wouldn't you cause hell in a scenario like this? Your moms not to blame for not changing the garage code.. The builder is for hiring shady contractors.

I would give the builder a chance to fix the problem. If they refuse to I would contact the news and even file a small claims action against the builder

I doubt a builder wants a story like this to hit the news... The trouble shooters would jump all over a story like this.
    I probed this line of thought. Basically the builder said they were not responsible. CPS said there would be no legal culpability. It happens so often no builder will feel out of line. Most important thing is to move on, put it behind you. Basically insurance should cover you, I you don't have it then its on you. Not likely to win. A lot of aggravation for nothing. I emailed global about it when it happened to me. No reply.

There would be many who would choose to ignore what happened and decide to move on but I wouldn't let this slide if it was my house. I'd have to disagree on your liability comment as I think a builder is ultimately responsible when they send trades people through your homes.

I've dealt with 200+ closings on new construction homes and never had this issue come up once. It's not like this is a common occurrence where a reputable builder would choose to ignore this then address it head on. IMO it's one of the worst things that can happen to a home owner in their new home.

Default Re: House got robbed.. What to do?

Originally posted by Shaolin

Cops were called and mom gave them the piece of paper. A couple days later the cops call back and according to them the home builder hired some contractors to do the work and because mom didn't change the garage code they got in her home and took her stuff.
    [RING RING]

Builder: "Hello?"

Police: "Hi Mr Builder, this is the Calgary police... One of your customers just got robbed"

Builder: "That wasn't me, it must have been one of the contractors I hired".

Police: "Kthxbye. I'll let the homeowner know"
    Last edited by Robin Goodfellow; 11-09-2015 at 11:52 PM.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Originally posted by gwill
    I've dealt with 200+ closings on new construction homes and never had this issue come up once. It's not like this is a common occurrence where a reputable builder would choose to ignore this then address it head on. IMO it's one of the worst things that can happen to a home owner in their new home.
    Well mine was Pointe of View. At the time it happened to me Pointe of View was the interim management company. So that may say a lot.

OP if you want contact the news. An email takes little time. Don't count on results but you never know. Going the court route will be a long dragged out process. Seems worthwhile at the time but after a short period of time ya just want to be done with it.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Im amazed by how people dont change their garage key codes. I have a friend living in west point in the SW and his garage code is still 1234 and his house is 4000 square foot with lots of great goodies inside. Plus he lives on a corner and everyone can see into his house all of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    Ford F150

I don't understand why people don't lock the deadbolt in their garage. Garage doors are shit for security.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
    I don't understand why people don't lock the deadbolt in their garage. Garage doors are shit for security.
    Because once someone is in the garage, they're going to get in your house, regardless if the door is deadbolted or not.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by nzwasp
    Im amazed by how people dont change their garage key codes. I have a friend living in west point in the SW
    Yeah? What's his address. I'd like to see for myself that you're not fibbing us.

Seriously - I don't know how the builder couldn't be held responsible. I was always under the impression contractors were liable for the actions of subcontractors. Unless you signed otherwise, which would surprise me.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Even if the news doesn't pick it up, I'm sure it would spread pretty quick on social media. I bet they'd hate to see a post on their FB wall saying that they do such a poor job of vetting their contractors that their customers are being robbed after work is completed and that they feel that the actions their contractors take isn't their problem.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Rule #1 don't leave cash out when dealing with contractors unless you want to be shady.

Nearly every contractor will understand that cash money left on the table means money off the books. Money that they don't want to declare as income (and be taxed on it) and will probably lower the billable statement by an amount greater than you leave on the table.

Of which: The contractor could testify that they simply found money on the table while still having the keycode left by the owner. In which case, even a newbie judge could see it as a bribe (to surreptitiously try and get a lower rate by paying partially in cash)

I'd only consider pursing this if you are absolutely 100% sure that no one in your household left money out to try and do the bribe. Its also possible that a family member tried to do the bribe and got billed the full amount anyhow, and now they are just pissed at the failed attempt (but would never admit to such a thing to another family member, especially a child)

I'd drop it, leaving a door unlocked or leaving a keycode for entry is no ones responsibility but your own.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 11-10-2015 at 01:02 PM.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

If you want to bring it to the news, let me know. I have a friend who could probably give this story some traction.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I've told my mom to get a hold of the homebuilder and see what they can do for her.

If they refuse to do anything for her, I gave her the options suggested here.

Originally posted by Kloubek

Yeah? What's his address. I'd like to see for myself that you're not fibbing us.

Seriously - I don't know how the builder couldn't be held responsible. I was always under the impression contractors were liable for the actions of subcontractors. Unless you signed otherwise, which would surprise me.
    I'm amazed that no one here has taken issue with

1) The builder's lack of concern and ownership.

2) The police's lack of follow through. Given the information provided, it sounds like they've simply acted as a messenger for the Builder, and not actually pursued the matter.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Sounds almost like the attention given to matters directed to the BBB. Support the members, ignore the public for which they are expected to serve.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by ZenOps
    Rule #1 don't leave cash out when dealing with contractors unless you want to be shady.

Nearly every contractor will understand that cash money left on the table means money off the books. Money that they don't want to declare as income (and be taxed on it) and will probably lower the billable statement by an amount greater than you leave on the table.

Of which: The contractor could testify that they simply found money on the table while still having the keycode left by the owner. In which case, even a newbie judge could see it as a bribe (to surreptitiously try and get a lower rate by paying partially in cash)

I'd only consider pursing this if you are absolutely 100% sure that no one in your household left money out to try and do the bribe. Its also possible that a family member tried to do the bribe and got billed the full amount anyhow, and now they are just pissed at the failed attempt (but would never admit to such a thing to another family member, especially a child)

I'd drop it, leaving a door unlocked or leaving a keycode for entry is no ones responsibility but your own.
    This has to be some kind of next level joke. No one would seriously think this.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Originally posted by FraserB

This has to be some kind of next level joke. No one would seriously think this.
    Gotta agree with you.

Read that, cocked my head sideways, and said "HUH?"

Maybe it's a Filipino thing.

Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow

Gotta agree with you.

Read that, cocked my head sideways, and said "HUH?"

Maybe it's a Filipino thing.
    Quoted for ridiculous.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast