Quantcast
Seeking clarification about rememberance day? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeking clarification about rememberance day?

Default Seeking clarification about rememberance day?

I keep hearing folks talking about how Canada had to defend itself from its enemies - But to my understanding, Canada has never been attacked - Canadians only helped their allies.

Also, if someone is a new Canadian, or the children of new Canadians, are they obligated to honor actions that happened before they showed up?

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

It's about remembering our veterans for fighting for our freedoms.
    Who cares if they honor Remembrance Day or not?

My Ride
    Lariat

Default Re: Seeking clarification about rememberance day?

Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow

Also, if someone is a new Canadian, or the children of new Canadians, are they obligated to honor actions that happened before they showed up?
    Of course they should honor the actions, they probably wouldn't be here if it wasn't a free land.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

It means something different to everyone. Most I think would say it's a time to reflect on the sacrifices made by those who laid their lives down in the defense of others and defending freedom.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

A quick google search, this would be a good read for clarification.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/rememb...emembrance/why

"We must remember. If we do not, the sacrifice of those one hundred thousand Canadian lives will be meaningless. They died for us, for their homes and families and friends, for a collection of traditions they cherished and a future they believed in; they died for Canada. The meaning of their sacrifice rests with our collective national consciousness; our future is their monument."

We often take for granted many things like our freedom and rights. I think its important to at the very least take a moment to reflect on our past and remember the people who made such large sacrifices for us. I don't think anyone is "obligated" to participate, but I have no idea why any Canadian citizen wouldnt, new or not. I think it would be especially important to new canadians, why else would someone come to this great country?

As for the "defend" clarification, I suppose you could say we were defending our allies and our values.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Should be remembered. But lets not get too carried away. Like what happened to this poor woman. Ending up on the Calgary herald site being shamed for putting her poppy on the wrong side. Jesus.

Link

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by frizzlefry
    Should be remembered. But lets not get too carried away. Like what happened to this poor woman. Ending up on the Calgary herald site being shamed for putting her poppy on the wrong side. Jesus.

Link
    Is she actually being shamed and harassed over it? All I see is a comment about how it's incorrect and unacceptable

My Ride
    Model S

Originally posted by theken
    It's about remembering our veterans for fighting for our freedoms.
    Who cares if they honor Remembrance Day or not?
    That's his point, no one fought for our freedoms. They fought for our allies freedoms. Which is great, and also worth remembering (assuming we are talking about WW1 and WW2 vets - after that, whether or not we were on the right side of wars starts to get murky).

Some might say it would be disrespectful to make a big stink about remembering while not understanding precisely what it is we are supposedly remembering, or worse, claiming to remember things that didn't happen, so it's important to question these things.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

I believe without our allies we would t be free, if Germany had continued through with the nazi regime and taken over Britain, who had control over us, would things be the same?

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Originally posted by btimbit

Is she actually being shamed and harassed over it? All I see is a comment about how it's incorrect and unacceptable
    Absolutely. Your face accompanied a vet saying what you did was unacceptable? Better off showing the faces of people who didn't wear one. She donated to a poppy box to get it. More than many people do. Likely her only offense is being left handed, resulting in her applying it on her right side. Resulting in her public criticism showing her face and name. Is that not a public shaming?
    Last edited by frizzlefry; 11-09-2015 at 10:56 PM.

Technically, there were some events that can constitute an attack directly on Canada during WW2. The Japanese did have balloon bombs that made it over the Pacific and did drop on Canadian soil and German U boats did attack vessels in the St Lawrence seaway. Obviously these were not war starting events, but it was upon Canadian soil and waterways...

Other than that, we remember the bravery of men and women that were willing to assist others in defense of there own countries in multiple conflicts. That alone is worthy in my books...

My Ride
    Trucks

It seems to me that Rememberance Day is all about the money. Everybody sells it as honouring our veterans for their heroic deeds, but then veterans start flipping out when kids take the time and effort to make their own poppies while learning the important events from the past. They want donations of cash, the rest is an advertising campaign.

Originally posted by Darell_n
    It seems to me that Rememberance Day is all about the money. Everybody sells it as honouring our veterans for their heroic deeds, but then veterans start flipping out when kids take the time and effort to make their own poppies while learning the important events from the past. They want donations of cash, the rest is an advertising campaign.
    Veterans deserve our respect and if that comes in the form of charity, I do not mind.

they fought to defend our freedom, answering the call of duty and paying the ultimate sacrifice, so our generation doesn't.

a moment of silence and a small token of appreciation once a year is not too much to ask for...

as people say, look to your past to see your future.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Troll.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Trucks

Originally posted by r3ccOs

Veterans deserve our respect and if that comes in the form of charity, I do not mind.

they fought to defend our freedom, answering the call of duty and paying the ultimate sacrifice, so our generation doesn't.

a moment of silence and a small token of appreciation once a year is not too much to ask for...

I agree, but the way some of the Legions are reacting is nothing matters to them, except the money. No amount of ceremony or stat holidays or poems or monuments or society pausing to reflect matters at all, if you don't show them the money. Money, money, money. I'm 100% positive they would be completely satisfied if their donations doubled and we skipped all the rest.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 01:53 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use before posting again, or risk getting banned).
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Originally posted by FraserB
    It means something different to everyone. Most I think would say it's a time to reflect on the sacrifices made by those who laid their lives down in the defense of others and defending freedom.
    Hit the nail on the head.

/End Thread

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    Troll.
    This.

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

Originally posted by r3ccOs

if anyone is worthy of charity it is those that stood up when called upon and left their home to go and fight a tyrant to defend the freedom that many of us take for granted.
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by killramos
    November the 11th is the one day a year you have to he thankful about the sacrifices of our current and former armed forces in making the country the safe haven it is today.

Every other day of the year you can go back to the socially progressive dogma that soldiers are all murdering fascists and with no military there would be NO WAR.

As for the "defending our allies" bit give your head a fucking shake.

So basically, fuck off Robin.

Don't agree with you often, but when you are right, you are right!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast