Quantcast
Buying a 2015 truck, need advice - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a 2015 truck, need advice

My Ride
    2017 Nissan Morano/2018 Chevy Cruze/2001 Dodge2500

Default Buying a 2015 truck, need advice

Good morning all

I have posted a couple of threads about trading in, but now we are getting more serious about buying.

With that said I have a few questions.

Is there a good sales person/dealer in Calgary that wont give me the run around? I test drove a 2015 Ford 3.5 eccoboost lariat in Cochrane and I do like it, though I was hoping to get a 2.7 eccoboost as I drive to Calgary daily. One thing I liked about Cochrane Ford was the sales guy was very straight with me and was not afraid to show numbers.

I'm thinking of test driving a Dodge 1500. I love the interior, but i'm afraid that the hemi is going to cost me a lot in gas. Though the 8 speed tranny might help. Honestly I find Cochrane Dodge not trustworthy. Is there a good dealer or sales person in Calgary that will be straight up with me?

GMC and Toyota are others that I think I should atleast test drive. My only concern is they seem to both have huge engines. Also I find the Ford very "techy" and Toyota seems bland when it comes to technology. Haven't even looked at a GMC yet though.

My trade in at Cochrane was not what I was looking for, but those numbers can change. I'm going to have both vehicle trade in values done in Calgary as they might be able to provide better results.

Last but not least, financing. Ford has 0.9% over 84 months which is very nice. Dodge has decent financing and can be put over 96 months at $2.99. Not sure how GMC and Toyota is though.

Thank you in advance and any comments are appreciated.

My Ride
    Sentra spec5-T

I have driven both a 2013 3.5 ecoboost and a 2014 ram with the 8 speed from Calgary to Grand Prairie numerous times, I averaged 13.5L/100 in the ecoboost and 11.5L/100 in the ram, this was travelling at 115-120 90% of the time. I was extremely disappointed with the ecoboost.

My Ride

Originally posted by 93VR6
    I have driven both a 2013 3.5 ecoboost and a 2014 ram with the 8 speed from Calgary to Grand Prairie numerous times, I averaged 13.5L/100 in the ecoboost and 11.5L/100 in the ram, this was travelling at 115-120 90% of the time. I was extremely disappointed with the ecoboost.
    It's funny you say that because I was reading somewhere that the 3.5 eccoboost fuel economy that Ford puts out is no where near what the actual amount is.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I own a 2012 3.5L ecoboost, and I have heard from lots of folks that they are dissapointed in the economy from that engine. I don't understand that attitude, I get between 11 and 12 l/100km on the highway. When I'm towing, that thing KILLS the 5.4L V8 I had previously.

As for prices and such, do yourself a favour, and buy the carcostcanada report for the truck you decide to deal on. So much good info on that thing.

The Ram with the 8 speed is a sweet powertrain.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    K-car

Don't rule out the other trucks just because of the bigger engines. The GM's get better fuel economy than most ecoboost Fords, especially on the highway.

Look up Fuelly.com, thousands of truck owners reporting their mileage there.

My Ride
    bus

I bought my 2014 ram sport from airdrie dodge, they offered the best price at the time out of all the calgary dealerships.

I've heard on this forum that guys were getting fully loaded sports for well under 40k all in, I'm not sure which dealers were those though.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I would strongly consider flying or driving well outside Calgary - if you can knock $5-10,000 off the best price in the City it would be well worth it IMO to pay for a 300$ flight and hotel.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I've bought Dodge product from Cochrane Dodge & Tower Chrysler in the last three years and I wouldn't set foot on either property again. Airdrie Dodge seems to have a pretty good reputation.

You should ask Cos what he thinks of his Eco-Boom motor.

If you're concerned about fuel economy you'll need to pay attention which gearing you end up with as that can have a significant impact. If you're not towing you don't need the tow gears.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride

Originally posted by revelations
    I would strongly consider flying or driving well outside Calgary - if you can knock $5-10,000 off the best price in the City it would be well worth it IMO to pay for a 300$ flight and hotel.
    I would, but we are trading in our two vehicles so that's not an option.

I'm hoping I will get a better trade in deal here in Calgary than going else where.

Honestly if I didn't care about finance or trade in I would go down to the US.

My Ride

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    I've bought Dodge product from Cochrane Dodge & Tower Chrysler in the last three years and I wouldn't set foot on either property again. Airdrie Dodge seems to have a pretty good reputation.

You should ask Cos what he thinks of his Eco-Boom motor.

If you're concerned about fuel economy you'll need to pay attention which gearing you end up with as that can have a significant impact. If you're not towing you don't need the tow gears.
    Ya I could see myself pulling a small vacation trailer, but nothing too big.

I too have heard good things about Airdrie Dodge. If anyone has a sales person they know there that is good please let me know.

My Ride
    bus

Originally posted by snoop101

Ya I could see myself pulling a small vacation trailer, but nothing too big.

I too have heard good things about Airdrie Dodge. If anyone has a sales person they know there that is good please let me know.
    3.21 gears should be all you need then. Mine has the 3.92 because I was going to buy a large travel trailer.

I used Sean miles at airdrie dodge and he did not try to pull any crap like the other dealers salesmen did.

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

Originally posted by redblack

3.21 gears should be all you need then. Mine has the 3.92 because I was going to buy a large travel trailer.
    I picked 3.92s on the new one because I don't like slow trucks, and because fuel mileage is for pussies. May regret it, but oh well.

P.S. Check your PMs, Snoop. Hooked you up with a good deal..

Stay away from Cochrane Dodge at all cost. They tried a bait and switch with me when i bought from them.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

I have the Tundra. It's not the best of gas, but from what I've seen online the best case scenario for a gas truck I could get may 2L/100kms better in the other trucks which at 20,000kms per year works out to about $400-$450 in savings. I think it's worse on gas due to 6 speed auto and 4.30 rear. That's the only one you can get in the Crewmax. I don't think anyone else even offers that as an option?

I love leasing vehicles and Toyota was by far the cheapest to lease at the time. Combination of high residual and low interest rate, made it around $100-$200 less per month.

Originally posted by carson blocks

I picked 3.92s on the new one because I don't like slow trucks, and because fuel mileage is for pussies. May regret it, but oh well.

P.S. Check your PMs, Snoop. Hooked you up with a good deal..
    love it... and you would think the 8 speed would be able to make up the difference, but the gearing is the same regardless of the 3.91 or the 3.21

all the people I know who complain about the ecoboost's fuel economy are using the tow/max tow package, which is anywhere from 3.55 to 4.10 (with the HD)

same goes with people who complain about the Ram's hemi's fuel economy on the highway using the 3.92

Out of all the trucks, Fuel economy comes at a sacrifice certainly, but I'd probably rank them this way:

GMC/Cheby 5.3
    Ram Hemi
    Ford Ecoboost
    Tundra

on the highway the Hemi with the 3.21 has staggering fuel economy, but in the City, its a PIG and may be a bit better with the 3.92.

My ecoscrew with 3.73 is probably 1.5 l/100 worse on the highway, but around the city I can average 12.7 with stock tires, and about 13.3 with the up sized tires.

Last edited by Cos; 12-21-2016 at 10:45 AM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Ram

Originally posted by snoop101

It's funny you say that because I was reading somewhere that the 3.5 eccoboost fuel economy that Ford puts out is no where near what the actual amount is.
    something to consider. the 2015+ f150 is also aluminum body. this would better better on gas

Then also i dont know if you like aluminum trucks or not

My Ride

I just finished looking at a Chevy Silverado LTZ with the 6.2l and 8 speed transmission. I didn't have time to test drive it though.

The interior has a much nicer finish then the Ford. Makes the Ford feel cheap.

Going to test drive it tomorrow and see if the wife likes it.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by Cos

Go with the Ram. Better on fuel than my EB (usually 16l/100km + and premium). Worse fuel economy while towing. Terrible reliability (not sure difference to Dodge).

If I had the money I would go GM first, but for price/reliability I'd get a Ram or maybe even a Japanese truck.

Fuck how? I drive 3.5km to work and back in my truck. I drove from my house, filled up, drove to the office, and drove home today. I think I am at 20 L/100km.

Ill go and grab some pictures from my dash
    3.5kms is your problem I think. That's way too short of a commute for the truck to be warmed up and operating efficiently. Our van has the same issue, most of its trips are very short, and you can see it's sitting at 14.1L/100kms life time. Short trips are a fuel econ killer especially in winter.

I'm surprised so many of the guys on here buy the Ford eco after having driven one a few times recently.

That turbo spooling is so painful to listen to all the time... I wanted to drive our construction managers truck off the road after just a few minutes.
    I would take the Chevy/GM over it any day.

Family member has the brand new Ram 1500, quite enjoyed the ride, would also take over the ford eco

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast