Quantcast
Here comes the trainwreck - 2,300 refugees into Calgary in the next 6-8 weeks - Page 35 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25 34 35

Thread: Here comes the trainwreck - 2,300 refugees into Calgary in the next 6-8 weeks

My Ride
    GTIR->SE-R->RDX->SLT->S60->LS460

Good point, I was unaware it was a tabloid.
    Stupidity is a disease we all have, it's like a form of brain herpes. Outbreaks will occasionally occur.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by nissanK
    Good point, I was unaware it was a tabloid.
    Googe has effectively demonstrated why verifying your sources and fact checking information is important.

Originally posted by googe

And Daily Mail is the Express's main competitor in the ridiculous made-up-nonsense tabloid space.

Be careful that you aren't just seeking news to confirm ideas that you've already convinced yourself are true.
    Obligatory

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

The Daily Mail and Express are tabloids if the Sun is a tabloid. When people hear tabloid in North America, they think "batboy confirmed!" And "nessy spotted again"! Not " some immigrants, with actual numbers and verification provided, set fire to the camp they were being evicted from".

So it's great that you guys would love to discredit a news source because it doesn't fit your political leanings, but they are typically FACTUAL, even if they are SHITTY in the news they report and the way they do it.

It's actually a good thing that these "tabloids" are covering this, as most major european news sources have been running very few articles about the immigration crisis lately. Go and try to find info about the assaults on new years and updates as to the statuses of the investigations, you actually have to dig for that info. I wonder why...

Typically for European news I'll use the BBC and sometimes look at RT, but of course RT is a russian propaganda machine so THAT news source is worth taking with a grain of salt. And the BBC, being a publicly funded british institution also has to he taken with a grain of salt.

I really like The Economist, but you have to pay.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    The Daily Mail and Express are tabloids if the Sun is a tabloid. When people hear tabloid in North America, they think "batboy confirmed!" And "nessy spotted again"! Not " some immigrants, with actual numbers and verification provided, set fire to the camp they were being evicted from".

So it's great that you guys would love to discredit a news source because it doesn't fit your political leanings, but they are typically FACTUAL, even if they are SHITTY in the news they report and the way they do it.

It's actually a good thing that these "tabloids" are covering this, as most major european news sources have been running very few articles about the immigration crisis lately. Go and try to find info about the assaults on new years and updates as to the statuses of the investigations, you actually have to dig for that info. I wonder why...

Typically for European news I'll use the BBC and sometimes look at RT, but of course RT is a russian propaganda machine so THAT news source is worth taking with a grain of salt. And the BBC, being a publicly funded british institution also has to he taken with a grain of salt.

I really like The Economist, but you have to pay.
    Same place you get your scientific news for claims like:

The best part about core samples to look at the amount of C02 is that it does not take into account any other GHG's or other variables that may have occurred at the time. There is no way for them to confirm that C02 in the air directly correlates to what the temperature was 1 million years ago besides theorizing with models built on their own biases.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by msommers

Same place you get your scientific news for claims like:

I never stated that I thought they were inherently wrong in their overall approach, I just have heavy skepticism about the outcome. My issue comes with claiming gospel over the fact. When we're talking temperature differences of +-2*C being "the end of the world as we know it" accuracy is of utmost importance and I personally do not feel that they have the necessary data set of empirical knowledge to appropriately challenge their theoretical models.

I recognize that with lots of the research, they do take into account other GHG's. That was my bad. I actually went and did some reading to take a look at what I was saying, and I didn't just go to my own "sources" as you guys typically do.

By all means, please provide a source disproving what they have stated about the refugees? I'm all ears!

With the same rationaliity & logic this thread is demonstrating, this guy's religion, race, ethnicity, or whatever is responsible for his behaviour. Let's shut down the border & deported this guy's group - http://forums.beyond.ca/st/396483/an...ison-hartzler/

I'm obviously being sarcastic. This line of thinking is fallible, & not objectively precise and concise. A human being is a complex and perplexing 'thing'. Let's not deduce it to something simple.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Sounds like the french government have their hands full.

"The French government has promised to keep law and order in Calais after migrants stormed a UK-bound ferry."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35394673

What a mess.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/t...onto-1.3418220

Knocking it out of the park Canada I hesitate to blame the Liberals, but they were the ones who wanted to bring 25,000 (! ) refugees in by Christmas. They can't even handle 10,000, most of which were private sponsorship anyways.

Apparently being holed up in a hotel with food provided is worse than slumming it in a refugee camp. Who knew?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Some government-sponsored Syrian refugees....Some of the 85 government-sponsored refugees say they're not getting much help, and would rather go back to their refugee camps in Jordan and Lebanon... a Syrian mother...Even something as simple as getting medical help for a young one
    What a sensationalized article. What percentage of total refugees are they representing here?

Sitting in a hotel not being able to leave for a 2-4weeks with minimal interaction would drive most people crazy, lets be honest here. But to want to go back seems more hyperbolized than expressing genuine intent. I certainly could be wrong, rather odd though.
    Ultracrepidarian

I'm shocked that there's a CBC article criticizing our glorious and moral Liberal gov't.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Me too actually
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

Originally posted by A790

Googe has effectively demonstrated why verifying your sources and fact checking information is important.
    The only thing Googe showed was how to commit the genetic fallacy. It's rather odd he says "Be careful that you aren't just seeking news to confirm ideas that you've already convinced yourself are true." Yet when confronted with some news that doesn't confirm ideas that he has already has pre-conceived notions about, he simply dismisses them simply on the basis of where they come from.

Very seldom does the entire story seem to be reported these days, and that should lead people to have extra scrutiny with virtually all current events. Never-less, this tactic to simply dismiss something on the basis of where it comes from, as if that somehow proves anything is ridiculous. Many of the news sources that are actually reporting on these abuses committed by migrants are backed up by local german news reports, and they make very specific claims about people and events. If someone were quoting a satire or parody news site, then he would have a point, and it would be wise to disregard as what is being said as truth. However, that isn't the case here, and just because most of the North American media has decided not to report many of the crimes committed by newly arrived migrants, doesn't mean they aren't happening.

Originally posted by suntan
    I'm shocked that there's a CBC article criticizing our glorious and moral Liberal gov't.

Originally posted by msommers
    Me too actually
    I'm not so sure.

The CBC comedies don't seem to have any bias in what political party they slog. Shit, just watch Mercer.

Speaking of Mercer: Spending the night at Harper's place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KMcEwsT-10

"You kids keep it down there"

"You're not the boss of me"

Yes sweetie, we're just joking.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/t...onto-1.3418220

Knocking it out of the park Canada I hesitate to blame the Liberals, but they were the ones who wanted to bring 25,000 (! ) refugees in by Christmas. They can't even handle 10,000, most of which were private sponsorship anyways.

Apparently being holed up in a hotel with food provided is worse than slumming it in a refugee camp. Who knew?
    ""I feel even though we chose to come out to Canada and it was something that we chose to do, it was our right and we chose it, however, it's not what we expected and it's not what we thought we would come into," said Abu-Rukti."

Here's the thing - it was NOT their choice or right to come here, it was OUR (Canada) choice to accept them. If they don't like it, well I'm sorry their feelings are hurt that they aren't being shot at.

They feel like all they can do is eat and go to sleep? Why not explore Toronto? Look for a park and have your kids play in it for awhile. Find ways to keep busy. Just what we need, more "boo hoo feel bad for me" attitudes in this country.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by 403Gemini

Why not explore Toronto? Look for a park and have your kids play in it for awhile. Find ways to keep busy.
    In their defense, I don't think they can actually do that yet is the vibe I get from the article.

Like I said, the government is seriously f*&king this up. Rather than be prepared to accept the people, screen them appropriately, and have everything ready for when they arrive, it's just "nope, put 'em on a plane and we'll deal with it as it comes"

It's not like the refugees are going anywhere. Did the gov consider MAYBE bringing them in warmer temps might not have been such a bad idea? Especially if they found their current accommodations in the refugee camps acceptable? The question probably wasn't even asked.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

If they are wanting to leave, why is the government not letting them?
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-co...me-of-them-are

Pretty straightforward. Lots will disagree.

Also, the US Congress has a discussion lined up for this week or next week specifically to talk about how many refugees Canada is accepting. Interesting to say the least!

News on where these immigrants are settling.

I like how they're going to the least populated provinces.
    Ont, Que, AB, BC.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/where-a...nada-1.3111972

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25 34 35