Quantcast
Here comes the trainwreck - 2,300 refugees into Calgary in the next 6-8 weeks - Page 12 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Here comes the trainwreck - 2,300 refugees into Calgary in the next 6-8 weeks

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by sabad66

Has there been any confirmation that the paris attacks were executed by refugees (the same ones that Canada is bringing in)? i keep hearing this from people but haven't seen any real source.
    http://www.thelocal.fr/20151114/pass...sed-by-refugee

Greek minister for citizen protection, Nikos Toskas, said in a statement that one of the men had been registered on the Greek island of Leros in October.

"We confirm that the (Syrian) passport holder came through the Greek island of Leros on October 3 where he was registered under EU rules," said a statement issued by Toskas.

French police said the passport was found "near the body of one of the attackers" in the investigation into the main attack of Friday's carnage, at the Bataclan concert hall, where 82 people were killed.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by sabad66
    Has there been any confirmation that the paris attacks were executed by refugees (the same ones that Canada is bringing in)? i keep hearing this from people but haven't seen any real source.
    It was suspected since Friday, but confirmed yesterday via fingerprints.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/15/europe...cks-passports/

That's why today so many government officials from around the world all of a sudden wants to slam the door shut on Syrian refugees. They were all waiting for the confirmation.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '03 S2000

Originally posted by Modelexis

I wonder if you have changed your tune on this issue due to the recent events in Paris...
    Is it okay now to be scared that the government is not qualified to screen possible dangers when allowing refugees into the country?
    How many dead bodies will it take?
    This past weekend (Saturday) I had coffee with someone who is involved in getting the Syrian people re-settled locally and he said there is nothing in place ... nothing. No one knows who is doing what, where people are going, food, lodging etc. etc.

Nothing.

They are not ready for 2,500 people and this is definitely going to take more than a month to get logistics in place.

I sincerely hope Trudeau puts aside politics and listens to the Saskatchewan premier in this case! I would not criticise him for a delay to make sure this happens right.

Also, I figure the screening is in the same shape if they don't have the other basics in place. Apparently there is no knowledge of who or what outfit is going to do this, procedures etc. Yikes!
    "I don't look for something; I find something" - Picasso

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by jwslam
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...plan-1.3321159

Sask. Premier Brad Wall asks feds to suspend Syrian refugee plan

https://twitter.com/PremierBradWall/...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
    Nenshi's stand.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...nshi-1.3321682

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Where is Nenshi planning to house these people? Oh wait, we need more secondary suites....

Seriously there is nothing wrong with slowing down the process. Nenshi is not welcoming Uber with open arms but will an unscreened and unknown threat.

My Ride
    oooo

IMO this video is bit much, but it's gaining traction in Europe apparently.

With Open Gates
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by OU812
    Seriously there is nothing wrong with slowing down the process. Nenshi is not welcoming Uber with open arms but will an unscreened and unknown threat.
    Exactly. Why does it matter if we accept 25k IMMEDIATELY RIGHT NOW or 25k spread out over the next year plus whatever else we would normally take?

Oh, right, political pandering.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

We are presented with an opportunity to show our humanity at a critical point in the lives of others.

Some will come to cause problems.

Most will come to find a new home.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
    Where is Nenshi planning to house these people? Oh wait, we need more secondary suites....
    This is going to create a crunch on the rental market here because of volume and then hit affordability. I don't think you can find a place for a family of 4 for $700/month, let alone when prices rise.

What will be interesting to see is if, price excluded from the situation, people are going to be screening tenants based on whether or not they are refugees brought into Canada under this program.

Originally posted by A790
    We are presented with an opportunity to show our humanity at a critical point in the lives of others.

Some will come to cause problems.

Most will come to find a new home.
    Fair enough. But people are not asking for the process to be slowed down because "OMG brown people!!". They want answers to legitimate concerns about cost and security.

We don't NEED 25,000 refugees in the next 6 weeks. But we do need to know what it is going to cost, how it will be handled and how the government will makes sure no one who is a potential risk will be admitted. So far, all those questions have not been answered and it seems that everyone who wants those answers is being unjustly vilified.

There is no acceptable margin of error when it comes to potential security threats being admitted. If the government can't be certain someone isn't a risk, then they should not be admitted.

We can show our humanity, but we should not risk our own security in the process.
    Last edited by FraserB; 11-16-2015 at 05:46 PM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    '03 S2000

Originally posted by Aleks

Nenshi's stand.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...nshi-1.3321682
    Sheesh....sounds like Neeshi is talking without knowledge ... again. Good grief.

R

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Lets build a camp in Nunavut where they can be safely housed in heated trailer camps and screened and they they can be relocated.

win/win

My Ride
    '03 S2000

Lets build a camp in Nunavut where they can be safely housed in heated trailer camps and screened and they they can be relocated.

win/win
    Hmmmm....might be some empty work camps in Fort McMurray.

R

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by reijo

Hmmmm....might be some empty work camps in Fort McMurray.

R
    It would be cheaper to stick them in hotels.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

win/win
    Except the cost of sending or doing anything in Nunavut is ridiculously expensive.

A return plane ticket to Norman Wells, NWT was $1700 this summer
    Ultracrepidarian

win/win
    why not build camp in syria or middle in safe area, then relocate once screened and approval

My Ride
    NC1

Well if Germany can take in 500K+ already and they are half the size of Alberta. We got this right? right?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

If this is a Liberal thing, maybe all 25,000 should be placed in Liberal ridings.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

Originally posted by FraserB

....people are not asking for the process to be slowed down because "OMG brown people!!". They want answers to legitimate concerns about cost and security.

We don't NEED 25,000 refugees in the next 6 weeks. But we do need to know what it is going to cost, how it will be handled and how the government will makes sure no one who is a potential risk will be admitted. So far, all those questions have not been answered and it seems that everyone who wants those answers is being unjustly vilified.

There is no acceptable margin of error when it comes to potential security threats being admitted. If the government can't be certain someone isn't a risk, then they should not be admitted.

We can show our humanity, but we should not risk our own security in the process.
    This guy gets it.

Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast