Quantcast
Here comes the trainwreck - 2,300 refugees into Calgary in the next 6-8 weeks - Page 23 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23 24 33 ... LastLast

Thread: Here comes the trainwreck - 2,300 refugees into Calgary in the next 6-8 weeks

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb

My biggest complaint about this whole thing is that it's during such a catastrophic economic crisis for many albertans. I see families that can barely lie right now, and qualify for no assistance other than two food bank hampers. And that disgusts me. No person should have to go a year without work while the government spends money to save people from other countries.

Take care of your own people first.
    And that my friend, is the pointy end of the argument that no one politically or publicly is addressing.

This single point is the strongest point of contention for people who question the arrival of any refugee. IMHO.

One doesn't need to show a precedent, nor a penchant for bringing homeless or drug addicts off the street in order to question this decision. I ask, why as a society are we willing to engage a tidal wave of responsibility, when we are not responsible with our own problems?

I understand the outcry and the humanity to help. I really do. As a 1 gen immigrant, I get it. But, seriously.
    Last edited by R154; 11-20-2015 at 11:26 AM.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My biggest complaint about this whole thing is that it's during such a catastrophic economic crisis for many albertans. I see families that can barely lie right now, and qualify for no assistance other than two food bank hampers. And that disgusts me. No person should have to go a year without work while the government spends money to save people from other countries.

Take care of your own people first.
    Stop making sense.

The self righteous "bleeding heart" persona, is another nail in the descending human coffin.

And that might not be a bad thing.

Originally posted by R154

And that my friend, is the pointy end of the argument that no one politically or publicly is addressing.

This single point is the strongest point of contention for people who question the arrival of any refugee. IMHO.

One doesn't need to show a precedent, nor a penchant for bringing homeless or drug addicts off the street in order to question this decision. I ask, why as a society are we willing to engage a tidal wave of responsibility, when we are not responsible with our own problems?

I understand the outcry and the humanity to help. I really do. As a 1 gen immigrant, I get it. But, seriously.
    Well said.

Well... The reason not to help your own people who have been here is: That they are already here and you already gave them a chance or two, or three.

Bringing in newbie rookies with little to no experience can pay off in spades later (Ok, bad hockey analogy - but it still fits)

Say you are a *cough* white guy on a fifth bankruptcy *Donald Trump* *cough* and the entire nation is full of them - and now they are all at the food bank in their old age. I'd be looking for new talent as well - Doesn't matter if they are untrained and can't speak the language if they have the correct attitude.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

Well... The reason not to help your own people who have been here is: That they are already here and you already gave them a chance or two, or three.

Bringing in newbie rookies with little to no experience can pay off in spades later (Ok, bad hockey analogy - but it still fits)

Say you are a *cough* white guy on a fifth bankruptcy *Donald Trump* *cough* and the entire nation is full of them - and now they are all at the food bank in their old age. I'd be looking for new talent as well - Doesn't matter if they are untrained and can't speak the language if they have the correct attitude.
    Unique perspective I had not thought of yet.
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Suddenly, everyone cares about the homeless now that refugees are coming. How much was everyone doing for the homeless before the refugee crisis, same as now (nothing)?

/pot stir
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

The only question I would have here is why do those families not qualify for assistance of more than two food bank hampers, and who is responsible for that happening?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

Originally posted by Canmorite
    Suddenly, everyone cares about the homeless now that refugees are coming. How much was everyone doing for the homeless before the refugee crisis, same as now (nothing)?

/pot stir
    Do you not understand how twisted this logic is? People don't have to care or support X, to speak against Y. Besides that, you're also making a huge assumption that many of us don't care about the state of the economy right now and don't help those less fortunate.

What were you doing prior to the liberal government's plan of rushing in 25,000 refugees? Was it your moral obligation then to help those overseas struggling in poverty and crisis? Or was it not until the government instilled this obligation into a bunch of bleeding hearts that it HAD to be done in this manner?

I'm genuinely asking, you see I'm not going to just assume that you don't care about those struggling here or overseas, like you tried to do with us.

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

I don't usually agree with Chris Matthews, but he brings up a great point that hasn't been mentioned if true. His answer is easy, in that why would you fight for your own country, when Germany has promised virtually anyone who arrives free entitlements and social benefits. It has eliminated any chance of a stable return to Syria for Syrian citizens.

https://youtu.be/a8wuPlIBR8w

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

/pot stir
    Exactly.

But more bad news out today. Conservatives lied about budget, and left more deficit than they claimed.

So even more ammunition for the how will we pay for it crowd.
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

/pot stir
    Does nearly $5,000 worth of donations to the CIFB and a couple hundred to both the United Way and the poppy drive allow me to ask questions?

Or is that not doing enough for you?
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Originally posted by FraserB

Does nearly $5,000 worth of donations to the CIFB and a couple hundred to both the United Way and the poppy drive allow me to ask questions?

Dont even bother rationalizing it.

It makes him and others like him feel like there is legitimacy in his statement.
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

I can't speak for any of the other posters, but I am not referring to anyone not doing anything philanthropic, but more just to the specific circumstance where the same people who for years have complained about the government wasting money by helping people like the homeless, welfare recipients, etc, but then turn around and say that using money to help the refugees is wrong "when we should be helping our own homeless, welfare recipients etc"...

This was not a hack at any specific individual but a blanket observation to those that are guilty of this. Whether on my group of facebook friends, on this forum, or on the multitude of others we peruse, they will know who they are without me having to point fingers individually.

Originally posted by roopi

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Funny I have see a different version of that meme

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Originally posted by HuMz
    I don't usually agree with Chris Matthews, but he brings up a great point that hasn't been mentioned if true. His answer is easy, in that why would you fight for your own country, when Germany has promised virtually anyone who arrives free entitlements and social benefits. It has eliminated any chance of a stable return to Syria for Syrian citizens.

https://youtu.be/a8wuPlIBR8w
    Germany still feels guilty over that thing that happened a few decades ago.

They let in tons and tons of refugees from all over.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Originally posted by suntan
    Germany still feels guilty over that thing that happened a few decades ago.

They let in tons and tons of refugees from all over.
    Not really, they let in migrants and refugees as the flood of people made it near impossible to distinguish the two effectively. While I don't support a timeline based or number based strategy for bringing refugees into Canada it is worth pointing out that the European nations had the shit disadvantage of being landlocked with the countries of origin. A shit ton of people showed up at their doorstep.

Canada's situation is more "and you get to come, and you. And you." We don't have the border pressure EU nations did/do.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by HuMz

Do you not understand how twisted this logic is? People don't have to care or support X, to speak against Y. Besides that, you're also making a huge assumption that many of us don't care about the state of the economy right now and don't help those less fortunate.

What were you doing prior to the liberal government's plan of rushing in 25,000 refugees? Was it your moral obligation then to help those overseas struggling in poverty and crisis? Or was it not until the government instilled this obligation into a bunch of bleeding hearts that it HAD to be done in this manner?

I'm genuinely asking, you see I'm not going to just assume that you don't care about those struggling here or overseas, like you tried to do with us.

Pot stirred! I was simply pointing out the hypocrisy in this thread from some members. If you're not one of them, why worry?

Originally posted by tirebob
    I can't speak for any of the other posters, but I am not referring to anyone not doing anything philanthropic, but more just to the specific circumstance where the same people who for years have complained about the government wasting money by helping people like the homeless, welfare recipients, etc, but then turn around and say that using money to help the refugees is wrong "when we should be helping our own homeless, welfare recipients etc"...
    My point exactly. I'm sure that yes, there are those that do their part and also have realistic concerns regarding refugees. Obviously, FraserB is one of those people. I too donate time and money. It's just amazing to see those who never give two shits about homeless people all of sudden care significantly about the issue.
    Last edited by Canmorite; 11-21-2015 at 12:21 PM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 01:58 PM.

Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23 24 33 ... LastLast