Quantcast
Here comes the trainwreck - 2,300 refugees into Calgary in the next 6-8 weeks - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 35 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Here comes the trainwreck - 2,300 refugees into Calgary in the next 6-8 weeks

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Default Here comes the trainwreck - 2,300 refugees into Calgary in the next 6-8 weeks

This should play hell with the rental market, getting 3 times the number of refugees we see in a year, all in the span of 8 weeks.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...haos-1.3314646

Not sure where they think a family of four is going to find accommodations for $700 a month. Unless of course they start down the road Europe has and force rentals.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I have my reservations in the first place. While the Conservatives were doing NOTHING to help these people, I feel the floodgate approach by the Liberals is making the reverse mistake of accepting these refugees without proper screening or plans on how we will take care of them all.

No matter what, I guess it's better for them than the living conditions they are experiencing right now....

In the short term, I think they should consider utilizing the huge influx of commercial property that has become available due to this downturn, then find these families *appropriate* accommodation as it becomes available.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Originally posted by Kloubek
    I have my reservations in the first place. While the Conservatives were doing NOTHING to help these people, I feel the floodgate approach by the Liberals is making the reverse mistake of accepting these refugees without proper screening or plans on how we will take care of them all.
    Germany was setting the example for the world a few months ago and now are screaming "make it stop!"

My Ride
    Pushbroom

I'll be the guy to say it, but why are these refugees our goddamn problem? Why the liberals seem to think that it's ok to allow these people in with barely a security check, is beyond me. Make no mistake, there will be criminals and terrorists in the bunch who slip through the screening process.

Also, what do all of these Muslims think of the Catholic immigration society helping them?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Because white mans burden

Oh wait...
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Okay... In all seriousness... How does anyone know they are not getting properly screened? Just because they are getting moved to the front of the line does not necessarily mean they are not screening them no? If they are just getting flooded in with no verification I too am a bit leary, but if they are getting screened I have no issue... Any actual evidence this is happening?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Because if the department was staffed to let in 3*X claims a week a month ago. They aren't hiring any new people ( let alone a magnitude of people) and they are now letting in 10*X claims a week something has to give. What is giving is that they are rubber stamping claims rather than looking into their legitimacy.

It's really simple.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

You simply can't screen for the cultural clash that is occurring. Just look at the problems occuring in Europe now, do you really want yourself, your wife, daughter, kids exposed to that?
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

While I feel for them, there are so many people already in Calgary who need a handout / hand up (whatever you want to call it) before any refugee does. Let's fix our own problems before bringing in more people that are going to become a burden on tax payers.

My Ride
    Has wheels

Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
    I'll be the guy to say it, but why are these refugees our goddamn problem? Why the liberals seem to think that it's ok to allow these people in with barely a security check, is beyond me. Make no mistake, there will be criminals and terrorists in the bunch who slip through the screening process.

Originally posted by nickyh
    While I feel for them, there are so many people already in Calgary who need a handout / hand up (whatever you want to call it) before any refugee does. Let's fix our own problems before bringing in more people that are going to become a burden on tax payers.
    Exact thing I said during a conversation with a family member, only our conversation was of the whole country.
    Last edited by brucebanner; 11-11-2015 at 07:09 PM.

My Ride
    something green

The 25k number is starting to backfire on Trudeau already, I think it was on QR77, someone from the CBSA said they can't process that number of people on the timeline he was campaigning on. Then there was some provincial and municipal politicians flinging the doors open with their mouths, now some are saying they don't know how they are going to handle the numbers being allocated to them...
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    Bicycle

1. Nobody knows the plan or if they are even going to make it.

2. Most won't be in Alberta for long given our current economic status, my guess they will end up in GTA or Montreal, where there is a sizeable Syrian community.

IMO, there will be conflicts but it won't be much worse than Vietnamese gang issue. Some Syrians are quite westernized and progressive. The question is making sure they say who they are and accept complete family unit first.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Just who the hell is paying for all of this? Where are these people getting the money to pay rent? And for how long?
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    Just who the hell is paying for all of this? Where are these people getting the money to pay rent? And for how long?
    I was just post that!

A family of four, for example, gets $1,542 a month and a rent allowance of $695.
    Where's the money coming from? Take care of our veterans and homeless first?!

/stating the obvious
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by FraserB
    You simply can't screen for the cultural clash that is occurring. Just look at the problems occuring in Europe now, do you really want yourself, your wife, daughter, kids exposed to that?
    I think our boy Tomco summed it up nicely years ago. Society you can't handle it, 2015 or not. I don't care what you SJW's say etc. Politicians only say it to get votes.

Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Let's face reality here, without these ethnic buffers (malls, stores, ethnic contractors, etc...) society just can't handle cultral integration. You don't believe me? How would you feel like if your teenaged caucasian daughter came home dating an Asian boy? (come on be honest) Or would you rather the Azn boy hang out at an Asian mall picking up his "own kind"?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

Originally posted by Kloubek

No matter what, I guess it's better for them than the living conditions they are experiencing right now....

In the short term, I think they should consider utilizing the huge influx of commercial property that has become available due to this downturn, then find these families *appropriate* accommodation as it becomes available.
    2300 is a floodgate?

Proper screening?

I thought melodrama was only in the afternoon soap operas.
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

I am not sure how I feel about this situation yet.
    I really haven't been paying attention to this until we decided to accept 25,000 by the end of the year.

On a lighter note, I hope we pick the cream of the crop, we have enough entitled little shits here.

https://youtu.be/Q_XHkgScOSY?t=36s

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

Those worried about keeping Canada ethnically pure, or the right balance of ethnicity, or whatever you are worried about, hasn't been to Market Mall, or driven by a Calgary high school.

And as far as I can tell, we are only taking in half of what Canada's military, or former military general said it can screen and take in within this time frame.
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by max_boost
    I was just post that!

Where's the money coming from? Take care of our veterans and homeless first?!

/stating the obvious
    Not even the vets or homeless. We are in a recession.. Why the hell are we bringing in refugees? We need to be taking care of ourselves first and foremost.

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

Originally posted by firebane

Not even the vets or homeless. We are in a recession.. Why the hell are we bringing in refugees? We need to be taking care of ourselves first and foremost.
    I suspect most people here, are in Canada, the same way most Canadians are.

Through good fortune and opportunity. Not through any sepcial meritorious action. I find people with that good fortune, exhibiting some form of entitlement, quite interesting.
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

Page 1 of 35 1 2 11 ... LastLast