Quantcast
Question on the legality of making a part of your car look like a police car. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Question on the legality of making a part of your car look like a police car.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Default Question on the legality of making a part of your car look like a police car.

So, in my travels last night, I spotted a cab, that I REALLY had to take a second look at, because I thought it was a police officer...

It was a checker yellow cab, from the B pillar forward, it looked just like any other checker cab. However, from the B-pillar back, it looked exactly like a CPS cop car in the new black and white livery. it had full logos, the works, plus a few additional decals from MADD, and a few other smaller stickers saying which would you prefer to drive you home?

By the time I looped back to try and get a picture of it, it was gone...If I see it again, I will grab a picture of it, but my google-fu isn't turning up anything either.

*edit* google-fu did help...it can be found on checker's FB cover photo.
    https://www.facebook.com/checkertransportation/

But my question is, is this breaking the law? I mean, I assume MADD and Checker got permission to do this, but you can get permission to do a lot of things that might contravene the law for some specific circumstances.

Just wondering what the general consensus of this is.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I thought it's kosher as long as it doesn't have the red/white/blue strobes.

EDIT:

http://www.calgary.ca/cps/Pages/Traf...fications.aspx

white in front, red at the back with amber for turns. All other colors are illegal.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 11-16-2015 at 11:52 AM.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Checker and MADD worked directly with the Calgary Police and City for this, and not only that it is pretty clear to see it's not a police vehicle because of the 50/50 split. I doubt many people will mistake this vehicle as a police car. The intent and message is positive and as Xtrema stated, no strobes so it's not like the taxi is pretending to be a police car or trying to trick people.

Can I do this for my Uber?

There was a white Astrovan that used to park near Somerset station. It had the blue and purple stripes on it like the old Calgary Transit vehicles, but it didn't have the actual logo. It took me months to realize it wasn't a CT van.

Every now and then it was parked in an area that a normal car couldn't park. This was like 10 years ago though, before ParkPlus cameras and shit. I wonder if he got busted.

EDIT: Stripe picture for reference

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by Mibz
    There was a white Astrovan that used to park near Somerset station. It had the blue and purple stripes on it like the old Calgary Transit vehicles, but it didn't have the actual logo. It took me months to realize it wasn't a CT van.

Every now and then it was parked in an area that a normal car couldn't park. This was like 10 years ago though, before ParkPlus cameras and shit. I wonder if he got busted.

EDIT: Stripe picture for reference

http://www.busdrawings.com/Transit/a...fii/7939_2.jpg
    Probably looked pretty cool

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Originally posted by Xtrema
    I thought it's kosher as long as it doesn't have the red/white/blue strobes.

EDIT:

http://www.calgary.ca/cps/Pages/Traf...fications.aspx

white in front, red at the back with amber for turns. All other colors are illegal.
    Yup, that would explain why I continually see people with blue or green or red lights in the front of their vehicles.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

The word POLICE cannot be displayed at anytime.

Otherwise, as long as they have permission to use the CPS crest, its legal (as far as colours).

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

There is some security company (I think) that parks their cars on Edmonton Trail by the no-name gas place. (Close to the connecter). Black and white - well before Calgary police used those colours. If they weren't so old and dumpy I'd say those too could be easily mistaken as cop cars.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-06-2020 at 12:24 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!