Quantcast
The Road Chose Me: Driving a Jeep Wrangler around Africa - Page 15 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: The Road Chose Me: Driving a Jeep Wrangler around Africa

My Ride
    2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Hi All,

After taking the extremely remote Lake Turkana route up into Ethiopia, I immediately bumped into these guys

This is the first country I have seen civilains with AKs (or really any guns) and suddenly they are everywhere.

After all this time on the continent, I finally got to hold one too. Much smaller and lighter than I expected. It was loaded while I was playing with it too.

More here: http://theroadchoseme.com/into-ethiopia

I made a stop at a Mursi village before driving myself into a huge gas shortage that is impacting all of Ethiopia. I manage to find some, and a few times I buy from the black market out of containers. It does the trick, the Jeep doesn't seem to complain no matter what I put in the tank

More here: http://theroadchoseme.com/the-mursi-people

After swinging through the capital of Addis Abba to pickup a couple more visas I have driven into the seldom-visted country of Djibouti, and I immidiately feel like I have driven onto another planet.
    This is like nothing I've ever seen before

More here: http://theroadchoseme.com/lake-abbe-pt-1
    and here: http://theroadchoseme.com/lake-abbe-pt-2

Although I'm getting close to the end, it feels like there is still a lifetime of adventure in front of me.

Next I go back into Ethiopia before pushing through Sudan and into Egypt, the final destination!

-Dan
    Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler JK @ The Road Chose Me (previously Alaska->Argentina in a TJ)
    --
    Follow: Facebook / Twitter / Instagram / YouTube
    --
    WikiOverland.org - Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by Grecy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

After swinging through the capital of Addis Abba to pickup a couple more visas I have driven into the seldom-visted country of Djibouti, and I immidiately feel like I have driven onto another planet.
    You're not kidding - that looks truly otherwordly!

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Wow those are amazing sights! Stay safe

My Ride

Hi All,

I drove back over the horrendous road and into Ethiopia, and after driving the Jeep to over 14,080 ft. in the Simien Mountains in Ethiopia, I was happy to make it out of that country safely and without incident.

In all my expeditions around the world, Ethiopia is the only country I have ever felt unsafe in, and certainly very unwelcome.
    It's a beautiful place, but it has some serious problems right now. Unfortunately I feel like I can't recommend a visit, which is really sad.

You can read about the mountains here
    http://theroadchoseme.com/the-simien-mountains-part-1
    and here
    http://theroadchoseme.com/the-simien-mountains-part-2

And now I have driven into African country number 34, Sudan!

The border was time consuming, but more-or-less what I have come to accept as normal. Dropping out of the mountains the temperature skyrocketed well over 110F.
    Border crossing story here: http://theroadchoseme.com/ethiopia-ends-into-sudan

For the first night I just wild camped off the road. Everyone says it's insanely safe here, and I have felt welcome right from the get-go.

Now in Sudan, I just paid $0.35/gal for gas - easily the cheapest I have ever paid on the continent, and in my life. It's nice to get a whole tank for $7 !

People here are insanely friendly, and now I'm looking forward to wild camping out in the desert!

Full story about what Sudan feels like here: http://theroadchoseme.com/to-khartoum

I can't believe I only have one more border to cross. After almost three years on the road it's going to be very surreal to "finish".

-Dan
    Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler JK @ The Road Chose Me (previously Alaska->Argentina in a TJ)
    --
    --
    WikiOverland.org - Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.

My Ride

Hi All,

I have driven the length of Sudan, exploring the desert and wild camping every single night.

Tons more photos on my website.

Now after crossing the most expensive, complicated and convoluted border of my life, I have driven into Egypt. The 35th and final African country on this expedition!

All the details on the border crossing and madness here: http://theroadchoseme.com/into-egypt

I'm loving this place already!

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi All,

After almost three years, 35 countries and over 53,000 miles, I have driven right around Africa, and arrived at the Giza Pyramids in Egypt!

I am absolutely ecstatic!!

Read the full story: http://theroadchoseme.com/cairo-pyramids-of-giza

Now only the final hurdle remains - shipping the Jeep out of Egypt!

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Congrats, Dan - what an amazing journey!

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Incredible journey. Glad you are safe and sound. Couldnt even start to imagine what youve seen and experienced. Thanks for sharing

My Ride
    Audi

congrats Dan! What an incredible journey it has been for you and I feel privileged that you've shared it with us !

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Unbelievable journey! Glad you made the whole trek without any crazy incidents

My Ride

Hi Everyone,

After the most insane paperwork run-around and bureaucracy of my life, I managed to drive the Jeep into a 20 foot shipping container and seal the door.

Immediately I felt like I was separated from a good friend, a really strange feeling.

After 999 days, I hopped on a plane, and the Jeep is crossing the mighty North Atlantic.

You can read about the insanity here: http://theroadchoseme.com/africa-ends

I'm still in disbelief that it's over.

More updates to come, including tons of info on costs, what I would do differently, how the Jeep performed, etc. etc.

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Amazing Dan. Truly inspirational.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Do you think fuel shortages would have been more difficult if you had completed this adventure with the OM606 conversion?
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by zipdoa View Post
    Do you think fuel shortages would have been more difficult if you had completed this adventure with the OM606 conversion?
    I think same level of difficulty. Some countries had no gas, some had no diesel. Just go with whatever you have, that's most important!

-Dan

- - - Updated - - -

Hil All,

The Jeep has arrived in North America, and now I'm on a mission.

I'm presenting, showing the Jeep and speaking on panels at Overland Expo in Flagstaff, AZ next weekend (17th, 18th, 19th May).

I will also be at many other Overland/4x4 shows over the summer, the full list is here: http://theroadchoseme.com/touring-ov...-shows-in-2019

Let me know if there is a show you think I should go to that isn't on the list currently.

Also, after months of work (It started back in Nairobi, Kenya), I have published my coffee table photography book of Africa!

With 77 full color pages containing a double-page spread on every country, info on the Jeep, the expedition and some fun numbers and quirks too. Each country is a blend of people, landscapes, wildlife and daily life – the parts of Africa that I will never forget.

The Jeep and I make the odd appearance too.

It's available now on Amazon!: https://amzn.to/2H93IUH

-Dan
    --
    --

Awesome journey!

How long did it take to get the vehicle back to North America, and which port did you ship it to?

My Ride

Hi All,

I imagine everyone has tons of questions about the whole expedition, so I'm doing an "Ask Me Anything" on Reddit.com right now.

Come on over and ask me absolutely anything about the expedition.

It's all on the table - safety, money, health, budget, visas, route, people, animals, the Jeep.

You ask it, I'll answer it.

Go here: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen..._said_i_would/

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi All,

I'm moving around North America displaying the Jeep and giving presentations and talks about what I've done.

This weekend I'm at the Bantam Jeep Heritage Festival in Butler County, Pennsylvania. It's been great to meet so many people that have followed, and even a ton of people that had no idea what Overlanding is, but are stoked to get out there and have adventures.

Last night I took the Jeep into downtown Butler, PA for the "Jeep Invasion" where they shut down the city with a ton of cool Jeeps on display. It was a great night, and the Jeep stood out like a sore thumb with the roof up.

I'm at Bantam all weekend, come on by and say hello!

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

What a journey Dan, thank you for sharing it will all of us. Glad you made it out safe and sound!
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride

Hi All,

I'm touring the US this summer, speaking at shows, talking about what I did, telling stories and showing off the Jeep.

I'm on the scheudle at all of the below to speak, display, etc.

Let me know if there is another show you think I should go to.

Please stop by the Jeep and say hello!

I keep adding new shows to my schedule for the summer - the current list looks like this.

If you know of a show you think I should be attending/presenting at, please let me know!

Big Sky Overland Rally
    near Missoula, Montana
    July 26-28

Rocky Mountain Overland Rally
    Gunnison, Colorado
    August 1-4

Toledo Jeep Festival
    Toledo, Ohio
    August 9-11

Jeep Jam
    Wilmington, Ohio
    August 16-19

Appalachian Rendezvous
    Uwharrie, North Carolina
    September 12-15

Overland Expo EAST
    Arrington, Virginia
    October 11-13

Virginia Root Top Tent Rally
    Gladstone, Virginia
    October 18-20

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride
    ute

What now?. Africa clockwise?

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 LastLast