Quantcast
The Road Chose Me: Driving a Jeep Wrangler around Africa - Page 16 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16

Thread: The Road Chose Me: Driving a Jeep Wrangler around Africa

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Asia Clockwise.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Asia Clockwise.
    everyone knows you do asia counter-clockwise.

My Ride
    2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

My summer is rolling on, showing the Jeep and telling stories. It's a little surreal meeting people who have been following me the whole time, though also great fun.

THIS WEEKEND (Aug 23/24) I'm showing the Jeep and speaking at the Great Smokey Mountain Jeep Invasion in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.
    The Jeep will be on display inside the convention center where I'll be giving tours and telling stories.

As a special guest of the Southern Four Wheel Drive Association I am presenting my African Adventure from 4pm-5pm on both Friday and Saturday.
    I'll be speaking in classroom #1.

See you there!

-Dan
    Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler JK @ The Road Chose Me (previously Alaska->Argentina in a TJ)
    --
    Follow: Facebook / Twitter / Instagram / YouTube
    --
    WikiOverland.org - Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.

My Ride

Hi All,

I've been busy for the winter writing the book about my Africa Expedition.
    The new book is called "The Road Chose Me Volume 2: Three years and 54,000 miles Around Africa"
    It's almost finished, and I've just started a Kickstarter to get it across the line.

It contains all the adventures, all the misadventures and a ton of stuff I've never written or spoken about publicly before. It also contains all the lessons I learned in Africa, and how the reality on the ground is so vastly different than the perception the media gives us.

For the Kickstarter there are a bunch of different reward teirs including stickers, patches, my photography book, my first book about Alaska to Argentina and a canvas wrap print of my favourite photo from Africa.

Name:  trcmv2-kickstarter-square.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  70.1 KB

-Dan
    Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler JK @ The Road Chose Me (previously Alaska->Argentina in a TJ)
    --
    --
    WikiOverland.org - Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.

My Ride
    LNF

Quote Originally Posted by Grecy View Post
    Hi All,

The new book is called "The Road Chose Me Volume 2: Three years and 54,000 miles Around Africa"
    It's almost finished, and I've just started a Kickstarter to get it across the line.

-Dan
    Can't wait to read this one.. i just picked up your book on South America.

My Ride

Hi All,

The number one question I get asked after driving the length of the Pan-American Highway from Alaska to Argentina and all the way around Africa is how much does it all cost.

In this video I get right down to it, and give actual numbers not just from my experience, but also from other overlanders out there really doing it.

https://youtu.be/XeR3SncZkv0

I've transitioned to YouTube, with the goal of teaching you everything you need to know to get out there on your own global expedition.

I know money is a hot topic, so In the coming months I'll be posting a ton more videos about it - how to save, how to earn money on the road, how to get sponsors, how to get published, etc. etc.

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride
    is Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by Grecy View Post
    Hi All,

It contains all the adventures, all the misadventures and a ton of stuff I've never written or spoken about publicly before. It also contains all the lessons I learned in Africa, and how the reality on the ground is so vastly different than the perception the media gives us.

For the Kickstarter there are a bunch of different reward teirs including stickers, patches, my photography book, my first book about Alaska to Argentina and a canvas wrap print of my favourite photo from Africa.

-Dan
    Hey Dan, is there a way to still purchase this book as I noticed that the kickstarter has now ended?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by adidas View Post
    Hey Dan, is there a way to still purchase this book as I noticed that the kickstarter has now ended?
    The new book (about Africa) will be for sale on Amazon shortly!
    Print or digital

-Dan
    --
    --

My Ride

Hi Everyone,

After a huge amount of work I'm proud to announce I've published my second major book, documenting my entire expedition around Africa.

'The Road Chose Me Volume 2: Three years and 54,000 miles around Africa' is available now in paperback and eBook format.

Amazon (Paperback and eBook): https://amzn.to/3pnVKu6
    Apple Books (eBook): https://apple.co/34GYBXd

Name:  the-road-chose-me-volume-2-cover.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  86.2 KB

This book documents my entire three year African expedition from start to finish. It covers the preparation, the adventures, the characters I met, the misadventures, the logistics, touches on politics and my loneliness and so, so much more.
    At 375 pages it’s 50% bigger than my first book, and it has been an enormous amount of work to bring this to life!

INTRODUCTION
    (From the book)

Bumping along a gravel road in Guatemala with my friend Kate I clearly remember discussing overland travel and what it might mean for my life. Two continuous years exploring foreign countries was substantially bigger than anything I had attempted before. To be perfectly honest, I still wasn’t sure it was for me.

“There are really only two options,” I said.
    “Either this Alaska to Argentina drive satisfies my urge and I’ll never do this kind of thing again, or I’ll be addicted for life.”

The fact this book exists tells you which way that went.

When I set out to drive from Alaska to Argentina I didn’t know what to expect. I knew almost nothing about border crossings, bribery or if I could learn another language. My plan was to go until I didn’t enjoy it any more, then do something else with my life. This meant I didn’t feel any pressure. If my little Jeep got stolen or destroyed I could simply walk away. I hadn’t made any promises, and virtually nobody outside my family knew of The Road Chose Me.

The Africa expedition was very different from the start. I began planning and dreaming fully aware of what I was getting into. I knew how disciplined I would have to be while saving money, and how difficult it would be to leave my comfortable life behind. I knew the depths of loneliness that were in front of me, and how hard it would be to push through my fears and doubts. To put it simply, I knew exactly what I was signing myself up for – or at least I thought I did.

I again quit my job and sold everything I wasn’t taking, and I promised a lot of people I would complete the lap around Africa. Once I committed, I was all in. There would be no turning back or stopping early this time. I knew an expedition all the way around Africa would be an enormous adventure, and it turned out to be a thousand times more than even I dreamed possible.

Africa and her people taught me so much and I feel a great responsibility to do their story justice. After three months I thought I knew everything. Then after twelve months I realized that was all garbage and I had a new perspective. This learning process was continuous as I tried to keep my eyes and ears open to the world I was experiencing.

Like volume one, this book contains more than just tales of adventure, but also the lifelong lessons I will never forget. Fair warning, some lessons are controversial and will be difficult for readers in the developed world. I learned volumes about how the world views and treats Africa, making it impossible not to touch on politics. To be perfectly honest, most of what I learned makes me sick to my stomach. I hope you will keep an open mind as you make this journey of discovery with me.

Throughout the expedition the endless kindness and warmth of the African people was a constant. Without their love and encouragement my dream wouldn’t have been possible.

So much is outside my control while on these expeditions I often feel as if I’m on a roller coaster, taking the unexpected twists and turns as they come. All I can do is plant a smile on my face, hold on and enjoy the ride. So strap yourself in as we embark on the adventure of a lifetime.

-Dan

Also available, as a companion to the written account of the journey is a 75 page full color photography book from the expedition.
    In this book I have a double-page spread from each of the 35 countries I visited, showing the stunning landscapes, wildlife, people and wild places I visited.

'999 Days Around Africa: The Road Chose me' is available as a full-color photography book:

Amazon (printed color book): https://amzn.to/2H93IUH

Name:  999-days-compilation.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  124.8 KB
    --
    --

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I bought both your books tonight. Your link goes to amazon.com where as I was able to buy them on amazon Canada and on prime.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16