Quantcast
Deborah Drever Introduces Private Member Bill Addressing Domestic Abuse - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Deborah Drever Introduces Private Member Bill Addressing Domestic Abuse

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Default Deborah Drever Introduces Private Member Bill Addressing Domestic Abuse

Remember her? The MLA who got kicked out of the NDP for her social media posts. Turns out she is actually doing something.

Link

Independent MLA Deborah Drever_is trying to accomplish the rare feat of passing a private member’s bill and in the process make_it easier for victims of domestic violence_to_flee abuse.

Drever’s Bill 204 would_amend the Residential Tenancies Act to_allow domestic violence victims to_break a lease early and without penalty. If a person_can demonstrate_they or their children are in danger, they can receive a signed certificate from a list of professionals — such as a judge, nurse, police officer or social worker — compelling the landlord to terminate the lease. The law would also effectively allow a victim to remove an abuser’s name from a lease.
    I myself made fun of her and propped her up as an example of an unqualified politician who would make six figures for being a nobody backbencher. I'm quite surprised. Glad to eat my words on this one. Looks like a good bill. Notley originally tasked her with working on education dealing with domestic abuse then kicked her out two days later.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Default Re: Deborah Drever Introduces Private Member Bill Addressing Domestic Abuse

Originally posted by frizzlefry
    Glad to eat my words on this one.
    More people need to act like that when they realize they took the wrong/inappropriate/whatever stance.

I've been trying really hard lately to be that person.

Get rid of damage deposits altogether. Ontario doesn't allow them.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

“What benefits this bill is that it really is aligned with the NDP’s platform,” she said. “They really are trying to take action to end violence against women.”
    Or ya know, you could provide just the slightest amount of thought to this and realize that she is probably receiving help from the NDP because we all still associate her as one of their dumbasses and it is a topic that doesn't increase support among NDP voters but makes her look good doing it, therefore making the NDP look good.

Naw. She just decided to pickup this cause one day and run with it. You're right, she's a great human being and elected representative now, this has everything to do with her being a compassionate human that empathizes with others and not some circle jerk political pandering.

Shh...

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Well intentioned overall, but it clearly needs a thorough vetting to make sure the proposed changes can't be misused.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Lariat

Originally posted by FraserB
    needs a thorough vetting
    Unlike her and about 1/2 of the NDPers in office
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    Or ya know, you could provide just the slightest amount of thought to this and realize that she is probably receiving help from the NDP because we all still associate her as one of their dumbasses and it is a topic that doesn't increase support among NDP voters but makes her look good doing it, therefore making the NDP look good.
    I smell strategist on this one more than Deborah's own will.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/politi...rk-under-photo

I don't see someone who doodle sexy mofo and post it on twitter and turn into a women abuse crusader in 6 months. It's just an issue that can't be criticized for her to climb back in.

Well intentioned overall, but it clearly needs a thorough vetting to make sure the proposed changes can't be misused.
    Well, as long as they reduce that list to just a judge, why not. Nurse, police officer? They are only good as witness and contribute to a judge's decision. It's not their role to judge. So anyone but a judge, this will be misused. And for real, is lease termination that big of a deal when you are trying to escape a beating?

The way I see it, NDP will pass the bill, pat her on the back and welcome her back into caucus within the next few months.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 11-17-2015 at 05:03 PM.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Originally posted by Xtrema
    And for real, is lease termination that big of a deal when you are trying to escape a beating?
    It can be if her name is on the rental agreement. My cousin is social worker and she sees it time and time again when a woman, who's name is on the rental agreement along with the he abuser, has a hard time cutting him off as she is legally liable for the rental costs. The hubby usually uses it as a tool to sue or otherwise drag her back into the habitation. "You know if you leave I could sue or maybe have the landlord come after you. Why don't you just come home and we'll talk." If they refuse then there is the hit to her credit rating possibly or a court appearance which the abuser can use to get close to her again and whisper sweet nothings in her ear. It is a pretty big deal. Cousin says it's common for an abuser to get the spouses name on a rental agreement and, in the case of a mortgage, keep it off.

It can be a pretty big issue.

Originally posted by Xtrema
    The way I see it, NDP will pass the bill, pat her on the back and welcome her back into caucus within the next few months.
    No disagreement here. But she is actually doing something. Lots of MLAs who are not in the spotlight just nod and sit and get paid. Perhaps her infamy put her in the situation where she had to work but she was locked in for a stable six figure job for a while and could have sat and done nothing, sat back collected cheques.

Just saying she did not choose the easy path and actually did something. Help or not.
    Last edited by frizzlefry; 11-17-2015 at 07:14 PM.

My Ride
    Fozzy XT

Originally posted by suntan
    Get rid of damage deposits altogether. Ontario doesn't allow them.
    I for one would never rent to family without getting a damage deposit first.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 02:04 PM.

My Ride
    something green

Maybe she crafted it based on personal experience.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

That's bill cover material lol

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Not to derail but I just can't figure out where that crotch hand is coming from in that pic.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    G6

Why would she want to get back in with the NDP? They're pretty much doomed in the next election regardless of what they do. If she was smart, she'd start distancing herself from Notley.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Pretty sure she recognizes that this was a pretty sweet 4 year gig, she's not getting re-elected regardless of party

She was on CBC last night talking about this, and it was excruciating to listen to. She not so bright

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

She is as dumb as they fucking come. She was a seat filler for the NDP and has no real clue how the government works.

To think that she was able to figure out how to put together a private member's bill, gather all the required information and check the legalities on her own...

This is Notley's team trying to save face, and have neatly gift wrapped it and gave it to her so that she can rejoin the NDP.

Having said that, I am not sure who I find more stupid in this. The NDP for trying to bring this complete imbecil back into their fold, or Drever for thinking anyone is going to believe she was smart enough to get this done...
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

They always talk about the women abuse, but never mention the men... what about us poor guys in abusive relationships

My Ride
    Lease

The rental system is abused all the time by both landlord/tenants, without this bill already.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by frizzlefry
    No disagreement here. But she is actually doing something. Lots of MLAs who are not in the spotlight just nod and sit and get paid. Perhaps her infamy put her in the situation where she had to work but she was locked in for a stable six figure job for a while and could have sat and done nothing, sat back collected cheques.

Just saying she did not choose the easy path and actually did something. Help or not.
    Actually, she was on the radio last night. Exactly what Sugarphreak and I has guessed. She is still the same dumb kid. This isn't her idea. This is gift wrapped (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...-204-1.3322053) and handed to her by the NDP because nobody will be against this and anyone can defend it.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 11-18-2015 at 10:43 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast